2021 NFL Coach/GM Firings/Hirings

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

What I want to know is what special kind of blackmail material Adam Gase has hidden away somewhere.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

This seriously is the best movie for them...both from a coaching perspective and making sure that Watson is placated.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
yeah, you don't want players hiring the coaches
You see it in the NBA but yeah the power structure sort of feels all fucked up when a player is making the decision. You basically have the guy who is going to get bossed around picking the guy who is going to do the bossing. So then the boss really kind of owes something to the guy who got him hired and can't really treat him like a normal player anymore. Sort of leads to a player being above the coach.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
yep. Troy publicly lobbied for Terry Donahue and Jerry agreed, but Donahue turned them down.
From an article at the time:

Negotiations were broken off by Donahue once the subject of money came up.

One source said Jones offered Donahue about $500,000 a year, half what Donahue thought the job would pay. Another source said Donahue at no time mentioned money.

Donahue said only “no comment” when asked directly if the Cowboy owner had offered him the job, and he would not discuss money.

Said one Donahue associate: “Terry almost realized his dream, but he got out before it became a nightmare.”

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
You can receive comp picks for losing a GM? I didn't know that.
No, this is part of the minority hiring incentive that goes to the team that had a coach/executive get a HC or GM role. Same thing goes to the Rams for the Lions GM hire.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
No, this is part of the minority hiring incentive that goes to the team that had a coach/executive get a HC or GM role. Same thing goes to the Rams for the Lions GM hire.
That doesn't seem to be what the tweet says though, unless I'm reading it wrong.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
So, they receive a comp pick for having had him on the team, but lost him? You would think they would be rewarded for keeping him or when they hired him. That's confusing as hell and doesn't make much sense.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
So, they receive a comp pick for having had him on the team, but lost him? You would think they would be rewarded for keeping him or when they hired him. That's confusing as hell and doesn't make much sense.
I guess it is to encourage hiring minorities and grooming them.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I guess it is to encourage hiring minorities and grooming them.
I guess so, but it seems counterintuitive to me to reward a team for letting a minority go. You would think it would benefit the coach/GM more if they attempted to pay them more to keep them.

Top Bottom