2020 Random Cowboys Stuff Thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

For anyone that have been thinking about getting The Athletic. This is a really good deal.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Cowboys Are 'Number 4!'

Otherwise known as the first loser in the Sewell sweepstakes. Might as well start looking at Farley and Surtain

p1_

DCC 4Life
Otherwise known as the first loser in the Sewell sweepstakes. Might as well start looking at Farley and Surtain
to quote my head coach...
"you'll never get anywhere looking only at the negatives all the time"

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
I agree, pick 4 is worst case scenario. After Sewell it’s a bunch of no impact players or positions you don’t want to use such a high pick for...

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
The 4th pick certainly isn't ideal but a top 5 pick is certainly not a "worst case scenario". We could be in position to reap the rewards of a trade down or take a guy like Parsons who is probably a better prospect than guys like Roquan Smith and Devin White who have both turned into elite LBs.

p1_

DCC 4Life
I agree, pick 4 is worst case scenario. After Sewell it’s a bunch of no impact players or positions you don’t want to use such a high pick for...
You mean best case scenario :)

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
The 4th pick certainly isn't ideal but a top 5 pick is certainly not a "worst case scenario". We could be in position to reap the rewards of a trade down or take a guy like Parsons who is probably a better prospect than guys like Roquan Smith and Devin White who have both turned into elite LBs.
Trade down value goes way down after the top two QB’s, at 3 Sewell is a no brainer, but trading down aiming at Parsons is tricky and at 4 will hurt, even though it is clearly the right move. Of course 4th is better than 5,6, etc. But you know what I mean, it’d be like coming in second. So close, but no cigar.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
Even 4 is a stretch. I think we'll end up in the 6-9 range.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Trade down value goes way down after the top two QB’s, at 3 Sewell is a no brainer, but trading down aiming at Parsons is tricky and at 4 will hurt, even though it is clearly the right move. Of course 4th is better than 5,6, etc. But you know what I mean, it’d be like coming in second. So close, but no cigar.
I get what you're saying although I think there could definitely be a market for the 3rd QB (Wilson likely) if the top 3 is Lawrence/Fields/Sewell, especially if the team at 5 needs a QB.

And even if a trade down doesn't materialize, Parsons isn't as special as Sewll but I think he's a better prospect than recent top 10 LB's like Devin White, Roquan Smith and Devin Bush. In an odd way he reminds me of Jamal Adams in terms of bringing unique blitzing/"pass rush" ability from a position that you don't normally get it from.

I think he could easily give us 4-6 sacks a year with his timing/closing speed/feel as a blitzer.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
I get what you're saying although I think there could definitely be a market for the 3rd QB (Wilson likely) if the top 3 is Lawrence/QB/Sewell, especially if the team at 5 needs a QB.

And even if a trade down doesn't materialize, Parsons isn't as special as Sewll but I think he's a better prospect than recent top 10 LB's like Devin White, Roquan Smith and Devin Bush. In an odd way he reminds me of Jamal Adams in terms of bringing unique blitzing/"pass rush" ability from a position that you don't normally get it from.

I think he could easily give us 4-6 sacks a year with his timing/closing speed/feel as a blitzer.
Lance is a possible qb target too, I've seen him mocked at 4-7 a couple diff places

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Lance is a possible qb target too
Yea QB's always rise, it just depends what the order is and how desperate the teams behind us are. If we're 4 and someone like the Lions or Panthers who need a QB are at 5 teams might get desperate to move up for the 3rd QB if they fall in love with them.

If we're sitting at 4 and the Chargers are behind us at 5 we might not get the same offers, in which case we just go Parsons.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
A QB like Zach Wilson should be there at 4 and with Dak on the team and no elite pass rushers or DT worth taking so high Dallas would be a perfect trade partner.

I remember 2004 pre combine when everyone thought Phillip Rivers was a rising 2nd round pick. Ended up going 4th overall himself I believe.

Denver, Minnesota, Chicago, or New England would be perfect trade partners in that top 15 range. Get two 1sts, a 2ndand change.

Unfortunately the teams with two picks already have a QB or are already picking at the top of the draft.

More unfortunately there is no way we stay at 4.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
A QB like Zach Wilson should be there at 4 and with Dak on the team and no elite pass rushers or DT worth taking so high Dallas would be a perfect trade partner.

I remember 2004 pre combine when everyone thought Phillip Rivers was a rising 2nd round pick. Ended up going 4th overall himself I believe.

Denver, Minnesota, Chicago, or New England would be perfect trade partners in that top 15 range. Get two 1sts, a 2ndand change.

Unfortunately the teams with two picks already have a QB or are already picking at the top of the draft.

More unfortunately there is no way we stay at 4.
You can throw Atlanta and Carolina in there.

I'd move down from 4 to about 8-12 for their 1st next year, 2nd/3rd this year, and then I'd negotiate from there. Maybe have them throw in a 4th next year or something. But the 1st next year along with their 2nd/3rd this year would be the non-negotiable starting point for me.

That'd give us two 2nd's, including one in the top 5 of the round, three 3rd's and two 4th's after comp picks, and 6 total picks in the top 100.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom