2018 Random Cowboys Stuff Thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Dallas has more players hitting the prime years of their deals than Philly does, but many of them are young enough that we could also restructure to sign a player we really want.

They haven't found one they want that is worth the cost.

We arm wave about that all we want, but whom are you thinking of specifically that Dallas should have gone after?

Philly has always been a FA-happy organization, and they only really won anything last year after having built through the draft. Sure they had the Jefferey signing, but that was not the difference-making move. It rarely is.

The biggest thing was a coach in place who was clued-in, in charge, and who understood how to respond to adversity.

This year, do you think Dallas should have traded for Michael Bennett after having franchised DLaw, optioned Irving, and drafted Charleton? He filled a clear need for Philly and Seattle is rebuilding. Philly was able to do that by restructuring Lane Johnson.
I don't think you are right about Philly. They didn't finally win due to building through the draft. A LOT of their roster is through free agency or trade.

Just off the top of my head:

McLeod
Jenkins
The corner from Buffalo who's name is escaping me
Robinson
Bradham
Jernigan
Long
Jeffrey
Tory Smith
Ajai
Blount
Wisniewski
Warmack
Peters

I mean, that's a lot right there and I'm probably missing a bunch.

(Not sure where you'd consider Foles since he's actually both a draftee and a free agent.)

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I agree Philly has always made plays in FA. Hell it always seems like they make an early splash in FA.

But I think they’re now getting some major homegrown cornerstones too, namely Wentz but also Barnett, Agholar, Matthews, and Hicks. We already know about Johnson, Logan, Cox, and Ertz. Even Foles is technically their choice, and Sidney Jones is slow cooking for next year.

You could normally count on their drafts being a crapshow, but now these guys are sticking. I think they’re getting the coaching they need.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I don't think you are right about Philly. They didn't finally win due to building through the draft. A LOT of their roster is through free agency or trade.

Just off the top of my head:

McLeod
Jenkins
The corner from Buffalo who's name is escaping me
Robinson
Bradham
Jernigan
Long
Jeffrey
Tory Smith
Ajai
Blount
Wisniewski
Warmack
Peters

I mean, that's a lot right there and I'm probably missing a bunch.

(Not sure where you'd consider Foles since he's actually both a draftee and a free agent.)
Just the y in Ajayi's name. :unsure

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I hope this works. I'd really like to see Dez and Dak working together all offseason too. Those two need to really work on building chemistry with each other. Those two need to work on getting on the same page and at least get the completion percentage between them up into the 60% range. When all you're doing is throwing 50/50 balls of course your percentage is going to be down near 50%. You just can't live and die by that with your number 1 WR. I've always liked Dez and I think he is loved among teammates. But I also don't want to keep hoping that Dez and Dak somehow become Dez and Romo. It's just not going to happen. It's different QBs with different skill sets. There is no reason though if Dak can complete nearly 70% of his balls thrown to Terrance Williams that he shouldn't be able to do similar with Dez.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Im thinking 9 years into his NFL career is too late to be optimistic. Old habits and, more to the point, an old and declining body don't lend themselves to new skills readily.
History does not favor a player with 3 down seasons hoping for a sudden renewal.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Dez can be a beast, but he's wearing down. Either he evolves his game or he needs to go away.

Troy Aikman was similar in that his game relied on toughness in the pocket and gunning a 15-20 yard pass on a rope.

He couldn't keep that up later in his career. Just watch his weak passes in the 1998-1999 playoff loss vs Arizona and compare with his great performances 6-7 years earlier. His back could no longer take those vicious hits standing in the pocket.

Dak can't throw those perfectly leading or back-shoulder passes, so Dez need to refine timing routes with his QB.

Couchcoach

DCC 4Life
Blew my mind yesterday when I saw Dez would be working with a route coach. A 30 year old NFL WR taking route lessons? Hey at least he cares enough to do it. But wow, how is running good routes a mystery after 9 years in the league?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Blew my mind yesterday when I saw Dez would be working with a route coach. A 30 year old NFL WR taking route lessons? Hey at least he cares enough to do it. But wow, how is running good routes a mystery after 9 years in the league?
Well I'd say that route running is something you should always be working at. I'm sure Larry Fitzgerald still works his ass off to improve his route running ability. It's not something that you just learn and can sort of ignore the rest of your career. It's something you need to constantly work on to keep it sharp. And frankly Dez is kind of dull at it and with his decrease in explosiveness it couldn't be more important than now.

Cotton

Staff member

Notice all but one of these throws happened outside the pocket. FUCKING PAY ATTENTION, GARRETT.

Genghis Khan

Notice all but one of these throws happened outside the pocket. FUCKING PAY ATTENTION, GARRETT.
He's one of the best in the league outside the pocket. We definitely should do more of it.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member

How dare you question him. He won a thanksgiving day game.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
HA! Yeah right.

This clown coaching staff will continue to do the exact opposite of what's working.

That play calling sequence in the 4th quarter of the Seattle game where Dallas had the ball 1st and goal on the 2 yard line with the season on the line was a perfect microcosm of the shortcomings of the Cowboys' coaching staff.

Cotton

Staff member
HA! Yeah right.

This clown coaching staff will continue to do the exact opposite of what's working.

That play calling sequence in the 4th quarter of the Seattle game where Dallas had the ball 1st and goal on the 2 yard line with the season on the line was a perfect microcosm of the Cowboys' coaching staff.
He is just so good on the run. I don't know how in the world this is not obvious to Garrett. We should be doing designed roll-outs/bootlegs all the damn time, but no, they want him to be something he is not.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
He is just so good on the run. I don't know how in the world this is not obvious to Garrett. We should be doing designed roll-outs/bootlegs all the damn time, but no, they want him to be something he is not.
Not to the same extent, but young Romo was the same way. But Garrett tried to make him into Troy Aikman.

At least Linehan put in the bootlegs and read option looks in 2016. Without him, Garrett would've made Dak a statue in the pocket.

Cotton

Staff member
Not to the same extent, but young Romo was the same way. But Garrett tried to make him into Troy Aikman.

At least Linehan put in the bootlegs and read option looks in 2016. Without him, Garrett would've made Dak a statue in the pocket.
It just seemed like we didn't run those type plays nearly as much in 2017.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
We didn't. No doubt about it.

Genghis Khan

I think there's a lot of merit to wanting to train Dak to be a well rounded QB.

We shouldn't want him to ONLY do what he's best at because that makes him a limited, one dimensional player who is much easier to game plan and defend.

Look no further than Dez for an example of the coaching staff going too far in one direction with a player instead of coaching up his weaknesses.

Cotton

Staff member
I think there's a lot of merit to wanting to train Dak to be a well rounded QB.

We shouldn't want him to ONLY do what he's best at because that makes him a limited, one dimensional player who is much easier to game plan and defend.

Look no further than Dez for an example of the coaching staff going too far in one direction with a player instead of coaching up his weaknesses.
I agree, hence why he should roll out more often. They have him as a one-dimensional pocket passer right now. They need to use (all) the talents he has.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom