2017 College Football Chatter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Two former walk-ons QBs from Tech (Riley and Baker) do more in two years at a different school than Tech in its entire history.
:budd
Got their coaching start from the great one.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
It's bittersweet to see Bob Stoops walk away but I think the timing is right. From my understanding the rest of the staff will remain in place at least for this season. Plus we have a great 2017 class in hand and we've got a great start on our 2018 class.

The infusion of Lincoln Riley and some other new faces over the last couple of years has given Oklahoma a much needed bump in the recruiting department. So I have confidence in the youngster. I'm sure there will be some growing pains particularly in Week 2 vs Urban Meyer and Ohio State......but in recent years Stoops rarely won those high profile non-conference games himself so I won't be terribly upset if Riley can't pull off wins in big non-conference games. It'll just be par for the course as far as I'm concerned.

As for Stoops, I've been saying it's time for OU to replace him for a few years now. I think he's still one of the better coaches in the college football but it feels like the program is in a bit of a rut. Good enough to win a depleted Big 12 conference but not good enough to beat the big boys from the other Power 5 conferences in games that really matter.

I know this is one of those "be careful what you wish for" situations, but I'm ready to take that chance. For better or worse I'm all in on getting some new blood and having a new voice lead the program.

As an aside, one huge positive that may come of this is Mike Stoops' job is no longer protected by the umbrella of nepotism. If his defenses are garbage again (and they probably will be) big brother won't be there to help him keep his job. We may finally land a solid DC in the next year or two. :fistpump

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
That should tell you there are issues with the program. Either incorporating what they have or simply misevaluating.
There were issues with the previous administrations. I truly believe Hocutt is on the level, but due to turnover in administration in his tenure, he has not really had much to work with. He has now had 2 presidents and 2 chancellors in his 6 years. He has not been done any favors.

Then he got Kliff quasi-forced on him by alumni and donor pressure, and he hasn't had much of a chance to succeed.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
The TTU program appears to be flailing around like an idiot about right now. I'd say that it is in melt down mode currently with the potential to be a dumpster fire right about October 1st.

Rev

Staff member
The TTU program appears to be flailing around like an idiot about right now. I'd say that it is in melt down mode currently with the potential to be a dumpster fire right about October 1st.
Yeah but they look dreamy doing it...

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Yeah but they look dreamy doing it...
All of the so-called flash is a fantasy. Kliff is about as boring and unengaging of a guy you will find. A good example, as of right now the recruiting department has tweeted exactly 3 times this entire year. Baylor has done that today alone. Recruiting is pretty much flat and Emo is pretty much laughed at by HS coaches, which is the lifeline of recruiting. All of this coach bro stuff is made up. He is more like a wet blanket when it comes to reeling in interest.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I happen to think KK is doing a solid job.

TTU would be fools to get rid of him now. I'd give him another 5 years.

Rev

Staff member

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I happen to think KK is doing a solid job.

TTU would be fools to get rid of him now. I'd give him another 5 years.
I was just about done with him before last year even started. I damn sure am done with him now.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
I've been rooting for him since day one but it appears that he has lost the program. We shall see on his last chance this season.

In a way I wish he would succeed. It is too bad that he had zero experience and made some colossal mistakes. He swung and missed on some tires which set him back pretty significantly the talent pool is just about as shallow as you can imagine. And now it appears that they aren't even trying to recruit anymore. I think they are in full panic mode putting all the resources into this fall because they know that this is their last chance. What really would be the worst situation would be is if they won six games this year. If that happens there's going to be supporters and the detractors on both sides.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom