2021 Cowboys Draft Chatter Thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I actually think the opposite. Whether you are in a passing offense matters, but I think the less weapons around you there are, the more your stats rise if you're a decent player.

You're just going to get less opportunities when there are great players around you.

Hockenson was 5th in the league in TE targets. Fant was 6th. Schultz was 10th.

And of course, the QB play around Schultz was pretty horrid much of the year.
Maybe, but once you remove Prescott from the equation and somewhat normalize the circumstances each player was in, but disregard the fact that Schultz still had significantly more WR firepower around him to draw coverage away, Schultz averaged under 9 YPC while Fant and Hockenson averaged nearly 11.

That's a pretty significant difference and an indicator that Schultz was mostly just gobbling up check downs against soft coverage within 10 yards and not doing much else while the WR's were the focus.

With Prescott his stats will undoubtedly improve, as will his opportunities downfield, but there is a lot of untapped ceiling there if we had a guy like Hockenson, Fant, or of course Pitts. I understand thinking that ceiling isn't enough to forego our defensive needs at 10, and I mostly agree, but it's pretty disingenuous to imply that there isn't much difference between Schultz and guys like Hockenson and Fant, and of course Pitts.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Maybe, but once you remove Prescott from the equation and somewhat normalize the circumstances each player was in, but disregard the fact that Schultz still had significantly more WR firepower around him to draw coverage away, Schultz averaged under 9 YPC while Fant and Hockenson averaged nearly 11.

That's a pretty significant difference and an indicator that Schultz was mostly just gobbling up check downs against soft coverage within 10 yards and not doing much else while the WR's were the focus.

With Prescott his stats will undoubtedly improve, as will his opportunities downfield, but there is a lot of untapped ceiling there if we had a guy like Hockenson, Fant, or of course Pitts. I understand thinking that ceiling isn't enough to forego our defensive needs at 10, and I mostly agree, but it's pretty disingenuous to imply that there isn't much difference between Schultz and guys like Hockenson and Fant, and of course Pitts.
Again, Schultz had less targets. That's a pretty good indicator that he had less opportunities. And yet had similar counting stats. Better weapons around you mean less targets for you.

I think Fant and Hockenson are good solid TEs.

I think Schultz is also. I don't think he's quite as good as Fant and Hockenson, but I don't think the difference between them is large.

Certainly the impact on the field hasn't translated to a big difference.

Certainly not enough of a difference where you could reliably say TE is a need for one team and not the others.

As for Y/C, I don't think it's hugely important for TEs, but keep in mind Dalton's Y/A is pretty pedestrian across the board so I'm guessing that affects things. To be fair, Lock's YPA is similar to Dalton, but Stafford is much higher. Hard to judge in that context. Nobody will confuse Schultz with being a down field threat though and that's fine.

As for Pitts, he's clearly a different type of player, but for this team I'm not convinced there's enough impact given the talent we've accumulated to justify taking him.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
ROUND (OVERALL PICK)PROSPECTCOLLEGE
1 (10)Patrick Surtain, II, CBAlabama
2 (44)Ar'Darius Washington, STCU
3 (75)Tyler Shelvin, iDLLSU
3 (99)*Dylan Moses, LBAlabama
4 (115)Walker Little, OTStanford
4 (138)*Patrick Jones, II, EDGEPittsburgh
5 (179)*Trey Hill, iOLGeorgia
6 (192)Shakur Brown, CBMichigan State
6 (227)*Noah Gray, TEDuke
7 (238)Shawn Davis, SFlorida
*indicates compensatory pick

Cotton

Staff member

Cotton

Staff member
Yeah, that's a big ass no from me. There will be so much better talent available to us at that pick with the QBs and tackles pushing it down to us.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
As much as I love Pitts there's a 0.000% chance I'd take him over Sewell, and I'm 50/50 on whether I'd even take him over Slater.

Surtain and Parsons after those 3 is a toss-up.

GShock

DCC 4Life
As much as I love Pitts there's a 0.000% chance I'd take him over Sewell, and I'm 50/50 on whether I'd even take him over Slater.

Surtain and Parsons after those 3 is a toss-up.
Something about Parsons hits me wrong. Maybe gunshy after LVE or the position or the off the field stuff, but I would rather someone else top 10.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Sewell>Parsons>Pitts>Slater>Surtain
Yes

I've talked myself in to Pitts and hope to all that's holy that Surtain is gone by our pick.

Sewell and Parsons would be ideal imo...shore up OL or get an alpha LB.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Yes

I've talked myself in to Pitts and hope to all that's holy that Surtain is gone by our pick.

Sewell and Parsons would be ideal imo...shore up OL or get an alpha LB.
Parsons is a menace. These pro days all seem to be on fast tracks.

Parsons a 4.39 and Pitts a 4.44. Insane!

Surtain is blah. He’s Greg Ellis. I want a guy the other team has to gameplan for. Slater is good and at the top of the good but not quite elite group.

Of that list you want Sewell, Parsons, or Pitts. Then you feel like you got a top ten guy. Three years from now when the team is totally different, you’ll still feel great about one of those three.

3 WRs and 4 QBs means we could get one of these guys at 10. Please let Denver draft Surtain. Or please some idiot team draft Mac Jones.

Last edited:

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Parsons is a menace. These pro days all seem to be on fast tracks.

Parsons a 4.39 and Pitts a 4.44. Insane!

Surtain is blah. He’s Greg Ellis. I want a guy the other team has to gameplan for. Slater is good and at the top of the good but not quite elite group.

Of that list you want Sewell, Parsons, or Pitts. Then you feel like you got a top ten guy. Three years from now when the team is totally different, you’ll still feel great about one of those three.

3 WRs and 4 QBs means we could get one of these guys at 10. Please let Denver draft Surtain. Or please some idiot team draft Mac Jones.
We'd probably take Jaycee Horn.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I dont think they have any FS in mind after signing 3 safeties.
That would be really sad considering the deals those guys got. But not surprising. I can already hear it, well we just didn't really have room on the roster for another safety. None of the guys we could draft were better than what we already had. Shoot.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
That would be really sad considering the deals those guys got. But not surprising. I can already hear it, well we just didn't really have room on the roster for another safety. None of the guys we could draft were better than what we already had. Shoot.
Two of them are on one year deals and coming off injury. Surely they have to think beyond the upcoming season, right?

Wait, who the fuck am I trying to kid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom