2022 Cowboys Draft Chatter Thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
The term position flex makes my stomach turn.

Give me the best damn LG or LT. But don't give me a guy who is lesser but can play both. Position flex doesn't mean much to me with a top pick.
Green is a pretty solid player and his versatility is not a gimmick.

Given the idea we are going to have to bear through another season of Tyron Smith, we can't just take a LT only-type and let them flounder for a year.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life

Given the idea we are going to have to bear through another season of Tyron Smith, we can't just take a LT only-type and let them flounder for a year.
Yea I think Green is roughly equal to Johnson as a LG, probably not as technically refined right now but more athletic/mobile, and with actual NFL potential at LT.

While he's not as good as Rashawn Slater he's basically exactly what I loved so much about him, a plug and play LG who could feasibly be a long term solution at LT.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

Yeah the thought is not lost on me but it seems to be a pretty tough proposition to find a guy who can be an elite LG and LT. Most the time you find out those guys aren't really LTs and you end up with a less talented LG instead. Plus long term you're still left trying to find a starting LG or LT anyway.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Yeah the thought is not lost on me but it seems to be a pretty tough proposition to find a guy who can be an elite LG and LT. Most the time you find out those guys aren't really LTs and you end up with a less talented LG instead. Plus long term you're still left trying to find a starting LG or LT anyway.
Think about a guy like Collins. Is he elite? No. But you can get a strong 8 or more years, sure.

We are going to have a concern picking barely inside the top 25 to have our OL need align directly.

Hit on an eval like Martin was at 16 and you have a horseshoe up your ass.

In this past draft, a pick in that range gets you a Darrisaw, LT only.

2020 - A roll of the dice on a turd like Isaiah Wilson.

2019 - Schlub Kaleb McGary was the only OL after pick #25.

Roll from there, then you are into the second round types and we are way late. Slim pickings.

Take a guy you can start and be comfortable with, and very little project work.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Think about a guy like Collins. Is he elite? No. But you can get a strong 8 or more years, sure.

We are going to have a concern picking barely inside the top 25 to have our OL need align directly.

Roll from there, then you are into the second round types and we are way late. Slim pickings.

I think both Green and Johnson fit that bill.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

I agree, which is why I would go for the guy I think would be the best LG. It's much easier to find those guys this late in the first. If he can also play LT awesome, but that's not the criteria I'd be looking at with a pick at 24.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
4th or 5th on talent or name recognition?
Pedigree

They fucked it up with Watt, but redeemed themselves with Diggs.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Given his mock give me

30. Tampa Bay Buccaneers
DeMarvin Leal, DL, Texas A&M

Like the Cowboys, the Bucs have several free agents hitting the open market this offseason, including center Ryan Jensen, wide receiver Chris Godwin, cornerback Carlton Davis and defensive end Jason Pierre-Paul. So while time will tell which players they bring back, this pick is about a like-for-like replacement for Ndamukong Suh, who turned 35 earlier this month and has been playing on one-year contracts.

The 290-pound Leal could play defensive end in a 3-4 scheme or 3-technique tackle in a 4-3. He has a powerful lower half and strong hands. He had 8.5 sacks for the Aggies in 2021, showing improvement on his ability to take down quarterbacks.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I'd definitely take Leal over Walker, and they're basically the exact same type of player, but in general I'd be fine with Walker at 24.

shoop

Semi-contributing member
By draft day i would bet this looks like a steal. I think dean moves up, Johnson goes around our pick, Garrett and Lindstrom both go higher than where they are listed by at least a round.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
By draft day i would bet this looks like a steal. I think dean moves up, Johnson goes around our pick, Garrett and Lindstrom both go higher than where they are listed by at least a round.
I think Dean will drop some. At his size if he isn't a 4.4 guy he isn't going to go as high as some think. People made the same mistake on the Notre Dame kid last year.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I think Dean will drop some. At his size if he isn't a 4.4 guy he isn't going to go as high as some think. People made the same mistake on the Notre Dame kid last year.
And quite ironically he ended up being of the best rookies in the league this year.

Unless Dean measures 5-11 and runs a 4.6 I'm taking him at 24, no questions asked.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'd definitely take Leal over Walker, and they're basically the exact same type of player, but in general I'd be fine with Walker at 24.
Sort of, I think Leal is more DT than Walker ever would be. Much like Walker is more of a DE than Leal will ever be. But yes they are guys that you can rush from the inside and use to stop the run on the outside.

But Leal is more what I want and I think we need. Plus I just think he is the better player.

I'll see how Walker runs but I'm not a big fan of him right now at 24. Seems like a big DE that will get you 6 sacks a year in the NFL as a DE but give you the Crawford versatility. I like Karlaftis who went at 23 more than Walker. I also prefer Cameron Thomas who went 29. Heck I may like Thomas the most but my opinion is subject to change. I think he is the most JJ Watt like of them all.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom