2017 Random Cowboys Stuff Thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
No. I remember perfectly well. And if you want to say Romo at his finest is better than Aikman at his worst, I won't disagree.
For my money Romo was a better position player at QB than Aikman because he accomplished more at that position statistaclly than other Cowboys QB with inferior team mates to some of the others especially Aikman's. That's how I view it and I'm not trying to convince anyone else. It just my observation.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
For my money Romo was a better position player at QB than Aikman because he accomplished more at that position statistaclly than other Cowboys QB with inferior team mates to some of the others especially Aikman's. That's how I view it and I'm not trying to convince anyone else. It just my observation.
Aikman had a better supporting cast for most of his career. HOFers on the O line, at WR, at RB, at TE.

data

Forbes #1
For your money, is Andy Dalton a better position player at QB than Aikman? Dalton checks both your boxes with better statistics with worse surrounding cast.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Exaggeration.

2007 is Romos first year as full time starter: 13-3
2008: 9-7 with Brooks Bollinger/Brad Johnson going 1-2
2009: 11-5
2010: Horrible year all around
2011: 8-8 with Romo to blame for turnovers against NY Jets and embarrassing comeback by Lions
2012: 8-8
2013: 8-8 with Romo's infamous GB INT, Kyle Orton starting Week 17 vs PHI
2014: 12-4
2015: Romo's crippled
2016: Dak

In 3 seasons, we're division champs, 2 seasons as #1 seed. In 3 other seasons, we miss playoffs because of Romo injuries and/or Romo really bungled up a couple games. I really only see two years where we just flat out sucked.

Not saying we were Super Bowl contenders, but we were far from 'very thin talent' like some expansion team or perennial 4-12 1990s Bengals team for 'most' of Romo's career. Romo's offenses were solid and we were one impact defensive player or better coaching away from being deep playoff contenders. This 'very thin talent' comment is preposterous.

Why do you think we were in position a lot of those years in the first place? Other than 07 and 14, those years were undertalented, and undercoached for that matter, and elevated by Romo.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
No.

Just no.

data

Forbes #1
Why do you think we were in position a lot of those years in the first place? Other than 07 and 14, those years were undertalented, and undercoached for that matter, and elevated by Romo.
Romo elevated our team, yes. Romo was a great QB and for several seasons, elite.

But our teams were more than just Romo and 'very thin talent'. You give credit to 07 and 14 but discount 2008 and 2009. 2011 and 2012 weren't solid teams, but still better than 'very thin talent'.

In none of Romo's years, even 2014, did I ever think we'd win a Super Bowl not deserved to, but we weren't very thin talent-wise. Even the worst Romo team would've beaten the 1989/90 and Campo teams. Now that is very thin talent.

Last edited:

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
For your money, is Andy Dalton a better position player at QB than Aikman? Dalton checks both your boxes with better statistics with worse surrounding cast.
Why bring Dalton in the mix? I haven't said anything about him. That's a fishing question.:unsure

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Romo elevated our team, yes. Romo was a great QB and for several seasons, elite.

But our teams were more than just Romo and 'very thin talent'. You give credit to 07 and 14 but discount 2008 and 2009. 2011 and 2012 weren't solid teams, but still better than 'very thin talent'.

In none of Romo's years, even 2014, did I ever think we'd win a Super Bowl not deserved to, but we weren't very thin talent-wise. Even the worst Romo team would've beaten the 1989/90 and Campo teams. Now that is very thin talent.
Super Bowls isn't part of the criteria for my observation. I am simply looking at the individual performances at their respective position.

data

Forbes #1
Why bring Dalton in the mix? I haven't said anything about him. That's a fishing question.:unsure
Cuz I'm trying to understand your observation of Romo being better than Aikman. You say it's based off statistics. I'm trying to understand if your statstical observance is consistent, or if statistical comparison only applies to Tony Romo.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Cuz I'm trying to understand your observation of Romo being better than Aikman. You say it's based off statistics. I'm trying to understand if your statstical observance is consistent, or if statistical comparison only applies to Tony Romo.
I don't know Daltons stats nor have I seen him enough to even have an opinion. My comparison was about two Cowboys QB and how they played the position with the organization.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Romo was better than Aikman. Yeah, okay.

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
All that needs to be said is that Aikman's talent level far exceeded Romo's. Want proof? Number 1 overall draft pick vs not drafted at all. Not saying Romo wasn't talented, that much was obvious. but, had Troy gone to a team that required him to do the things Tony did, there's no doubt he could have not only done them, but I sincerely believe he would have done more.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
For my money Romo was a better position player at QB than Aikman because he accomplished more at that position statistaclly than other Cowboys QB with inferior team mates to some of the others especially Aikman's.
I'm shocked you think this.

You don't take into account how much easier it is to play offense today than it was back then? Almost every QB today has better stats.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I'm shocked you think this.

You don't take into account how much easier it is to play offense today than it was back then? Almost every QB today has better stats.
I'm not sure what you mean by easier to play at the QB position now than then but that's okay.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I'm not sure what you mean by easier to play at the QB position now than then but that's okay.
The rules of the game have changed significantly over the last 20 years. The NFL has gone out of their way to make things easier for offenses and have handcuffed defenses in the process.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
The rules of the game have changed significantly over the last 20 years. The NFL has gone out of their way to make things easier for offenses and have handcuffed defenses in the process.
But removing the forceout play (receiver now needs to get two feet in bounds) and the Dez "must maintain control of the ball" play are two examples that have hindered offenses since Troy retired.

data

Forbes #1
But removing the forceout play (receiver now needs to get two feet in bounds) and the Dez "must maintain control of the ball" play are two examples that have hindered offenses since Troy retired.
Climate change has also made it 1.5 degrees hotter on today's QBs.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
But our teams were more than just Romo and 'very thin talent'. You give credit to 07 and 14 but discount 2008 and 2009. 2011 and 2012 weren't solid

In none of Romo's years, even 2014, did I ever think we'd win a Super Bowl not deserved to, but we weren't very thin talent-wise.
"Thin" means a veneer of talent, i.e. a lack of depth. 2008 is a great example. The OL superficially resembled the fine pass-blocking line from the year before, but it wore down by December. The WRs looked strong with TO and Roy Williams, but we know they weren't very good, especially by year's end.

Same thing happened the very next year. In 2009 it looked like we were set at RB, but Barber and Jones were injured off and on all year. The OL fell apart in Minnesota, and we had very little safety depth. The running game was completely based off of draw plays and only worked between the 20's.

Thin.

By 2010, there was no OL and almost no strong defensive talent left outside of Ware and the few games with Sean Lee.

Romo took a long time to mature, but a lot of how players mature comes from the kind of coaching and teammates around them.

The coaching and caliber of teammates Troy Aikman had from 1990-1993 were second to none. I feel Tony would have done just fine, and maybe as well as Troy.

Cotton

Staff member
FYI. This looks like it could be pretty interesting.

Cotton

Staff member
FYI. This looks like it could be pretty interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom