2017 Random Cowboys Stuff Thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Agreed. Witten SHOULD rank higher on my favorite Cowboys of all time list. Former Tennessee Volunteer great, wanted him heading into the draft and I turned the draft off when we passed on him in the 2nd, then came home later that night, drunk, and cheering like a retard when I logged into ESPN and saw we took him. Came in and has been nothing but through and through Cowboys player. All time great and future ROH/HOF'er.

Maybe its how unglamourous his position is, or his lack of big game moments. Idk. I definitely love the player but I feel like I won't appreciate him fully until he's retired.
Not me....I love that bastard.

He's easily in my top 5 favorite players ever. Nothing would make me happier than to see him get a ring.

My only knock on him is that he didn't maximize his position in the locker room. He was a guy who commanded all of their respect, he had all the skins on the wall, and during both the Wade and Garrett eras, he was one of the few players who wasn't a soft or defensive bitch and actually got "it".

But yet despite all that, he never rallied the team on the sidelines when things were crumbling. Every time one of those patented Cowboys choke jobs was taking place and you could see the inevitable happening, everybody just sat on the bench looking sad and defeated, and they hadn't even given up the lead yet! If there is ONE guy I would've expected to try and snap them out of it, it was him. But just like everyone else, Witten just remained silent.

That is the one and only negative with what has otherwise been a legendary player.

Last edited:

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I was a homer too.
I convinced myself that Barry Switzer was a balm for the Cowboys after Jimmy left.

I really thought Emmitts 3rd contract was OK because Jerry would just cut him at a reasonable time.

I thought Eric Bjornsen was going to be the next Novacek and totally believed the hype about Stepfret Williams.

I though Irvin would play for 5 more years the week before his career ended, Joey Galloway paired with him would immediately bring us all the way back, and that Chan Gailey was a brilliant hire.

I also thought the Cowboys of 1996 and 1998-1999 could win a Superbowl, even with Jerry in charge.

Of course, I still couldn't stand Jerry's drafts throughout it all, but somehow believed the old-assed Triplets and LA were enough.

Quincy Carter and Dave Campo beat the homer out of me, though and yes, I too had a momentary last gasp of hope the 2002 Cowboys could be the next 2001 Patriots or 1999 Rams.

So I was seriously cautious when Parcells arrived and I felt a lot of hope return when Romo took over for Bledsoe. Like we finally had a puncher's chance.

When Bill retired, my expectations sank again, despite the talented team he left behind. Never liked Garrett but I loved the combination of he and Sporano in 2007.

Couldn't stand Wade and after 1996 pretty much hated the Joneses, in spite of my hopes.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I also thought the Cowboys of 1996 and 1998-1999 could win a Superbowl, even with Jerry in charge.
I'm sure it would've fallen short somehow because you can't run a team the way we were run in 1999, but I did wonder for a while what would have happened in 1999 if Irvin, Aikman, and Deion had all stayed healthy that year.

Irvin and Rocket were proving to be a dangerous pair and we had a resurgent Emmitt who had his best season since 1995. Aikman was rejuvenated and Deion was on pace to have one of the finest seasons of his career before the toe started acting up.

If those 3 guys had been healthy for the entire year, it would've been interesting to see what we would have done in the playoffs that year.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Deion was amazing in 1998 until his injury, though not so much in 1999.

I wonder what that Thanksgiving game in 1998 would have been like had Deion been healthy and covered Moss.

But those teams were paper thin and relied on powder kegs like Alonzo Spellman.

midswat

... soon
I was just looking at random stuff and noticed Dez has only had 1k plus receiving yards in three out of seven seasons. His last one being in 2014. And he only had 50 receptions last season.

Stuck out to me because I still think of him as being in the upper tier as far as receivers go. He's paid as such.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I was just looking at random stuff and noticed Dez has only had 1k plus receiving yards in three out of seven seasons. His last one being in 2014. And he only had 50 receptions last season.

Stuck out to me because I still think of him as being in the upper tier as far as receivers go. He's paid as such.
A lot of that is due to injury. He was out like 4-5 games at the beginning of last year, IIRC.

Cotton

Staff member

I know we have seen it before, but look again at Dak's passer rating. Just unbelievable.

Cotton

Staff member
Also, notice that there is only 1 QB on that list with a passer rating higher than 100 both home and away. :towel

Smitty

DCC 4Life
A lot of that is due to injury. He was out like 4-5 games at the beginning of last year, IIRC.
Yeah, his first two seasons he was a rookie/2nd year player and growing, and he was not the #1 WR his rookie year... Miles Austin was... his second year was the Laurent Robinson year eating up a bunch of catches. And of course Witten was always the leader in catches those years too.

By 2012 he was the clear cut #1 guy, his third year in the league, which is not unexpected progression.

2012: 92/1382/12
2013: 93/1233/13
2014: 88/1320/16

Those are top 5 WR numbers.

2015... held out in training camp cause of his contract... injured first game of the season. Missed 7 games. Was playing hurt the rest of them. No QB worth a damn throwing the ball. This explains his low numbers. Aberration.

2016... again hurt in training camp. Misses most of camp. Injured again in season... misses three games, probably effects him when he returns as well. Also adjusting to a new QB who isn't leaning on him like Romo did, and a running game which is now the focus, taking away some of his targets. Also didn't really play the season finale cause starters rested. So that's four games off.

If he had played those four games he missed, he was still on pace for 66 catches, 1060 yards, and 12 TDs. Not half bad.

He's had a down two years cause of injuries, QB changes, and the running game focus. You saw what he was still capable of in the GB playoff game. He took over at times.

As Witten continues to slow down, I expect abouy 70-80 catches, 1300 yards, and 12 TDs out of Bryant this year.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Also, notice that there is only 1 QB on that list with a passer rating higher than 100 both home and away. :towel
Good as Dak is he has Elliott and the OL to thank for that consistency. They create incredibly favorable conditions for him to thrive in.

It's one reason Prescott hasn't become a national sensation. A lot of folks, professionals included, look at that OL and shake their heads at how good it is. Then when you add in Elliott people turn from Dak and what he's done. They gave him the obligatory ROY award, but conveniently excluded him from discussion of the NFL's elite QB's.

Every non-Cowboys fan convinces themselves he's some kind of bus-driver.

Those are the same people who underestimated Russell Wilson.

midswat

... soon
I didn't mean to make it sound like I was taking a shot at Dez. He's one of my favorite players.

But you only need 63 ypg to get 1k yards a season. With the $ he's paid, it should be a regular occurrence, even if he misses 3 games.

Cotton

Staff member
Just a little pick me up for your Monday morning. We are winless so far in 2017.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I didn't mean to make it sound like I was taking a shot at Dez. He's one of my favorite players.

But you only need 63 ypg to get 1k yards a season. With the $ he's paid, it should be a regular occurrence, even if he misses 3 games.
The problem is those lisfranc injuries can take some time before a guy is fully back. Combine that with basically having no time to develop chemistry with Dak led to a sort of down season. But by the end of the year those two seemed to be on the same page and making plays. Hell Dez's best game all year came in the playoffs when he went for 132 yards, 2 TDs.

So basically I expect Dez's numbers to get back to where you expect them this season.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I was thinking about buying a cheap knock off jersey from China, ya know, to keep Jerry from getting my money.

But I realized two things:

1) I don't know any good sites for this kind of merchandise, and

2) I'm not sure who I'd get. A lot of our guys are kinda unlikeable... or old... or have question marks. I want someone long lasting... cause I'm cheap and I don't want to have to buy a new jersey every 2-3 years. So that means no Witten.... Dez would be interesting but he is already 8 years in the league.... would kinda want a younger guy or someone with more shelf life. This takes Lee out of the equation too.

Elliott is on the verge of getting suspended. Not sure I want to go there. Prescott is too obvious... plus I still have in the back of my head, cause I'm overly pessimistic and scarred as a Cowboys fan.... "he needs to show it again before I really believe he's the long term guy here."

Martin feels boring. Frederick has the beard, so that could be cool... but do I really want an offensive lineman?

I'd even be ok with a role player kind of guy... but Beasley may be gone in 2 years, replaced by Switzer.

Jaylon Smith has injury concerns, hasn't proven himself yet.

I'd die before I wear a CB jersey, so no Awuzie or Lewis.

Prescott may be the answer here. I wish Elliott wasn't being such a retard... he'd be the easy pick.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
I was thinking about buying a cheap knock off jersey from China, ya know, to keep Jerry from getting my money.

But I realized two things:

1) I don't know any good sites for this kind of merchandise, and

2) I'm not sure who I'd get. A lot of our guys are kinda unlikeable... or old... or have question marks. I want someone long lasting... cause I'm cheap and I don't want to have to buy a new jersey every 2-3 years. So that means no Witten.... Dez would be interesting but he is already 8 years in the league.... would kinda want a younger guy or someone with more shelf life. This takes Lee out of the equation too.

Elliott is on the verge of getting suspended. Not sure I want to go there. Prescott is too obvious... plus I still have in the back of my head, cause I'm overly pessimistic and scarred as a Cowboys fan.... "he needs to show it again before I really believe he's the long term guy here."

Martin feels boring. Frederick has the beard, so that could be cool... but do I really want an offensive lineman?

I'd even be ok with a role player kind of guy... but Beasley may be gone in 2 years, replaced by Switzer.

Jaylon Smith has injury concerns, hasn't proven himself yet.

I'd die before I wear a CB jersey, so no Awuzie or Lewis.

Prescott may be the answer here. I wish Elliott wasn't being such a retard... he'd be the easy pick.
I'm sure they would sell you a Heath jersey.

Prescott is probably the best bet just based on longevity. I know it's the obvious one but I think you could wear that one for a long time.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm sure they would sell you a Heath jersey.

Prescott is probably the best bet just based on longevity. I know it's the obvious one but I think you could wear that one for a long time.
Custom made Jason Garrett Jersey

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Let me put it this way... if we win the Super Bowl I will buy one of those.

midswat

... soon
I have a Romo jersey I'll send you free of charge. Pm me if interested amigo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom