2021 Season | Week 17 | Gameday Chatter Thread | Cardinals @ Cowboys | 1/2/22

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
If we lose decisively against Eagles and in first round, you think McCarthy could be fired?

No, but he should be very much on the hot seat next year if that happens.

But honestly, I don't think this is on McCarthy. The QB needs to figure this stuff out.

In the off-season though, the head coach needs to get it right.

Last edited:

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I have a theory on Dak. Several times this year he's been bad most of the game but then somewhere in the late 3rd or 4th quarter he suddenly finds it and starts throwing darts.

I think he's too risk averse. We've seen the replays (and sometimes even live) of when he has guys open but he comes off of them to a checkdown, or even holds it too long for a sack. I wonder if he isn't being too careful. It's good that he's not reckless with his throws, but you also can't be afraid to fire it in there when necessary, either.

Later in the game when time is running out and we're behind, it's like he realizes there are limited possessions left, so he just goes with his first instinct and lets it go without thinking so much. You can see that not only are his throws physically better, but he seems more decisive and quicker in his decision to let the ball go. I think this is also why the hurry up works for him -- less time to think, more just reacting and cutting it loose.

Related, I wonder if his confidence isn't as great as we think. Maybe he's reticent to make those throws sometimes because he doesn't quite trust himself? But then later when there's basically no choice he has to go for it.

I think there's a lot to the risk averse theory. He definitely is, and I do think it affects his decision making.

Shiningstar

DCC 4Life
Who should they hire? Actual names.

And not Bill Belichick, unless he's on the market.

Brian Daboll, offensive coordinator, Buffalo Bills

Joe Woods, defensive coordinator, Cleveland Browns

Don Martindale, defensive coordinator, Baltimore Ravens

Tony Elliott, offensive coordinator, Clemson

data

Forbes #1
Those batted passes made a difference. In conjunction with penalties and shitty rushing production, too many 3rd and longs, 2nd longs.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Brian Daboll, offensive coordinator, Buffalo Bills

Joe Woods, defensive coordinator, Cleveland Browns

Don Martindale, defensive coordinator, Baltimore Ravens

Tony Elliott, offensive coordinator, Clemson
LOL. So you wouldn't bitch if this team went 12-5 under those guys? Right.

What makes you think any of those unproven guys would be better than Mccarthy anyway?

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I have a theory on Dak. Several times this year he's been bad most of the game but then somewhere in the late 3rd or 4th quarter he suddenly finds it and starts throwing darts.

I think he's too risk averse. We've seen the replays (and sometimes even live) of when he has guys open but he comes off of them to a checkdown, or even holds it too long for a sack. I wonder if he isn't being too careful. It's good that he's not reckless with his throws, but you also can't be afraid to fire it in there when necessary, either.

Later in the game when time is running out and we're behind, it's like he realizes there are limited possessions left, so he just goes with his first instinct and lets it go without thinking so much. You can see that not only are his throws physically better, but he seems more decisive and quicker in his decision to let the ball go. I think this is also why the hurry up works for him -- less time to think, more just reacting and cutting it loose.

Related, I wonder if his confidence isn't as great as we think. Maybe he's reticent to make those throws sometimes because he doesn't quite trust himself? But then later when there's basically no choice he has to go for it.
I think this is definitely part of it.

By nature I think he's risk-averse, remember his early years and how he mentioned how his mom would always drill into him about not throwing INT's. It took Kitna encouraging him to let it rip before he started taking more chances, so I don't think the risk-taking is in his nature until he's forced into it.

I also don't think he's fully trusting what he's seeing now, it's odd because he was taking a bunch of chances the first half of the year but I think his confidence is really up and down right now.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
There's a 0.0% chance McCarthy is fired after this year.

Now, if we're one and done in the playoffs, then miss the playoffs next year, I think it'll be time.

p1_

DCC 4Life
There's a 0.0% chance McCarthy is fired after this year.

Now, if we're one and done in the playoffs, then miss the playoffs next year, I think it'll be time.
Im not sure who really thinks thats plausible given the record and the division title. I think there will be emphasis placed on the postseason performance. He better have the team ready and firing.

Shiningstar

DCC 4Life
LOL. So you wouldn't bitch if this team went 12-5 under those guys? Right.

What makes you think any of those unproven guys would be better than Mccarthy anyway?

what makes you think McCarthy can win without a HoF QB?

how much time do you give McCarthy?

12-5 is not guaranteed a SB winner, you can go 9-7 and win the SB, why are you so hung up on season records? do we win a trophy? do we hoist the Lombardi on records? please explain this.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Im not sure who really thinks thats plausible given the record and the division title. I think there will be emphasis placed on the postseason performance. He better have the team ready and firing.
The real interesting topic for me is, what is the threshold for firing McCarthy?

I think one and done this year, then missing the playoffs next year does it.

But how about if we win 1 playoff game this year, lose in the divisional round, then do the same thing next year? Or maybe go one and done next year? Miss the playoffs?

I think the threshold for me would be 3 years and no playoff wins, or 4 years and no NFCC appearances.

I might be willing to give him a 5th year if we made the divisional round 3 years in a row or something like that, although that seems like a relatively unlikely scenario.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
what makes you think McCarthy can win without a HoF QB?

how much time do you give McCarthy?
Hell, what makes you think Jimmy Johnson can win a SB without a HOF QB? He's never done it.

12-5 is not guaranteed a SB winner, you can go 9-7 and win the SB, why are you so hung up on season records? do we win a trophy? do we hoist the Lombardi on records? please explain this.
Asked you this before: if nothing matters in the regular season, why are you even posting? Wait until after the playoff results because that's all that matters.

Shiningstar

DCC 4Life
Hell, what makes you think Jimmy Johnson can win a SB without a HOF QB? He's never done it.

Asked you this before: if nothing matters in the regular season, why are you even posting? Wait until after the playoff results because that's all that matters.

mainly i read to get opinions see what some think. those who see a win or two and scream "we re going to lose our coaches" than watch the progression. its fun.

p1_

DCC 4Life
mainly i read to get opinions see what some think. those who see a win or two and scream "we re going to lose our coaches" than watch the progression. its fun.
Several on here would pay you to take Moore off our hands.

Top Bottom