2022 Draft Big Boards, Position Rankings & Mocks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I'm not exactly sure what this means? Or what I'm supposed to take from this?
How about face value… Burks has been more productive vs tight man to man coverage when lined up on the outside than his peers… by a lot.

Does the stat factor the competition for touches some offenses like OSU or Alabama might have… no, but no stat ever provides the full picture

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
How about face value… Burks has been more productive vs tight man to man coverage when lined up on the outside than his peers… by a lot.

Does the stat factor the competition for touches some offenses like OSU or Alabama might have… no, but no stat ever provides the full picture
He almost never saw press coverage from that stat though. And it's yards per route run. So they measured how far the player went downfield against press? Regardless of getting the ball? Seems like this is more a result of scheming then anything else. Unless I'm missing what the stat actually is?

Like Jameson Williams just never gets off the pine when a guy presses him? That just seems hard to believe.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Total yards generated from that alignment under press divided by the number of times they ran it. Total yards— Dotson had over 806 while Burks had 343 and Olave 619.

The stat implies that yardage alone is not telling enough of expected production vs press on the outside from a given play.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Total yards generated from that alignment under press divided by the number of times they ran it. Total yards— Dotson had over 806 while Burks had 343 and Olave 619.

The stat implies that yardage alone is not telling enough of expected production vs press on the outside from a given play.
So basically Burks looks great because when teams pressed him Arkansas just threw at him. And he either rarely played outside or teams rarely pressed him. It tells you something, but I don't think it tells a whole lot.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
So basically Burks looks great because when teams pressed him Arkansas just threw at him. And he either rarely played outside or teams rarely pressed him. It tells you something, but I don't think it tells a whole lot.
Not sure where you get all that :lol

It’s only saying he’s a better option on the outside than the raw yardage numbers would.

That’s it.

I am getting the impression you are not a Burks fan.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

It’s only saying he’s a better option on the outside than the raw yardage numbers would.

That’s it.

I actually like Burks but he scares me a little. Not because he lined up in the slot more than on the outside (Anymore star WRs line up there in the NFL because you can do more with a guy there and they face slot corners) Not because he is a raw route runner either. What scares me about Burks is he looks kind of chunky or thick. I'm worried that the guy is going to get too big once he hits the NFL.

But no I don't dislike Burks at all. I'd actually say London scares me a bit more and he played a lot in the slot. And that's not to say I don't like him. Guys that don't get a lot of separation in college always make me nervous.

If the point of the whole post is that Burks can play outside I absolutely agree. Just like London can play on the outside. Justin Jeffersons knock in the draft was that he played in the slot in college. It's a silly critique in my opinion. But there are guys like Skyy Moore that I don't think will be particularly good on the outside in the NFL.

shoop

Semi-contributing member

That’s it.

It is an interesting stat but teams like Ohio State and Alabama who often have multiple productive receivers have lower stats because of it. They also generally have decent running backs that will further skew the average.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I'd be surprised if all 3 did. But individually any of the three absolutely could.
If what is surrounding these players is true, it could happen.

Dean supposedly has a knee issue, Linderbaum quite simply doesn't appear to be as hot of a prospect as we all thought. Karlaftis' short arms might be a deal. It could happen. And if it does, I am either looking to drop down and pick up an extra 2nd near the top of the round. Any of the three would be worth that risk there.

Cotton

Staff member

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I get the Dean situation because he's undersized and hasn't run at all during the pre-draft process, that's a definite red flag considering the talent he played behind on that Georgia DL.

But Karlaftis and Linderbaum are just a function of the league over-thinking. I always felt Linderbaum was overrated when he was talked about as a top 10 pick, and I also felt like Karlaftis could drop to the 20's, but they're both legit 1st rounders.

There's no world where I'd have someone like Tyler Smith or Lewis Cine ranked above these guys.

Cotton

Staff member

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom