2021 Random NFL Stuff Thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
I wonder if a shitshow like last night that gives viewers a completely noncompetitive and uninteresting game on national TV makes them consider changing their policy again. Nobody wants to watch a team not be able to get a first down because covid rules forced them to play an utterly incompetent QB.
For a team trying to get in the playoffs as well.

data

Forbes #1
Can a QB make the HOF without ever having an All-Pro season? You wouldn't think so, but Warren Moon, Staubach, John Elway and Aikman haven't. Potentially, two more QBs in Eli Manning and Roethlisberger will.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Can a QB make the HOF without ever having an All-Pro season? You wouldn't think so, but Warren Moon, Staubach, John Elway and Aikman haven't. Potentially, two more QBs in Eli Manning and Roethlisberger will.

I don't see why not. It's part of the evaluation process, but I don't think not getting one should disqualify a player just like getting one shouldn't automatically qualify you.

Imagine as a QB spending your prime years at the same time that players like Brady and Peyton Manning spent their prime years. Not getting an All Pro selection doesn't necessarily mean you weren't great.

data

Forbes #1
I don't see why not. It's part of the evaluation process, but I don't think not getting one should disqualify a player just like getting one shouldn't automatically qualify you.

Imagine as a QB spending your prime years at the same time that players like Brady and Peyton Manning spent their prime years. Not getting an All Pro selection doesn't necessarily mean you weren't great.
Props. I didn’t mean it as an automatic qualifier or disqualified, just especially surprising because the QB position seems to have the most scrutiny and highest bar of getting in. I just thought it would naturally follow that a QB HOFer would have at least one nod, if not multiple.

For one, how many non-QB HOFers in the modern era without a single All-Pro nod? Think of the most borderline HOFer and look them up. A quick check and even Lynn Swann, Edgerrin James and Jerome Bettis have at least one. Hell, Darren Woodson has three All-Pro nods and has never reached the Finalist round.

Of the QBs listed above, I’m surprised that Elway, Staubach nor Aikman were never named All-Pro once. If I recall correctly, Staubach retired with the highest career QB rating, so Staubach never getting once was new to me. I thought Aikman was an All-Pro in 93. I figured Elway getting to five Super Bowls he would’ve been named once in one of those years. Warren Moon received special consideration because of his late NFL entry and contributions as a pioneer.

As for difficulty getting All-Pro during Brady/Manning years, I’d say it was just as, if not more, tough in the 80/90s when there was Elway, Young, Favre, Marino, Aikman, Montana.

An interesting non-All Pro case will be Russell Wilson. Two SB appearances and he’s a rare-profile QB that’s probably the all-time best rushing QB (different than mobile QB like Tarkenton, Young).

Last edited:

data

Forbes #1

Looking at it closer, I was only looking at First Team All-Pro. Including Second Team All-Pro:
  • Staubach (1971), Warren Moon (1990) and Elway (1987, 1993, 1996), making our beloved Troy Aikman as the only QB without a first/second-team All-Pro selection.
  • Tony Romo was second-team All-Pro (2014).
  • Russell Wilson was second team All-Pro (2019).
  • Eli Manning, Philip Rivers and Ben Roethlisberger have never been named first/second-team All-Pro.

So, while I agree with you that All-Pro isn't an automatic qualifier/disqualifier, there is an extremely strong correlation and seems to require a heckuva exception to be a Hall of Famer without any first/second All-Pro distinctions. For Aikman, winning three Super Bowls is obvious. For Roethlisberger, getting to three SBs in an 18-year career on top of being a lifelong Steeler will assuredly be enough for him. Eli Manning...well...we'll see. Philip Rivers retired as the #5 passing yardage leader (now #6 with Roethlisberger surpassing him this season) and will end-up #8 or #9 by his eligibility -- I doubt he'll get into HOF.

Last edited:

ZeroClub

UFA
Good conversation.
Here's something for the rabbit hole --
Staubach made the 70s all-decade team, which would seem to be a more exclusive honor than being a first team all pro in any given year.
All-decade players almost always make the Hall of Fame.
It sounds like there are more players who make it to the Hall of Fame without being a first team all pro than there are all-decade players who don't make it to the Hall of Fame.

Chocolate Lab

csn this hash tomo
I thought the latest rules made no distinction between vaxxed and unvaxxed.

Or maybe (probably) Schefter just threw that in to shame Cousins. Got to make sure everyone knows he's a noncompliant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom