2018 College Football Chatter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
Here are a lot of shitholes in the United States...I have been to many of them. No idea why Lubbock gets called out when there are literally at least 4-5 shittier towns in the Big 13 alone. Then you can add places like college station that seems to never get attention. Have you ever been to that place? Does anyone ever decry the shittiness of the home of aTm? No, because it is a college town much like Lubbock. Lots of places like that exist all over. They all have their nitch in some way.

Anyhoo, I haven’t lived in Lubbock since 2003 so it’s all good. I’ll tell you this, I’d damn sure rather live in Lubbock TX than Tampa FL. That place is absolute garbage.
College Station is below a shithole. It’s a goddamned cesspool. It almost makes El Paso look tolerable because El Paso has better Mexican food.

And I agree to a point about Tampa. The east and southeast suburbs are littered with white trash, but St. Pete and Clearwater (if you can handle the Mormons) are nice areas. Garbage schools, but great beach communities.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
College Station is below a shithole. It’s a goddamned cesspool. It almost makes El Paso look tolerable because El Paso has better Mexican food.

And I agree to a point about Tampa. The east and southeast suburbs are littered with white trash, but St. Pete and Clearwater (if you can handle the Mormons) are nice areas. Garbage schools, but great beach communities.
Clearwater and the Mormons are not the only problem, the Scientologists are there too.

D

Deuce

Anyhoo, I haven’t lived in Lubbock since 2003 so it’s all good. I’ll tell you this, I’d damn sure rather live in Lubbock TX than Tampa FL. That place is absolute garbage.
Word.

Though Ybor has done some nice renovation and is starting to bring Tampa back.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
:flip

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I lived in Lubbock many years ago for a short time with a tour at the Reese AFB. I am sure there have been several physical changes but the people there were some of the finest I have met in my lifetime. I am willing to bet they still are.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Texas Tech and Texas with impressive wins today???? WTH is going on?

Y'all better get right with the Lord because the end is surely near.
:towel

Cotton

Staff member
Here are a lot of shitholes in the United States...I have been to many of them. No idea why Lubbock gets called out when there are literally at least 4-5 shittier towns in the Big 13 alone. Then you can add places like college station that seems to never get attention. Have you ever been to that place? Does anyone ever decry the shittiness of the home of aTm? No, because it is a college town much like Lubbock. Lots of places like that exist all over. They all have their nitch in some way.

I had rather live in Lubbock than about 100 other places I have been to. I don't get the hate at all. The only big downside is Lubbock is not close to anything.

Cotton

Staff member
I lived in Lubbock many years ago for a short time with a tour at the Reese AFB. I am sure there have been several physical changes but the people there were some of the finest I have met in my lifetime. I am willing to bet they still are.
I'm here, so yeah...

Cotton

Staff member
Now to my game analysis. We played very well on both sides of the ball. That defensive front 7 is arguably one of the best in the country. Our freshman QB is legit. I thought maybe last week was a fluke, but he is the real deal. Our running game and play designs were really fun to watch. I'm not sure what's going on right now, but I'll take it. Won't get Kliff canned but maybe we can luck into a good year.

Rev

Staff member
Now to my game analysis. We played very well on both sides of the ball. That defensive front 7 is arguably one of the best in the country. Our freshman QB is legit. I thought maybe last week was a fluke, but he is the real deal. Our running game and play designs were really fun to watch. I'm not sure what's going on right now, but I'll take it. Won't get Kliff canned but maybe we can luck into a good year.
You basically have to get word out to Kliff that its a win or you are out game.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
I have a cluster of thoughts on the game. First, OSU's OL sort of sucks. Their offensive play calling is pretty unimaginative as well. I think that most do not know that Kliff has been trying to get a running game at Tech since he has been there. His first year was pretty good in that aspect due to having the players to do it. Right now the OL is playing probably the best since 2008, that is making all of the difference in the world for the team IMO. Good OL make make coach look brilliant or stupid on a regular basis. Having really good backs sure doesn't hurt either...

Also, the hiring of Kevin Johns cannot be understated. Kliff went way out of the box to hire a guy who had absolutely zero connections to anything that Tech has done in the last 20 years. If you go back and look at what his concepts were about at Western Michigan you will see a very sound running game deployed.

Kliff is still a really damn good offensive designer. He doesn't really run the air raid at this point. Most of his stuff comes from Belichick, Sean Payton and a collection of other stuff. Kliff tends to adapt really really well but sometimes out smarts himself. What he has done with what he has had to work with has been nothing short of amazing at times. At other times you walk away wondering if he has completely outsmarted himself.

The defense is good enough to win. They are athletic, play hard and generally play smart. You can ignore the stats because teams will get some yards. IMO you can't measure a Big 12 defense on stats alone. The main deal is that the run defense can be really good at times and that makes all of the difference. The secondary is wildly different with Johnson back there. Again, they have some good athletes back there...what worries me is if we face a WR/QB combo that is really in sync. When that happens some big plays will be given up. I expect that to happen next week against WVU. Tech is most like WVU in all phases of the game. Obviously WVU is a more stable program with more proven success, so the challenge will be pretty big.

If Tech finds a way to beat WVU then we just might be onto something. I am very much cautious about being too optimistic right now. The game last night was a really impressive performance for a few reasons but I wonder if OSU is any good this year.

My biggest take away is that Cotton was so very wrong about the QBs on this team and the running game. At this point it is stupid to go into a season announcing that the offense will be bad. You'd think that people would learn this lesson by now. Kliff has produced with total garbage many times before. That is not his problem in the least. Like I said, bitching about the wrong thing concerning Kliff. I'll wait here for an apology.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
Clearwater and the Mormons are not the only problem, the Scientologists are there too.
That’s what I meant. Thank you for the correction. Didn’t that goofy ass religion start in Clearwater?

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
That’s what I meant. Thank you for the correction. Didn’t that goofy ass religion start in Clearwater?
I'm not sure but the headquarters is there. There are a ton of flakes in Clearwater/St Pete. Beautiful place though.

Cotton

Staff member
My biggest take away is that Cotton was so very wrong about the QBs on this team and the running game. At this point it is stupid to go into a season announcing that the offense will be bad. You'd think that people would learn this lesson by now. Kliff has produced with total garbage many times before. That is not his problem in the least. Like I said, bitching about the wrong thing concerning Kliff. I'll wait here for an apology.
I didn't say the offense would be bad. I said it had the potential to be bad.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
I didn't say the offense would be bad. I said it had the potential to be bad.
You said the QBs would be the downfall of the team and that the run game would suck. I told you that you were bitching about the wrong thing. Turns out I was right.

Cotton

Staff member
You said the QBs would be the downfall of the team and that the run game would suck. I told you that you were bitching about the wrong thing. Turns out I was right.
I did not. I said the QBs were unproven. I'd like to see these things you claim I said.

Rev

Staff member
Props going to where they deserve. Kliff had this team ready and for at least this week he looks like he belongs as a HC. Perfectly designed offensive game plan and the defense was playing well. Hard to remember a better game given the opponent, the venue, and the doubts going in.

Kudos to Kliff and we all know how hard that is for me to admit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom