2020 NFL Cuts & Signings

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
What a cocky piece of shit he was. All those warnings about his attitude and leadership skills were right.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
This might be unpopular but he is not worth this much trouble to me.
Agreed but that's an interesting strategy if that's allowed. If I was a rebuilding team I'd absolutely do it. Draft picks for cap hits? Yes please. Great idea.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Agreed but that's an interesting strategy if that's allowed. If I was a rebuilding team I'd absolutely do it. Draft picks for cap hits? Yes please. Great idea.
That sounds good in theory, but if I was the player, I'd be SUPER pissed if I was a FA and signed with somebody, only to have them turn around and immediately trade me.

That's part of the attraction of being a FA. Not only the money, but getting a say in where you go. I would think that if teams started doing this, players will start demanding no trade clauses in their contract before agreeing to sign. I know I would. And if you're not willing to do that? Then you are going to pay me way over market value for me to take the chance of you trading me for draft picks.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
That sounds good in theory, but if I was the player, I'd be SUPER pissed if I was a FA and signed with somebody, only to have them turn around and immediately trade me.

That's part of the attraction of being a FA. Not only the money, but getting a say in where you go. I would think that if teams started doing this, players will start demanding no trade clauses in their contract before agreeing to sign. I know I would. And if you're not willing to do that? Then you are going to pay me way over market value for me to take the chance of you trading me for draft picks.
In this situation I think Clowney would do it knowing he would be traded to the Saints. Something about that seems a bit sketchy but the player would have to be on board to do it.

Genghis Khan

I think the idea would be with the player's blessing. Suppose he wants to go to the saints but they don't have the cap space to make it work? Bring in the browns in a sign and trade. You get the team you want and the money you want, the saints get the player they want at a reduced cap hit, and the browns get a draft pick for absorbing cap space. Win win win. The NBA does it, I don't see why the NFL couldn't.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I think the idea would be with the player's blessing. Suppose he wants to go to the saints but they don't have the cap space to make it work? Bring in the browns in a sign and trade. You get the team you want and the money you want, the saints get the player they want at a reduced cap hit, and the browns get a draft pick for absorbing cap space. Win win win. The NBA does it, I don't see why the NFL couldn't.
I guess. The player would have to be on board with it. Because if they did it without his knowledge, I would think he would be pissed, and every other FA that they pursued would be leery of it.

Genghis Khan

I guess. The player would have to be on board with it. Because if they did it without his knowledge, I would think he would be pissed, and every other FA that they pursued would be leery of it.
Definitely couldn't do it without the player.

Top Bottom