2017 Cowboys Free Agency Thread...

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Not to get pulled into the pissing match but I will say that lately we have been pretty good in the first round no matter where we picked. After that is where I start to worry.
Aside from Felix Jones and possibly Claiborne, we haven't had any first round busts for a while.

Overall, I am not really worried about the first. It is the second, third and fourth that bother me. The second is the Jerry play round where he takes an injury or character risk, obviously. The fourth round seems to be where we already start thinking depth and special teams types. Prescott at least was a stab at something more.

We need more than a one player draft, it is just that simple.

Last year was a bonanza with four players that either already are or have a shot to be long term solid starters at the very least. But it is one year removed from the 2016 draft which is looking like a one player deal with Byron Jones and I am not even sure he is going to be what we need him to be. The rest of that draft is not looking good. And where it fell short was with Gregory and Green. Can't afford that again.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
That's what everybody said about Danny White.
White stepped in pretty well. He just wasn't a HoF.

Can't think of many teams that had an all-timer leave then replace them with another all-timer.

Honestly, I think the coaching has made Brady over the years versus the other way around. He's had a specific style of offense to work with for the most part and he's worked at it. But Belichick always has a sound defense and always has his teams prepared. It is not just Brady taking the team on his shoulders. Put him on say the Rams, he doesn't make them a winner because he is so good. Manning was that kind of QB, I don't think Brady is. It is too bad we will never see that.

That's why I don't subscribe to the Brady makes Belichick argument. He's got his handle on the team far deeper than just the QB.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Aside from Felix Jones and possibly Claiborne, we haven't had any first round busts for a while.

Overall, I am not really worried about the first. It is the second, third and fourth that bother me. The second is the Jerry play round where he takes an injury or character risk, obviously. The fourth round seems to be where we already start thinking depth and special teams types. Prescott at least was a stab at something more.

We need more than a one player draft, it is just that simple.

Last year was a bonanza with four players that either already are or have a shot to be long term solid starters at the very least. But it is one year removed from the 2016 draft which is looking like a one player deal with Byron Jones and I am not even sure he is going to be what we need him to be. The rest of that draft is not looking good. And where it fell short was with Gregory and Green. Can't afford that again.
The talent evaluation was right on Gregory and Green that says something for the scouting staff, just cannot afford to take any risks on character but then that makes you pass on some good players as well.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Romo's statistically great but no all-timer. At least not as a Cowboy.

We'll have to hope for Dak and whoever we get after him.
Depends on what criteria you use. Some measure in post season accomplishments while others use the stastical records. The latter would make Romo the most accomplished QB to don the Cowboys uniform.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
14 career games, 12 of which were as an injury plagued rookie.
You're right, 14 games, my mistake but not intentionally dishonest.

He sprained his ankle week one, so what would you call painting the entire season as injury-plagued? Honest?

Let's agree to meet somewhere in the middle, like he'll never succeed as a Cowboy and was a wasted draft pick.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Depends on what criteria you use. Some measure in post season accomplishments while others use the stastical records. The latter would make Romo the most accomplished QB to don the Cowboys uniform.
True, of course.

He's not thought of as an all-timer by many as QBs are not measured as much by stats as playoff success.

If he wins something in his final years, maybe the narrative changes.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
True, of course.

He's not thought of as an all-timer by many as QBs are not measured as much by stats as playoff success.

If he wins something in his final years, maybe the narrative changes.
That would just evoke the Marino vs Dilfer argument. Which in the all timer in this context.

Jiggyfly

Banned
You're right, 14 games, my mistake but not intentionally dishonest.

He sprained his ankle week one, so what would you call painting the entire season as injury-plagued? Honest?

Let's agree to meet somewhere in the middle, like he'll never succeed as a Cowboy and was a wasted draft pick.
So can we also agree that your original post had nothing to do with what I said?

Top Bottom