2021 Random NFL Stuff Thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I'm all for any technology that will help those idiots get calls right.
The football microchips can't tell you when someone's knee is down or out of bounds though. I don't even know if they can tell you if the ball touches the ground.

So it's still probably going to be a lot of work to integrate the data live into the officiating process for almost no definitive gain on the field.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The football microchips can't tell you when someone's knee is down or out of bounds though. I don't even know if they can tell you if the ball touches the ground.

So it's still probably going to be a lot of work to integrate the data live into the officiating process for almost no definitive gain on the field.
Eh, the official can determine the exact time the knee or body part goes down. Then all you do is use technology to determine where the football is. I'm not talking every down but on reviews this could be pretty useful.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Eh, the official can determine the exact time the knee or body part goes down. Then all you do is use technology to determine where the football is. I'm not talking every down but on reviews this could be pretty useful.
Yeah, the question is for these 3-4 plays in a year where you have a clear view of the knee but not one of the ball, is the expensive move from batch data collection to live synchronized streaming of every game, every ball's chip data really worth it?

I think If they start showing live stats like distance traveled, pass velocity, and catch height for entertainment value they can start to take better advantage of that live streaming platform. Bottom line for that expense, it has to be worth it.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah, the question is for these 3-4 plays in a year where you have a clear view of the knee but not one of the ball, is the expensive move from batch data collection to live synchronized streaming of every game, every ball's chip data really worth it?

I think If they start showing live stats like distance traveled, pass velocity, and catch height for entertainment value they can start to take better advantage of that live streaming platform. Bottom line for that expense, it has to be worth it.
Not even when you can't see the ball though. How many times do we see an angle and they claim that they can't say exactly where the ball was because they don't have a straight shot across the field when it's happening. Goal line would obviously also be huge. There are a lot of times when you have no idea where the ball is at but you can see the runners legs. It happens way more than 3-4 times a season.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Not even when you can't see the ball though. How many times do we see an angle and they claim that they can't say exactly where the ball was because they don't have a straight shot across the field when it's happening. Goal line would obviously also be huge. There are a lot of times when you have no idea where the ball is at but you can see the runners legs. It happens way more than 3-4 times a season.
We as big fans, fanatics even, remember it happening in many games, but is it really happening that many times in a season?

Sure, if the system's already in place then yeah go do it. But it's not. It's a totally different implementation to stream all that data live against a synced game clock (to the fractional second). Hell just regional latency is going to cost you anywhere from 25 milliseconds to upwards of two seconds.

Right now, they probably manually download random chip data from select footballs with a reader post game. I seriously doubt they are wirelessly transmitting their location to a live receiver which is a totally different setup.

Imagine seeing the knee down and the chip data is off by a half second so it shows you a spot two yards back. You'd need a local server and data capture at each gamesite to start with, and the software engineering costs would be significant.

Companies have to make decisions like this all the time when it comes to real time data processing vs batch offline processing, and you save the real time for the most critical situations (like wire transfer fraud detection). Implementing it for the NFL would almost require there be a lot of applications that could benefit from the platform.

Exact ball placement that I could really trust to be synced with game film just for those few cases where I can't see the football but I can definitively see the player's knee or foot out of bounds, etc-- lot of bucks, almost zero bang.

But purely as a fan of the game, if they got it right-- cool.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member

Whotta bunch of dumb asses.
I was going through my parents' closet about 5 years ago and stumbled across an old Tavian Banks Jaguars jersey with a $19.99 Ross store tag still on it.

These Tebow jerseys seem destined for the same fate.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Just shows how fucked up this shit can get. Someone got too cute or too honest with him.

We've got insane, truly fucked up violence against Asian Americans out there. This is a nice dingleberry on top of that shit shake.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom