Status
Not open for further replies.

GShock

DCC 4Life
:mad

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I seem to recall he ran a TD in from this formation also. I could be wrong but seems like it because I called it when it happened.
The two point conversion is probably what you're thinking of. And yes that is exactly what we did.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Since when is 3rd and 3-4 a running down? Not buying it. Passing is usually the right call in that situation.

Sheesh. Dak threw a pick. It happens.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
This ought to make you guys feel better about the loss. :art

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

I guess that's better then the Dez catch from two years ago that the NFL is still trying to claim wasn't a catch. But yeah, that probably took 7 off the board for us. 3 for sure. Don't tell LT though, he still claims the penalty is legit.

All of this makes me wonder though, why was it called? This isn't your usual mistake of a penalty that we see every week that was just a wrong call. This is a rule that is buried in the rule book that an official would have had to dig awfully deep for and been looking to call. So why? Why did a rule that hasn't been called in this officials career suddenly pop in his head as something to call in a playoff game on what was a very pivotal drive? IF there is an explanation for that outside of "the official wanted to screw the Cowboys" please let me know. I can't come up with one.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Awesome.

Rev

Staff member

Somebody is disputing this now. Archer has some tweets but I'm on my phone and it's a pain to post. Saw some other tweets that the same ref called it in 2014 so not the "last time it was called was in 1984" that we were told.

Last edited:

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Report: NFL Admits Mistake On Unsportsmanlike Huddle Penalty On Brice Butler

January 19, 2017 12:09 PM

By: Josh Clark

Follow The Fan: Facebook | Twitter

DALLAS (105.3 The Fan) – The NFL has admitted that the Cowboys should not have been penalized for a 15-yard penalty in the Divisional Round loss to the Packers last Sunday.

According to Michael Lombardi, The NFL says the Unsportsmanlike penalty called on Cowboys’ receiver Brice Butler shouldn’t have been called.

Lombardi says he spoke with two teams that called the NFL office for clarification on the penalty, and the league said Dallas was not being deceptive and the call shouldn’t have been made.

In the first quarter with Green Bay ahead 7-3, the Cowboys had the ball 2nd and 5 on the Packer’s 37 yard-line. Dak Prescott completed a 22-yard pass to receiver Terrence Williams, however, officials called a penalty on Brice Butler for coming in the huddle and not participating in the play.

The play would have given the Cowboys a first down on the the Packers’ 16-yard line. Instead, Dallas had the ball 2nd and 20 on their own 48-yard line and were forced to punt after Prescott incompleted the next two throws in Butler’s direction.

After Lombardi’s tweet, the NFL’s VP of officiating Dean Blandino tweeted that the call was correct.

Head coach Jason Garrett said after the game that he’d never seen the call made before.

“[We] couldn’t beat the stripes. You can quote me on that,” Butler told the Dallas Morning News.

Referee Tony Corrente told a pool reporter after the game that it isn’t “an obscure rule” and that Butler “has to stay either in the game or they can call a timeout and get out of it.”

The NFL officially hasn’t officially commented on Lombardi’s report.

Fans are taking to social media to air their grievances against the league.

(©2017 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)

Rev

Staff member
Seems like a position needs to be filled to watch for tendencies of players and refs.

Rev

Staff member
Report: NFL Admits Mistake On Unsportsmanlike Huddle Penalty On Brice Butler

January 19, 2017 12:09 PM

By: Josh Clark

Follow The Fan: Facebook | Twitter

DALLAS (105.3 The Fan) – The NFL has admitted that the Cowboys should not have been penalized for a 15-yard penalty in the Divisional Round loss to the Packers last Sunday.

According to Michael Lombardi, The NFL says the Unsportsmanlike penalty called on Cowboys’ receiver Brice Butler shouldn’t have been called.

Lombardi says he spoke with two teams that called the NFL office for clarification on the penalty, and the league said Dallas was not being deceptive and the call shouldn’t have been made.

In the first quarter with Green Bay ahead 7-3, the Cowboys had the ball 2nd and 5 on the Packer’s 37 yard-line. Dak Prescott completed a 22-yard pass to receiver Terrence Williams, however, officials called a penalty on Brice Butler for coming in the huddle and not participating in the play.

The play would have given the Cowboys a first down on the the Packers’ 16-yard line. Instead, Dallas had the ball 2nd and 20 on their own 48-yard line and were forced to punt after Prescott incompleted the next two throws in Butler’s direction.

After Lombardi’s tweet, the NFL’s VP of officiating Dean Blandino tweeted that the call was correct.

Head coach Jason Garrett said after the game that he’d never seen the call made before.

“[We] couldn’t beat the stripes. You can quote me on that,” Butler told the Dallas Morning News.

Referee Tony Corrente told a pool reporter after the game that it isn’t “an obscure rule” and that Butler “has to stay either in the game or they can call a timeout and get out of it.”

The NFL officially hasn’t officially commented on Lombardi’s report.

Fans are taking to social media to air their grievances against the league.

(©2017 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
So Garrett hasn't seen this called?

It was called week 8 in the 2014 season. Washington vs. Dallas.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
So Garrett hasn't seen this called?

It was called week 8 in the 2014 season. Washington vs. Dallas.
Really? I don't remember that at all. Went back through the play by play on espn and they never list an illegal participation penalty for 15 yards either.

Rev

Staff member
Really? I don't remember that at all. Went back through the play by play on espn and they never list an illegal participation penalty for 15 yards either.
It was tweeted by Sturm. I will try to get some tweets posted here.

Last edited:

Rev

Staff member
There is an unsportsmanlike penalty listed. I think that's what they called.
This has been going on since the tweet that 1big fan posted. Somebody disputed that and Todd Archer tweeted the dispute. Sturm joined in after that.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I guess that's better then the Dez catch from two years ago that the NFL is still trying to claim wasn't a catch. But yeah, that probably took 7 off the board for us. 3 for sure. Don't tell LT though, he still claims the penalty is legit.

All of this makes me wonder though, why was it called? This isn't your usual mistake of a penalty that we see every week that was just a wrong call. This is a rule that is buried in the rule book that an official would have had to dig awfully deep for and been looking to call. So why? Why did a rule that hasn't been called in this officials career suddenly pop in his head as something to call in a playoff game on what was a very pivotal drive? IF there is an explanation for that outside of "the official wanted to screw the Cowboys" please let me know. I can't come up with one.
It's a legit rule. The fact that it hasn't been called or should not have been called doesn't make it a non rule. I never took a position on whether it should have been called rather I was explaining the difference in that rule and too many men in the huddle.

2233boys

Not So New Member
That pisses me off

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's a legit rule. The fact that it hasn't been called or should not have been called doesn't make it a non rule. I never took a position on whether it should have been called rather I was explaining the difference in that rule and too many men in the huddle.
Sure it's a rule. It was put into place to prevent a team from lining up 12 guys and then having one run off the field at the last second. Essentially forcing the defense to try and cover 12 guys.

And all NFL teams know that which is why they don't do it and it's never called.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Sure it's a rule. It was put into place to prevent a team from lining up 12 guys and then having one run off the field at the last second. Essentially forcing the defense to try and cover 12 guys.

And all NFL teams know that which is why they don't do it and it's never called.
I covered the purpose of the rule up front and explained the difference in it and the too many men in the huddle. The fact that it's never called wasn't a point I was trying to make.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I covered the purpose of the rule up front and explained the difference in it and the too many men in the huddle. The fact that it's never called wasn't a point I was trying to make.
Sure and the purpose makes it pretty clear that it shouldn't have been called in this situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom