2021 Season | Divisional Weekend | Gameday Chatter Thread | 1/22/22-1/23/22

Status
Not open for further replies.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I am getting hammered and I have decided to enter masochism mode and watch the game again.

Well, I am running short of space on recordings on Hulu, so I deleted one of two recordings I have of the game.

Of course, I am stuck with the Nickelodeon broadcast, which I said I would only watch if we won.

I wish I had some acid to drop to make it worth watching.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Because even with the struggles Dak had, he still played well enough to be a starting caliber player in the NFL?
So Elliott is not a starting RB in the NFL?

If we cut him tomorrow, he would have a...uh...hold on for a second, I might get something.

But in all seriousness, Elliott had the PCL which for some reason could have been managed better. Hell, even the calf could have been managed better.

I think the pair of them are a mental duo that are way too close.

This ain't their rookie season together anymore.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
So Elliott is not a starting RB in the NFL?

If we cut him tomorrow, he would have a...uh...hold on for a second, I might get something.

But in all seriousness, Elliott had the PCL which for some reason could have been managed better. Hell, even the calf could have been managed better.

I think the pair of them are a mental duo that are way too close.

This ain't their rookie season together anymore.
Zeke would get signed but I doubt he would be anyone's workhorse. He would likely get platooned like he should have been here.

Sadly I don't know how Dak is going to take it when Zeke eventually does get cut. Which is sad but this is a business not a friendship. Your QB can't be affected by that shit.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Zeke would get signed but I doubt he would be anyone's workhorse. He would likely get platooned like he should have been here.

Sadly I don't know how Dak is going to take it when Zeke eventually does get cut. Which is sad but this is a business not a friendship. Your QB can't be affected by that shit.
I seriously doubt it will affect anything. Yeah, they're friends. But these guys are professional athletes. Every year, teams have guys that retire or are traded that have friends on their old teams. And life goes on.

Not sure where this narrative has came from, but it's just overly dramatic fluff.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
:lol

It does have proper OT rules, though. Defense is still a phase of the game. Quit trying to cheapen it and find a way.
NFL OT rules are basically coming down to which team wins a coin flip. Some type of college OT rule would make more sense during the playoffs.

I’m talking from a standpoint of pure entertainment-because that’s what the game is after all these days.

And let’s face it…the NFL has had ZERO issue in changing rules over the years to make the game more entertaining.

Last edited:

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
NFL OT rules are basically coming down to which team wins a coin flip. Some type of college OT rule would make more sense.
And let’s face it…the NFL has had ZERO issue in changing rules over the years to make the game more entertaining.
It doesnt come down to a coin flip. They still had the opportunity to play defense and in the Bills case they had the #1 defense. I know its a tall task but its still a phase of the game. I just dont buy the argument that they didn't have a chance. KC didnt score on every possession of the game so it could have been done.

As far as the entertaining part most of us grew up in a time where the defense was just as entertaining as the flashy plays. We need to get back to that. Hell, I bet all of us looked forward to seeing Parsons play. I know its wishful thinking now but that's what I prefer

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
It doesnt come down to a coin flip.
Not directly, no. But nobody can deny that it is a MASSIVE advantage to win that coin flip and be afforded the opportunity to not let your opponent ever see the ball again. And for a game that has already been played 60 minutes to have that big of an advantage handed to a team over what is basically a game of chance, is a shame.

Go to college OT rules where each team gets the ball. You can either do it like college and start at a designated place on the field, (not saying it has to be the 25) or you can still kick off. The coin flip winner still gets an advantage, but this time they'd choose to kickoff. Find out if they have to play for a TD or just a FG. But that coin flip doesn't play such a significant part in the outcome.

data

Forbes #1
It doesnt come down to a coin flip. They still had the opportunity to play defense and in the Bills case they had the #1 defense. I know its a tall task but its still a phase of the game. I just dont buy the argument that they didn't have a chance. KC didnt score on every possession of the game so it could have been done.
What is the percentage of OT ending on the first possession with a TD?

Coin flip loser does have a chance, but I compare it to house advantage in a game of blackjack. The advantage is undeniable — In the whatever years the current rules have been in place, it’s 100% coin flip winner takes the ball.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
What is the percentage of OT ending on the first possession with a TD?

Coin flip loser does have a chance, but I compare it to house advantage in a game of blackjack. The advantage is undeniable — In the whatever years the current rules have been in place, it’s 100% coin flip winner takes the ball.
The problem is the NFL has tilted things in favor of the offense so strongly that it is a big advantage to win that coin toss.

data

Forbes #1
The problem is the NFL has tilted things in favor of the offense so strongly that it is a big advantage to win that coin toss.
With this offensive tilt, to an extreme, imagine if NBA was settled the same fashion. 3pter wins and first possession decided by coin flip.

data

Forbes #1
Crazy thought here, but I’d give it some thought if the first OT possession automatically placed the ball at the 10 yard line, 5 yard line or whatever. No kickoff. It might change the coin flip winner’s decision to give first possession to coin flip loser.

Last edited:

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
From what I read it's like slightly more than 50%. It's nowhere near the advantage people claim it is.
I disagree. That's a very big advantage. Think about it... Even if the percentage was at 25%, that is still ending the game with your opponent never touching the ball. But it's actually at or above 50%-- with the opponent never touching the ball. That's huge.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
From what I read it's like slightly more than 50%. It's nowhere near the advantage people claim it is.
Not sure, I was hearing in the playoffs that like only one team who lost the coin toss has won and like 6 teams who won the coin toss won. But I honestly have no clue and am going off like radio talk.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I disagree. That's a very big advantage. Think about it... Even if the percentage was at 25%, that is still ending the game with your opponent never touching the ball. But it's actually at or above 50%-- with the opponent never touching the ball. That's huge.
I really only care about playoffs. Regular season can stay the way it is. Just like the playoffs don't allow for a tie like regular season.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Exactly. I’d bet 9/10 times the defense is gassed from the scramble of the opposing team trying to run down the field and score to get the game to OT.
That puts that same D, if the team loses the coin toss, in a direct disadvantage if they have to go right back on the field.
I get what Rev is saying -the D should’ve stopped the Chiefs in the first place. But honestly I think the big reason you see a lot of the prevent D’s in situations where there might be OT these days is because the DCs don’t want to give up a huge play down the field via a phantom flag or good ole PI that loses the game or puts a team in FG range.

data

Forbes #1
Under the current overtime rules the win-loss record for teams that win the coin toss is 86-67-10, per NFL Research. There is an advantage to winning the coin toss, but just at 52.8%. But, and this is an interesting but, if you just look at playoff games, the team that wins the coin flip has won 10 out of 11 games. Seven of those wins came on the first drive and didn’t give the other team a chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom