2020 College Football Chatter

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Myles Garrett was pretty highly ranked wasn't he? I don't know who is number 1 most years. Plus different services rate guys wildly different.
I remember he was definitely a 5star as he was our best sign that year but don't think he was the number 1 recruit

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Nick Saban really has turned himself into the fix upper of down on their luck coaches.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
89063762_2078342798965859_2100566090978426880_o.jpg

:cry:

This hurts. Jabril Cox is a monster, and his loss will really hurt the Bison's defense. This move is clearly to help him on his goal of reaching the NFL, so I wish him the best. But it still sucks.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
View attachment 690407

This hurts. Jabril Cox is a monster, and his loss will really hurt the Bison's defense. This move is clearly to help him on his goal of reaching the NFL, so I wish him the best. But it still sucks.
It kind of sucks he is going to Texas to die.

midswat

... soon
View attachment 690407

Personally hoping he’s gives Tennessee a hard look. He’d be a plug and play starter next to Henry To’oto’o in our defense. HT and Daniel Bituli were a hell of a combo last year but DB is NFL bound and we have more scholarship QBs on our roster than scholarship ILBs.

midswat

... soon
Not exactly. You can go to a Rivals top 100 four years from now and barely recognize many of the names.
just as you could go on Wikipedia and look up past 1st and second round draft picks and barely recognize the names.

midswat

... soon
I personally don't get the whole signing day thing. These are literally kids.

They are not mature mentally or even physically. Assigning rankings to kids like that is just silly.

It is also why I laugh at people puffing out their chests after a strong recruiting class. It does not mean a thing.
Literally the exact thing can be said about the NFL draft and guys who puff their chests out about having a strong draft.

Like someone else mentioned - you can look at the teams that recruit the best, per the rankings (247, rivals, etc) and they are the premier programs in CFB. Oklahoma, Clemson, Alabama, uga, OSU, Oregon, etc.

Like anything, there are always outliers. But dollars to donuts the top 10 at the end of the year is full of teams who finished in the top 10 in class rankings.

And I say this as a guy who finds recruit rankings (like the draft) completely comical. There are tens of thousands of high school seniors playing football. Comical to think rivals is breaking down film and is accurately ranking them.

But I think there is a clear seperation between the “elite” kids with measurables. Like a Trevor Lawrence or Justin Fields. Those are plain as day better that 99.9 of other hs QBs.

I think it’s a complete crapshoot past the “top 250” kids. Give or take.

All about scheme/fit/coachability etc.

In other words, I think when a school signs the number #3 WDE in the country, then odds are that kid is legit good. When they sign the “#500 WDE” then i think that that’s more of an arbitrary rating and that kid might not be that much better or worse than kids rated significantly higher or lower.

Where the top draft picks often fail is because it’s so hard to predict how a 21 year old will respond when he’s suddenly rich.

Whereas most blue chip recruits fail is,IMO, a lot grow up being worshipped and caddied to by coaches who needed them to win. They get their ego stroked all through the recruitment process. Then they sign an NLI and get on campus and they’re just another one of the guys and they have to work sometimes significantly harder than they ever have before without getting their asses kissed.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I can't imagine a football-less Fall/Winter.

Just thinking about it has me considering ....

:window
I got a good dose of how it could be when thy started to play some old basketball games during the time for the NCAA tournament.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I mean the good news is I know the peak date here in Missouri is supposed to be April 18th now. Once we get on the down slope of things I think it's possible some stuff may return to normal in May.

Cujo

DCC 4Life
I mean the good news is I know the peak date here in Missouri is supposed to be April 18th now. Once we get on the down slope of things I think it's possible some stuff may return to normal in May.
We're hearing April 20th here, which seemed incredibly optimistic at first but I think it's the consensus now.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
I think UT and OU should have started already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom