2017 Combine Thread...

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I like TJ Watt. I'd try him out at DE. He has the size already of a lot of ends and he has the length to add weight.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Sort of like Reddick with the Dlineman. That dude should be out there with the LBers.
Yeah, but Reddick showing pass rush chops only helps him. What on earth would Peppers got out of the LB drills?

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Every time I watch a combine, there is always some obscure player I have not seen play that is white rather than black, black rather than white like I imagined.

I never would have pegged Ohio U. LB Blair Brown as a black guy.

And I am still waiting for some poor bastard to run so hard he pops his tights and his weiner falls out like Chris Jones last year.

Bluestar71

Brand New Member
Yeah, but Reddick showing pass rush chops only helps him. What on earth would Peppers got out of the LB drills?
According to what Eisen and company have said they're forcing him to work out with LB's because he played LB last year. More NFL inflexible nonsense.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
According to what Eisen and company have said they're forcing him to work out with LB's because he played LB last year. More NFL inflexible nonsense.
But yet Greg Ward who never played a snap at WR at Houston isn't forced to do QB drills.

Hoffa

DCC 4Life
Peppers is a fun athlete but he's got no position and he's not a playmaker. I'm tired of drafting guys that are great athletes but are allergic to the football.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Peppers is a fun athlete but he's got no position and he's not a playmaker. I'm tired of drafting guys that are great athletes but are allergic to the football.
He is not a playmaker on special teams? Okay then. :dunce

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The crazy thing about Peppers is he has great hands. This isn't going to be Scandrick with the ball clanking off his hands all the time. And he played great as a sophomore playing mostly safety at defending passes.

I think the picks will come in the NFL once he is allowed ro just settle in at safety. But the guy is an absolute play maker. He tackles violent and is likely to score once the ball is in his hands.

Hoffa

DCC 4Life
The crazy thing about Peppers is he has great hands. This isn't going to be Scandrick with the ball clanking off his hands all the time. And he played great as a sophomore playing mostly safety at defending passes.

I think the picks will come in the NFL once he is allowed ro just settle in at safety. But the guy is an absolute play maker. He tackles violent and is likely to score once the ball is in his hands.
You're right about him tackling violently. His game is better suited to LB than safety, but he's too small to play LB in the NFL.

I'm not so much worried about the ball clanking off his hands as much as I am him actually being position to get his hands on the ball in the first place. Again, we keep pushing this myth that he's a "playmaker" but the numbers don't bear it out. He was never strong in coverage, never a ballhawk and rarely ever made big game-changing defensive plays.

That sounds like too many guys we currently have, or have had, on our defense. So I'll pass.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm not so much worried about the ball clanking off his hands as much as I am him actually being position to get his hands on the ball in the first place. Again, we keep pushing this myth that he's a "playmaker" but the numbers don't bear it out. He was never strong in coverage, never a ballhawk and rarely ever made big game-changing defensive plays.
And yet his 10 PBU's as a sophomore when he played safety are right there with what Adoree Jackson did as a JR.

To me Michigan did him a disservice not keeping him at safety. But Peppers was the ultimate teammate who will play where ever you put him.

Also haven't even mention the tackles for loss or sacks. Which are big time as well.

Hoffa

DCC 4Life
And yet his 10 PBU's as a sophomore when he played safety are right there with what Adoree Jackson did as a JR.

To me Michigan did him a disservice not keeping him at safety. But Peppers was the ultimate teammate who will play where ever you put him.

Also haven't even mention the tackles for loss or sacks. Which are big time as well.
Byron Jones breaks up a lot of passes too, but he can't get an interception to save his fucking life. Again, what this defense needs desperately is a PLAYMAKER.

Three sacks? Big time?

His TFL did go up, but he only had the fourth most on the team. And that's really only a product of him playing LB. If you're drafting him to be a safety, it's a moot point.

The numbers and the tape bear out a guy who is a jack of a lot of trades, but a master of none.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Three sacks? Big time?

His TFL did go up, but he only had the fourth most on the team. And that's really only a product of him playing LB. If you're drafting him to be a safety, it's a moot point.
Actually 4 sacks and 16 tackles for loss for a 4-3 LBer are extremely impressive numbers. And it's not a moot point when we bring our SS up into the box all the time. It's actually a pretty big deal. And his man coverage ability is a big deal too. Since we actually do a good amount of that with our safeties.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love a safety with 7 ints in the first round but Malik Hooker isn't falling to us. I think you severely underrate what Peppers did for that Michigan defense. And you can do a lot worse then having an elite athlete who flies around like a missile on the field.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
He looks athletic during the drills. Not sure why he couldn't run a better forty.

Taco ran a pretty disappointing forty, maybe he will actually fall to us.
Taco isn't really a first rounder according to Brugler. He's more a top of the second.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Taco isn't really a first rounder according to Brugler. He's more a top of the second.
Brugler is not exactly the end all be all either. Don't tell me you go off of one guy and don't bother to look around.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Byron Jones breaks up a lot of passes too, but he can't get an interception to save his fucking life. Again, what this defense needs desperately is a PLAYMAKER.

Three sacks? Big time?

The numbers and the tape bear out a guy who is a jack of a lot of trades, but a master of none.
I get the anger and frustration.

But where on earth is this defensive playmaker?

Who picks off a billion gazillion passes while at the same time playing against top shelf competition?

It is far easier to identify great offensive talent versus defense.

On defense, you need to go more off of traits.

Even in the NFL, you have "playmakers" where marginally skilled corners can end up leading the NFL in INTs.

Jeff Heath has led this team in INTs (making plays) the last two seasons.

Is he our best defender?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
And Kiper has him going number 8 in his mock draft. Surprised to see Bruglar has him that low. There was a lot of talk leading up to the combine that he could go top 10. I'm hoping the forty time has at least put an end to that.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Brugler is not exactly the end all be all either. Don't tell me you go off of one guy and don't bother to look around.
I don't have time to investigate much any more.

I listen to the DC.com Draft Show and Brugler is on it. He is not that high on Taco.

Top Bottom