2021 Random Cowboys Stuff Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

T-RO

DCC 4Life
You think that proves that all NFL teams use PFF as a tool? Come on, man.
You seem confused. They have a wide range of services. Advanced Stats, college scouting, data collation, NFL player grades, etc.

As for PFF grades...very subjective. NFL commentators use them. NFL.com writers use them. Respected NFL journalists use the grades. I have no idea if team's pay for those or not.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
You seem confused. They have a wide range of services. Advanced Stats, college scouting, data collation, NFL player grades, etc.

As for PFF grades...very subjective. NFL commentators use them. NFL.com writers use them. I have no idea if team's pay for those or not.
And, you think they pay for PFF?

T-RO

DCC 4Life
You people are going to start making me hit the ban button because I'm growing VERY tired of uneducated statements like this. Go to CNNSI and see what they think of White. Then, post it. Fpickering, YOU WILL POST THIS NEXT.

If I see your name beside a post after this time stamp that does not include what a major draft resource like CNNSI has on this player, I will give you a couple of days off. You people WILL START THINKING AND START PROCESSING INFORMATION BEFORE YOU POST IDIOCY.
Is this post intended for this thread? CNNSI? White?

T-RO

DCC 4Life
And, you think they pay for PFF?
As my edited post states above...

As for PFF grades...very subjective. NFL game commentators use them. NFL.com writers use them. Respected NFL journalists use the grades. I have no idea if teams pay for those or not.

Can we all please differentiate? PFF grades ≠ PFF. PFF grades are one of numerous services, completely separate from their highly respected stats.

Cotton

Staff member
1. I think you are confusing PFF stats and PFF grades. Two very different things.
2. If PFF "sucked" I doubt 30 NFL teams would be paying considerable dollars in consulting fees to PFF.
3. PFF grades are most certainly of limited value and flawed...since they are inherently subjective. But their premise is sound and they have some smart people doing cross-checked play-by-play evaluation. Their grades are informative, if not viewed as any "bible" or final verdict.

I don't really give a fuck about a group's "orthodoxy," or consensus. If I needed that I would go re-enroll at UCLA or some other woke institution. I reject GroupThink of all flavors; do my best to think for myself.

If this forum values free speech and heterogeneous opinion (which I surmise it in fact cherishes) I will continue to reference PFF.
Hmm...

Cotton

Staff member
completely separate from their highly respected stats.
Their stats are better than others? Aren't all stats just stats? Are ESPN's stats worse then PFF's? They are all the damn same.

T-RO

DCC 4Life
Why is this getting so emotional and heated?

I am confused about a great many things...

T-RO

DCC 4Life
Their stats are better than others? Aren't all stats just stats? Are ESPN's stats worse then PFF's? They are all the damn same.
Of course they aren't all the same. ESPN has it's own proprietary measurement for Quarterbacks. Troy Aikman has his own performance measurement for quarterbacks. There are lots of different QB rating formulas.

Football Outsiders has DYAR and DVOA.

Amazon has measurements for Peak MPH speed based on tracking data.

PFF has stats that include, "QB rate under pressure", "downfield throw rate" all kinds of stuff.

There are hundreds of different NFL stats engineered by data analysts that you don't see in box scores.

Cotton

Staff member
Of course they aren't all the same. ESPN has it's own proprietary measurement for Quarterbacks. Troy Aikman has his own performance measurement for quarterbacks. There are lots of different QB rating formulas.

Football Outsiders has DYAR and DVOA.

Amazon has measurements for Peak MPH speed based on tracking data.

PFF has stats that include, "QB rate under pressure", "downfield throw rate" all kinds of stuff.
Those aren't stats. Those are analytics. I think you are the one that is confused.

Cotton

Staff member
Oh, and PFF's "stats" are 100% subjective. I said it.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Colts head coach quoted in testimonial:

“One of the things we asked Mike at the beginning of the year was always look at stacks and bunches. We always feel like stacks and bunches is important to understand how things play out. He is our stacks and bunches guru. We use PFF [Pro Football Focus] to give us a folder of stacks and bunches every week.” – Super Bowl LII Champion Offensive Coordinator, Frank Reich​
Cmon bro I've seen more believable ads for Chantix

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
You people are going to start making me hit the ban button because I'm growing VERY tired of uneducated statements like this. Go to CNNSI and see what they think of White. Then, post it. Fpickering, YOU WILL POST THIS NEXT.

If I see your name beside a post after this time stamp that does not include what a major draft resource like CNNSI has on this player, I will give you a couple of days off. You people WILL START THINKING AND START PROCESSING INFORMATION BEFORE YOU POST IDIOCY.
Odd drop of the all-timer, but I will allow it.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
It's kind of silly to pull the "if you value freedom, then I have the right to post PFF" card while simultaneously ignoring the fact that everyone else has the right to shit all over PFF.

They suck. Fuck PFF.
It got weird when Collinsworth inserted his kid into things.

It has its utility. I am not going to sit all day and watch OL play, so I might use it like Cliff Notes.

T-RO

DCC 4Life
Those aren't stats. Those are analytics. I think you are the one that is confused.

Analytics conceive and measure "standard" and "advanced" stats. That's exactly what they are termed - "advanced stats". You've enjoyed and used advanced stats yourself, just didn't know that's that's what they were.

Examples of popularized advanced statistics (courtesy of Analytics folks)
-QB efficiency and various QB ratings
-A Total of a Quarterbacks Comeback Wins
-YAC...average yards after catch
-A receiver's catch rate (balls caught / balls attempted in his direction)
-4th Quarter QB Rating (Romo was amazing!)
-Air yards (A dink and dunk QB has few air yards, lots of pitch and toss to RB)
-Defensive rusher's QB hit count, pressure count (or rate)

Last edited:

Cotton

Staff member
Analytics conceive and measure "standard" and "advanced" stats. That's exactly what they are termed - "advanced stats". You've enjoyed and used advanced stats yourself, just didn't know that's that's what they were.

Examples of popularized advanced statistics (courtesy of Analytics folks)
-QB efficiency and various QB ratings
-A Total of a Quarterbacks Comeback Wins
-YAC...average yards after catch
-A receiver's catch rate (balls caught / balls attempted in his direction)
-4th Quarter QB Rating (Romo was amazing!)
-Air yards (A dink and dunk QB has few air yards, lots of pitch and toss to RB)
-Defensive rusher's QB hit count, pressure count (or rate)
Did you hurt your back moving those goalposts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom