2019 Cowboys Draft Chatter Thread...

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well if he is still around in the 4th I sure as hell hope we draft him.
Oh I'm with you for sure. Same with Hunter Renfro in the fourth or fifth. Same thing with Penny Hart in the fourth. From the Senior Bowl players anyway.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
CB isn't in my top 5 of needs by any means but if the BPA in the 2nd or 3rd is a CB who matches our physical prototype I wouldn't hate the pick, assuming it would mean that they are planning for life after Jones and won't extend him.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
CB isn't in my top 5 of needs by any means but if the BPA in the 2nd or 3rd is a CB who matches our physical prototype I wouldn't hate the pick, assuming it would mean that they are planning for life after Jones and won't extend him.
Yeah if we can get a long ball hawking corner I won't be upset. We still don't pick off many balls. It's part of what made the Bears defense so amazing. And frankly we should pick some balls off with the coverages we are running.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
Yeah if we can get a long ball hawking corner I won't be upset. We still don't pick off many balls. It's part of what made the Bears defense so amazing. And frankly we should pick some balls off with the coverages we are running.
I wonder if a lot of the lack of picks is the play of our safeties. They just don't help out in coverage much at all. I think that makes the corners not want to gamble. It's a theory...who knows. All I know is this is a persistent issue for years and years and I can't explain it at all.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I wonder if a lot of the lack of picks is the play of our safeties. They just don't help out in coverage much at all. I think that makes the corners not want to gamble. It's a theory...who knows. All I know is this is a persistent issue for years and years and I can't explain it at all.
I definitely think safety is an issue. Earl Thomas and his familiarity with this defense could take this secondary to the next level IF he can stay healthy.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
I definitely think safety is an issue. Earl Thomas and his familiarity with this defense could take this secondary to the next level IF he can stay healthy.
Yeah I'm on the sign Earl train but after not missing a game in his first 6 years in the league, he has played in 29 of his last 48. His last three seasons have ended broken leg, hamstring, broken leg. Granted a broken leg isn't really a "he's injury prone" injury per se like hamstrings or back/neck injuries. Still, it's a worrisome and all too predictable trend in a 30 year old NFL player.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
As much as we all hate on Heath, he's basically an average starter and his presence makes me more willing to roll the dice on Thomas, assuming he isn't asking for the moon of course. This isn't a 2017 Sean Lee situation where we're wholly dependent on Thomas and if he goes down we're screwed. It might be worth it to get 12 or so games out of him since Heath is such a capable fill-in.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
As much as we all hate on Heath, he's basically an average starter and his presence makes me more willing to roll the dice on Thomas, assuming he isn't asking for the moon of course. This isn't a 2017 Sean Lee situation where we're wholly dependent on Thomas and if he goes down we're screwed. It might be worth it to get 12 or so games out of him since Heath is such a capable fill-in.
If we're going the Thomas route, I'd much rather pair him with Xavier Woods in the starting lineup. Woods is more than capable of manning the SS position, letting Thomas patrol the deep middle. Woods is every bit as good as Heath tackling and in run support if not better, and way better in coverage. Heath can remain and compete for a backup spot.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
If we're going the Thomas route, I'd much rather pair him with Xavier Woods in the starting lineup. Woods is more than capable of manning the SS position, letting Thomas patrol the deep middle. Woods is every bit as good as Heath tackling and in run support if not better, and way better in coverage. Heath can remain and compete for a backup spot.
Yeah I think Simp is suggesting that Heath would back up Thomas.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Yea I was saying that having Heath as a 3rd safety, a guy who can be a reasonably decent spot starter for 4-5 games, would make the Thomas injury risk more acceptable. Clearly the starting duo would be Thomas/Woods.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Yea I was saying that having Heath as a 3rd safety, a guy who can be a reasonably decent spot starter for 4-5 games, would make the Thomas injury risk more acceptable. Clearly the starting duo would be Thomas/Woods.
Guess I just read you wrong. Seeing how Heath is more of the traditional SS type, and Woods' skillset more resembles Thomas than Heath's does.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
Guess I just read you wrong. Seeing how Heath is more of the traditional SS type, and Woods' skillset more resembles Thomas than Heath's does.
I think this Heath is a master of none. He actually is really fast so you'd think he could be a center fielder but he's not. Not sure if he just doesn't have a feel for it or what. Then he's not big and physical enough to be a SS. He misses a lot of tackles for a strong safety.

Anyway I think these days you need 2 safeties who can cover and I think we'd have that with Woods and Thomas. Also I think our run support will come up a tick. They could still use Heath in Dime packages.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
Been a while, but there are a couple of players from Marshall I like for this year.

One will be a deep sleeper, S Malik Gant.

The other is better known, WR Tyre Brady.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I think this Heath is a master of none. He actually is really fast so you'd think he could be a center fielder but he's not. Not sure if he just doesn't have a feel for it or what. Then he's not big and physical enough to be a SS. He misses a lot of tackles for a strong safety.

Anyway I think these days you need 2 safeties who can cover and I think we'd have that with Woods and Thomas. Also I think our run support will come up a tick. They could still use Heath in Dime packages.
Heath is one of the surest tacklers on the squad. He wraps them up instead of trying to take them out with a shoulder like so many do. He might start a bad practice but for now he uses the tackle method with his shoulder and arms.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Heath is one of the surest tacklers on the squad. He wraps them up instead of trying to take them out with a shoulder like so many do. He might start a bad practice but for now he uses the tackle method with his shoulder and arms.
He misses more tackles than anyone else on defense.

Top Bottom