2020 Draft Thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
All but Epenesa would be fine for me. You can time that dude with a sundial, and experienced NFL players will have no trouble handling his complete lack of athleticism.

Do not want.
A first round pick at OT couldn't stop him tp save his life. Not sure it's that easy.

You should watch him some. He doesn't look like a 5.0 forty guy on the field. Strength is a big part of a pass rush, not just speed.

Stasheroo

DCC 4Life
A first round pick at OT couldn't stop him tp save his life. Not sure it's that easy.
Buyer beware on that (USC) "1st round pick". He's a traits guy who needs a lot of work.

You should watch him some. He doesn't look like a 5.0 forty guy on the field. Strength is a big part of a pass rush, not just speed.
I saw a guy run a far slower 40-time than Tyrone Crawford - a guy who NEVER gets sacks from the outside - despite strength and 'trying as hard as he can'.

Like I said, it's one thing to get the better of college tackles who aren't technically sound, another to try to bull rush NFL tackles.

This fan wants no part of Epenesa, thanks.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Buyer beware on that (USC) "1st round pick". He's a traits guy who needs a lot of work.

I saw a guy run a far slower 40-time than Tyrone Crawford - a guy who NEVER gets sacks from the outside - despite strength and 'trying as hard as he can'.

Like I said, it's one thing to get the better of college tackles who aren't technically sound, another to try to bull rush NFL tackles.

This fan wants no part of Epenesa, thanks.
I think you're putting way too much emphasis on a forty time. There have been studies done that show college production is a way better indicator of success.

Lkke I said, you should watch the player before you pass judgment. Hell Lawrence our best pass rusher ran a 4.8 something forty. Crawford also ran in the 4.8s.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Epenesa isn't explosive at all but he does seem to have excellent timing off the snap, which makes up a bit for his lack of explosiveness as he's getting into the OT sooner. Hard to say for sure if that's something he'll be able to consistently do in the NFL but I did notice it in college.

As far as a pass-rusher his combination of strength/length is excellent, he uses his hands well to keep himself clean, and once he gets to the OT's edge he can bend pretty well to the QB. He has a pretty solid array of pass rush moves that are mostly built on his strength/length (push+pull especially) and hand usage, and from what I saw he was usually too much for OG's/C's when rushing from the interior.

With all that said, with very little explosiveness/burst/speed to threaten NFL OT's, will he be able to consistently win with a combination of strength+length against guys who are just as big/strong/long, if not more so?

That's why I think he profiles as a rich man's Tyrone Crawford, a strongside base DE who is going to easily stack against the run, give you some pass rush off the edge but mostly move inside in nickel/dime.

Of course a rich man's Crawford is a borderline Pro Bowler, so I'd be fine taking him at the back end of the 1st after a trade back.

Stasheroo

DCC 4Life
I think you're putting way too much emphasis on a forty time. There have been studies done that show college production is a way better indicator of success.
His change of direction is also terrible.

I said, you should watch the player before you pass judgment. Hell Lawrence our best pass rusher ran a 4.8 something forty. Crawford also ran in the 4.8s.
And Epenesa was over 5.0.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
His change of direction is also terrible.

And Epenesa was over 5.0.
Yeah there is no denying a 5.04 forty is god awful. Would have been interesting to see what his pro day numbers come back as but we won't see those.

As far as change of direction goes he ran a better 3 cone drill than Demarcus Lawrence so I don't know if his change of direction is terrible. For whatever a 3 cone drill is worth anyway.

Stasheroo

DCC 4Life
Yeah there is no denying a 5.04 forty is god awful. Would have been interesting to see what his pro day numbers come back as but we won't see those.

As far as change of direction goes he ran a better 3 cone drill than Demarcus Lawrence so I don't know if his change of direction is terrible. For whatever a 3 cone drill is worth anyway.
I don't want to sound like I'm bashing him if he's your guy. I wouldn't want anyone blasting my pet cat either. He's just not someone I would be happy seeing this team draft. At best, I see a strongside defensive end type and we're already paying ours $20 million a year. I want the speed guy opposite him in Chaisson.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't want to sound like I'm bashing him if he's your guy. I wouldn't want anyone blasting my pet cat either. He's just not someone I would be happy seeing this team draft. At best, I see a strongside defensive end type and we're already paying ours $20 million a year. I want the speed guy opposite him in Chaisson.
I wouldn't say he is a pet cat. I've watched every game of the guys career though and I'm admittedly an Iowa fan so he isn't as much a pet cat as just a guy who I've seen take over games as a dominant force on defense. I've appreciated his career at Iowa and think he is getting underrated now because of a shitty forty. If Dallas drafts him I'd be thrilled. But if they pass on him I'm ok with that as well.

I don't know that forty times and combine workouts are really the best way to judge a DE. That's all I'm saying. But you know me, I lean heavily towards guy that produced heavily in college. I think they have better chances of producing at the next level.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Holy shit... after contact.

Stasheroo

DCC 4Life
I wouldn't say he is a pet cat. I've watched every game of the guys career though and I'm admittedly an Iowa fan so he isn't as much a pet cat as just a guy who I've seen take over games as a dominant force on defense. I've appreciated his career at Iowa and think he is getting underrated now because of a shitty forty. If Dallas drafts him I'd be thrilled. But if they pass on him I'm ok with that as well.

I don't know that forty times and combine workouts are really the best way to judge a DE. That's all I'm saying. But you know me, I lean heavily towards guy that produced heavily in college. I think they have better chances of producing at the next level.
No absolutely right or wrong answer. Just two fans here with differing opinions on this player.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch

Lkke I said, you should watch the player before you pass judgment. Hell Lawrence our best pass rusher ran a 4.8 something forty. Crawford also ran in the 4.8s.
Yeah. Michael Strahan ran a 4.95 40 time is not the end all, be all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom