2021 Rookie camp, OTAs, TC thread...

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Cowboys camp report: Latest on Dak Prescott’s shoulder and team’s current interest in adding backup QB

Jul 29, 2021; Oxnard, CA, USA; Dallas Cowboys offensive coordinator Kellen Moore, quarterback Dak Prescott (4) and quarterback Garrett Gilbert (3) during training camp at the River Ridge playing fields at the Residence Inn by Marriott in Oxnard, California. Mandatory Credit: Jason Parkhurst-USA TODAY Sports

By Jon Machota 1h ago

OXNARD, Calif. — Dak Prescott did not attempt a pass with his throwing arm during Thursday’s practice. The Cowboys did not practice Friday and he’s not expected to throw during practice on Saturday or Sunday.

But after leaving Wednesday’s practice early because of a strained right latissimus muscle, the Cowboys franchise quarterback took the practice field Thursday in full pads. He went through individual drills and then worked off to the side with an athletic trainer. The limited number of times he needed to attempt short throws, he used his left arm.

Prescott said Friday that he likely suffered the setback while doing a drill on Tuesday.

“I wasn’t as warm as I probably needed to be before doing it,” he acknowledged. “Obviously, I’m a little bummed about it. But still being active and still seeing the defense and still being a part of everything. So it’s not like anything that the ankle was. So I know I will be fine. I know I am doing the treatment. I am doing everything necessary to make sure I will be just fine. I am not worried about that. It’s not anything I worry about lingering or causing problems.”

He also admitted that he possibly threw too much heading into training camp, noting that even before his right ankle was fully healed, he was often still throwing from a sitting position.

Prescott said if he would have experienced a similar feeling in his throwing arm during a game he would have continued playing. He said if he experienced something similar during a game week, he would still plan on starting in the upcoming game. Prescott is still expected to play in the preseason, however, there’s a good chance that won’t be in the Hall of Fame game next Thursday night.

The Cowboys have Monday off and then resume practice on Tuesday before departing for Canton, Ohio, on Wednesday.

“I will take it day by, continue to do the treatments, everything I am doing,” he said. “Early morning or late nights, doing everything I need to, stretching and doing everything proper. I want to get it to where I want it to feel. Obviously, a little less tightness than it has. In a couple of days, I will get back to throwing and I’m sure I will take it slow as I do that.

“It’s making a deep throw or an aggressive throw right now that I don’t want to risk.”

While the rest of the team was going through 11-on-11 team drills on Thursday, Prescott was on the other end of the field working with athletic trainer Britt Brown on the resistance cords. He continued weaning his helmet so he could hear the play calls. It was obvious from watching him go through conditioning drills that he was attempting to do everything at game speed, to the point that Cowboys coach Mike McCarthy said Prescott probably did too much.

“He trains his ass off,” Cowboys executive vice president Stephen Jones said Friday on 105.3 The Fan. “He’s just a great worker. He’s extreme when it comes to work. He just needs to give it a little rest and I think we’ll all be good here.”

Jones said Prescott’s current shoulder injury is “totally different” from the sprained AC joint he played through at the end of the 2019 season.

“I was never really worried,” Prescott said. “Honestly, probably the five to 10 minutes before I came out, I started thinking about it. I thought it was going to warm up. I was feeling the tightness or whatever. As a competitor, you want to push through it and you want to say it’s just a day that I feel different, but it’s something that I never felt.

“So at that point, I thought it was important to share it (with the athletic trainers) and do whatever was necessary to get it better.”

With Prescott out, backup Garrett Gilbert is expected to continue seeing the first-team reps. His best throw on Thursday was probably this touchdown pass across the middle to wide receiver CeeDee Lamb.

While Gilbert would be Prescott’s backup if the season started today, the Cowboys aren’t closing the door on the possibility of adding a veteran backup if the right situation presents itself, possibly when teams have to start trimming their current 90-man rosters over the next month.

“Well, you always do,” Jones said on The Fan. “I’ve been on the record saying that player acquisition is 365 (days a year). We looked at some quarterbacks in the spring. I think (offensive coordinator Kellen Moore and McCarthy) know what they want in a quarterback. They really like the guys we have here. But at the same time, if they found a guy that they liked as well or better that would bring something different to the table, then we’d certainly look at it.

“Obviously our cap situation is a little spicy, if you will, in terms of when you’re paying Dak the kind of money we are, unfortunately you can’t put another guy in behind him making 15 or 20 (million dollars). We had a great situation last year there with Andy Dalton that fell into our lap. We’ll just see. I think Garrett is going to do a good job for us. He did a great job last year. He gave us every opportunity to win the Pittsburgh game. I think as he gets more work, he’ll do a great job. The other young guys, Cooper (Rush) and (Ben) DiNucci will come along as well.

“But obviously, we’ll always have our eyes open. If there’s a way to get better, we’ll do it.”

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
  • Haha
Reactions: p1_

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Kelvin Joseph Pushing For Starting CB Spot
Jul 30, 2021 at 06:00 PM
Auping_Jonny-HS20

Jonny Auping
Star Magazine Contributor
Kelvin-Joseph-Pushing-For-Starting-CB-Spot-hero

OXNARD, Calif. — The Cowboys drafted cornerback Kelvin Joseph in the second round of the 2021 NFL Draft hoping that he might be as NFL-ready as their 2020 second-round draft pick Trevon Diggs who recorded three interceptions his rookie year and is the presumed starter at cornerback this upcoming season. During an interview Friday with 105.3 The Fan, however, Director of Player Personnel Stephen Jones stated that the starting cornerback spot opposite Diggs will be determined by a training camp competition between Joseph and veteran Anthony Brown.

"Oh yeah, and Anthony Brown's not gonna give it up [easily]," Jones stated. "Great battle out there."

Often overlooked in offseason conversations, Brown was drafted in the sixth round in the same 2016 draft that saw the Cowboys land Dak Prescott and Ezekiel Elliott. Like Diggs last season, Brown was thrown into a vital role during his rookie season. He has started 41 games as a Cowboy, and Diggs has cited him as his "big brother" on the team.

Brown's experience gives him an obvious advantage in training camp, but Jones stated that Joseph's talent will make it a legitimate competition.

"Yeah, (Joseph) is kicking butt," Jones said. "He is doing some really good things. He's really going to be a big help for us this year, on a timeline he's going to really help us out. He's jumped out."

On Friday, Mike McCarthy said that "you can't have enough corners," but also claimed that Brown showed up to training camp looking ready to be on the field.

"I think Anthony looks great," McCarthy said. "His weight is up in a good way. I think Anthony is having an outstanding camp."

Shiningstar

DCC 4Life
I'm in contact with Xenforo on when they plan to come out with their sarcasm font. It has been baited-breath anticipated for months.

why do you think Cee Dee Lamb will be as good as probably one of the best WRs skill wise, (complete package is in debate) and from what little we know, how do you see them stack up?

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
why do you think Cee Dee Lamb will be as good as probably one of the best WRs skill wise, (complete package is in debate) and from what little we know, how do you see them stack up?
Sounds like a challenge.

Hair cut bet? Steak dinner?

Top Bottom