2021 Cowboys Draft Chatter Thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
As far as 1st round resources, I'd much rather spend it on DT, LB, FS, or OT before CB.

But I get it, Surtain is the "perfect fit" for our defense.
There isn't a rock solid DT that is worth a first round pick in this draft, much less top 10.

This is just the wrong year to want one. Barmore will go way earlier than he needs to be simply because he is the tallest midget.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Wouldn't it be great if Pitts fell to 10 and they have the opportunity to get a bounty of picks in trade?

Oh, to have a real GM!

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Wouldn't it be great if Pitts fell to 10 and they have the opportunity to get a bounty of picks in trade?

Oh, to have a real GM!
You will get a trade up to get him, losing our second round pick, and like it.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Oh shit, I had to blow that up and make sure there wasn't a . in there!

1618930039163.png

Attachments

Last edited:

Cotton

Staff member
Dallas Cowboys seven-round mock draft

• Round 1, pick 10: Kyle Pitts, TE, Florida
TRADE DAL sends picks Nos. 44 and 75 to BAL for pick No. 27

• Round 1, pick 27: Greg Newsome II, CB, Northwestern
  • Round 3, pick 99: Tommy Togiai, DT, Ohio State
  • Round 4, pick 115: Shaun Wade, DB, Ohio State
  • Round 4, pick 138: Brenden Jaimes, OT, Nebraska
  • Round 5, pick 179: Jonathon Cooper, DE, Ohio State
  • Round 6, pick 192: Avery Williams, CB, Boise State
  • Round 6, pick 227: Michael Strachan, WR, Charleston
  • Round 7, pick 238: Nick Niemann, LB, Iowa

_

I will lose my shit if this is how it plays out.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
It'd be solid if we were trading up for Barmore, Ojulari, Rousseau, Moehrig, etc. instead of Newsome.

Cotton

Staff member
It'd be solid if we were trading up for Barmore, Ojulari, Rousseau, Moehrig, etc. instead of Newsome.
But, in that scenario, we are not. This would be an awful draft.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Yea fair enough, it'd be pretty bad. I love Pitts of course but you can't back that up with Newsome while giving up extra picks to get him. I like Togiai in the 3rd but why in the fuck would we then draft yet another CB in Wade?

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Dallas Cowboys seven-round mock draft

• Round 1, pick 10: Kyle Pitts, TE, Florida
TRADE DAL sends picks Nos. 44 and 75 to BAL for pick No. 27

• Round 1, pick 27: Greg Newsome II, CB, Northwestern
  • Round 3, pick 99: Tommy Togiai, DT, Ohio State
  • Round 4, pick 115: Shaun Wade, DB, Ohio State
  • Round 4, pick 138: Brenden Jaimes, OT, Nebraska
  • Round 5, pick 179: Jonathon Cooper, DE, Ohio State
  • Round 6, pick 192: Avery Williams, CB, Boise State
  • Round 6, pick 227: Michael Strachan, WR, Charleston
  • Round 7, pick 238: Nick Niemann, LB, Iowa

_

I will lose my shit if this is how it plays out.
Gross.

That’s a definite table flipper.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Yeah, WTF? Lets trade up for the 6th or 7th best CB prospect.

And what in Hell is this craziness about CB’s? The one I liked, Farley, turns out to be injured and maybe even injury prone.

There are so many better defenders if we’re fixated on defense.

Cotton

Staff member
Dallas Cowboys’ NFL Draft headquarters: Picks, needs, predictions. Will they choose a cornerback?

By The Athletic NFL Staff Apr 19, 2021

The Dallas Cowboys hold the 10th pick in the NFL Draft when it kicks off with Round 1 on April 29. The Cowboys own 10 selections overall in the seven-round draft.

Cowboys’ draft choices

ROUNDPICKOVERALLNOTES
33699Compensatory pick
433138Compensatory pick
535179Compensatory pick
648192From Detroit
643227Compensatory pick

Full draft order

See how every pick in the seven-round NFL Draft is scheduled.

Predicting the Cowboys’ picks

The Athletic‘s latest NFL mock draft
Cowboys mock draft from Jon Machota, Bob Sturm and Saad Yousuf
Dane Brugler’s Top 100 Big Board of the best players available
Cowboys’ pre-draft depth chart
Brugler’s NFL Draft Guide (“The Beast”) with details on 636 prospects

NFL Draft details

• Round 1: April 29, 8 p.m. ET (ESPN/ABC, NFL Network)
• Rounds 2-3: April 30, 7 p.m. ET (ESPN/ABC, NFL Network)
• Rounds 4-7: May 1, Noon ET (ESPN/ABC, NFL Network)

About the Cowboys

• Head coach: Mike McCarthy
• Owner/general manager: Jerry Jones
• Last year’s record: 6-10

Cowboys’ needs in the draft

Cornerback: Patrick Surtain II is the current favorite to be the Cowboys’ pick at No. 10. He fills a major need as an outside corner who can line up opposite of Trevon Diggs. And judging by his play in college, Surtain should be ready to step into a starting role immediately. Where things would get interesting is if Surtain gets picked before Dallas. Will the Cowboys like Jaycee Horn enough to take him at No. 10? Or maybe they would simply take the best player available, which could be one of the three offensive players mentioned earlier.

Safety: Former starter Xavier Woods has signed with the Vikings. The Cowboys have signed veterans Keanu Neal, Damontae Kazee and Jayron Kearse to one-year deals, but nothing that would prevent them from drafting a player at the position. There’s not a safety prospect expected to be picked in the top half of the first round. Richie Grant, Trevon Moehrig or Jevon Holland could be possibilities in the second round for Dallas. New defensive coordinator Dan Quinn’s elite defenses in Seattle had Earl Thomas and Kam Chancellor on the back end. But is his influence enough for the Cowboys to make a significant investment on a position no one has valued less than them over the last decade?

Defensive tackle: There’s no defensive lineman currently projected to be worthy of the 10th overall pick. If the player the Cowboys really want isn’t there at No. 10 and perhaps another team is looking to move up to get a wide receiver or quarterback, Dallas could move back, pick up extra picks and potentially take Alabama’s Christian Barmore. Head coach Mike McCarthy and Quinn both attended Alabama’s pro day last month. While most of their attention was probably on Surtain, adding the top defensive tackle in this class wouldn’t be the worst move. Barmore played his best ball down the stretch for the national champion Crimson Tide last season. And defensive tackle has been a major need for a while. The Cowboys added veterans Carlos Watkins and Brent Urban in free agency, but neither would prevent them from grabbing a defensive tackle at any point in this draft.

Linebacker: If Jaylon Smith and Leighton Vander Esch stayed healthy all season and played like it was 2018, linebacker would not be on this list. But a lot has changed in the last two years and the Cowboys need to find insurance at the position. Is that expected to happen at Pick 10? Probably not. The third or fourth round seems more likely. Neal is expected to play more weakside linebacker than safety, but again, he’s only signed for one year. Sean Lee could end up playing another season, but this would be a great time to find another Anthony Hitchens in the fourth round like they did in 2014.

Defensive end: This draft class doesn’t seem to have an edge-rushing prospect worthy of pick No. 10. What it appears to have, though, is depth at the position. So this seems like a good class to make some investments in the second, third or fourth rounds and maybe with multiple picks. DeMarcus Lawrence is the face of the defense and will again be the starting left end. Randy Gregory is expected to start on the right. Recently signed veteran Tarell Basham is expected to be the No. 3 edge rusher with Dorance Armstrong being No. 4 and last year’s fifth-round pick Bradlee Anae competing to get in the mix. Urban could also help in this area. But the position group is just too important. It needs more young prospects capable of developing into regular contributors.

Cowboys’ last five top picks

• 2020: WR CeeDee Lamb, pick No. 17: Back for Year 2 after catching 74 passes for 935 yards and five touchdowns as a rookie.
• 2019: DT Trysten Hill, pick No. 58: Returning from a torn ACL that ended his season last year after he moved into the starting lineup for the first five games.
• 2018: LB Leighton Vander Esch, pick No. 19: Returning and expected to play a key role on defense again. Has missed 13 games the past two days.
• 2017: DE Taco Charlton, pick No. 28: Lasted just more than two seasons before the Cowboys cut him in September 2019.
• 2016: RB Ezekiel Elliott, pick No. 4: He’s back for a sixth season. Led the NFL in rushing in 2016 and 2018.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
Yea fair enough, it'd be pretty bad. I love Pitts of course but you can't back that up with Newsome while giving up extra picks to get him. I like Togiai in the 3rd but why in the fuck would we then draft yet another CB in Wade?
Likely to convert him to FS because he was so bad last year at CB.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I'm telling you guys, the CB infatuation amongst fans, which I believe bleeds into the media through Twitter and such, is pretty much pathological.

Like yea, we could use a CB but the situation is nowhere near as dire as DT, or arguably even FS. Hell, I could quite easily argue that DE and LB are right there with CB as well.

Sitting at 10 Surtain makes sense because you could easily argue that he's the best defensive prospect in the draft, but I guarantee you that if we were picking at 17 or 25 or whatever most of the fans and media would still be sitting here talking themselves into Newsome or Asante Samuel Jr. or whoever, as opposed to someone like Jaelan Phillips, Zaven Collins, Azeez Ojulari, and so forth.

I don't think the team is as locked in on CB to the point that they'd trade up for one all the way into the back end of the 1st unless maybe a guy like Farley falls, but we'll see.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I'm telling you guys, the CB infatuation amongst fans, which I believe bleeds into the media through Twitter and such, is pretty much pathological.

Like yea, we could use a CB but the situation is nowhere near as dire as DT, or arguably even FS. Hell, I could quite easily argue that DE and LB are right there with CB as well.

Sitting at 10 Surtain makes sense because you could easily argue that he's the best defensive prospect in the draft, but I guarantee you that if we were picking at 17 or 25 or whatever most of the fans and media would still be sitting here talking themselves into Newsome or Asante Samuel Jr. or whoever, as opposed to someone like Jaelan Phillips, Zaven Collins, Azeez Ojulari, and so forth.

I don't think the team is as locked in on CB to the point that they'd trade up for one all the way into the back end of the 1st unless maybe a guy like Farley falls, but we'll see.

I agree that they shouldn't be locked into CB come hell or high water, and I agree other positions are at least as bereft of talent if not moreso.

However, I do think you are underestimating how badly we need corners. We have a good but inexperienced Diggs, and a bunch of Jags (at best) that I'd rather not see starting.

We're pretty bad at corner and it's absolutely a big need. It's just that other than DE we're pretty bad everywhere.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I agree that they shouldn't be locked into CB come hell or high water, and I agree other positions are at least as bereft of talent if not moreso.

However, I do think you are underestimating how badly we need corners. We have a good but inexperienced Diggs, and a bunch of Jags (at best) that I'd rather not see starting.

We're pretty bad at corner and it's absolutely a big need. It's just that other than DE we're pretty bad everywhere.
I don't totally disagree but I'll say that I'm more comfortable with Diggs/Brown/Lewis (and Robinson/Canady?) than I am with Kazee coming off an injury and nothing else at FS.

Or obviously DT.

Or even LB where we only have LVE and everyone's favorite gimp with Neal toggling back and forth between LB/SS.

DE and SS are the only positions that I'd clearly put below CB as far as what the depth chart looks like in 2021 but given the relative importance of the DE position I'd definitely take an equally rated DE over an equally rated CB. There just isn't one of those at 10 with the question marks surrounding Phillips and Rousseau.

data

Forbes #1
Goddamn, Jimmuh.

His 1991 trading would’ve sent us all to the hospital, most to the morgue

in addition to the pre-draft trade to get Maryland...

• Dallas traded first-round pick (No. 14) to New England for first-round (No. 17) and fourth-round picks.
  • Dallas traded first-round pick (No. 17) to Washington for first-round pick (No. 20) and fifth-round pick.
  • Dallas traded rights to first-round pick Kelvin Pritchett (No. 20) to Detroit for second-, third- and fourth-round picks.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah, WTF? Lets trade up for the 6th or 7th best CB prospect.

And what in Hell is this craziness about CB’s? The one I liked, Farley, turns out to be injured and maybe even injury prone.

There are so many better defenders if we’re fixated on defense.
I think Newsome is the third best corner. I really like him. But Pitts at 10 means we can't waste picks trading up. We need lots of talent on D.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Goddamn, Jimmuh.

His 1991 trading would’ve sent us all to the hospital, most to the morgue

in addition to the pre-draft trade to get Maryland...

• Dallas traded first-round pick (No. 14) to New England for first-round (No. 17) and fourth-round picks.
  • Dallas traded first-round pick (No. 17) to Washington for first-round pick (No. 20) and fifth-round pick.
  • Dallas traded rights to first-round pick Kelvin Pritchett (No. 20) to Detroit for second-, third- and fourth-round picks.

And in 1990, they tried to trade up for Cortez Kennedy, then tried to trade up for James Francis, before settling for trading up for emmitt.

In a draft where they had already lost their first overall pick (I believe for selecting Walsh in the previous supplemental draft).

Definitely crazy times.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

Yeah, my hope is that they at least know there are still a couple free agent corners who could solve that probably. You miss out in the draft go and sign one asap.

Hayward for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom