2014 College Football Chatter...

Status
Not open for further replies.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
I hated the idea of a playoff selection committee, they should have just kept the BCS computer ranking system and renamed it. It wasn't perfect but it's more unbiased than a bunch of schmucks picking winners and losers.

Notre Dame vs. LSU in The Music City Bowl, a bloodbath waiting to happen. LSU will run over and around ND.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Georgia Tech vs. Mississippi State in the Orange.
I plan on going to that game. I'm going to hold off a week or so before buying the tix because I've been told that I can typically get free tix through SOUTHCOM.

If you tune in to the December 22nd Miami Beach Bowl I'll be at that game as well. Free tix for doing the US flag hold and fold thing down on the field during the anthem for the BYU-Memphis game.

I'll probably stay the 1st half then jet at halftime.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
I plan on going to that game. I'm going to hold off a week or so before buying the tix because I've been told that I can typically get free tix through SOUTHCOM.

If you tune in to the December 22nd Miami Beach Bowl I'll be at that game as well. Free tix for doing the US flag hold and fold thing down on the field during the anthem for the BYU-Memphis game.

I'll probably stay the 1st half then jet at halftime.

I will see if I can find you on tv. Y'all all look the same to me.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
I hated the idea of a playoff selection committee, they should have just kept the BCS computer ranking system and renamed it. It wasn't perfect but it's more unbiased than a bunch of schmucks picking winners and losers.
I agree with this. Just keep the same formula but add two more teams to the equation. The human element would still be there by including the polls combined with the computer.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
I agree with this. Just keep the same formula but add two more teams to the equation. The human element would still be there by including the polls combined with the computer.
I would push it up to 8 teams, that would pretty much eliminate anyone whining about being slighted. It pushes a playoff from the current three games to five and that's doable.

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
IMO, when assessing blame, Baylor needs to look in the mirror for this very reason.

I've been railing against them and their soft non-conference schedule for the last few years. I knew it would come back to bite them in the ass.

I found it funny that when making the media rounds today, Art Briles tried to drop the excuse that non-conference schedules are put together year's in advance. While that's true, Baylor still loads their future schedule with nothing but cupcakes. They have no intention of changing their formula so they don't get to use the excuse that the schedule was made 5 years ago. Hell, this past spring they threw Incarnate Word (what?) on their schedule for the 2019 season. You telling me they couldn't find a N. Carolina State or Tennessee caliber team to put on the schedule? They definitely could but they're too chickenshit. Texas, Oklahoma St, TCU, Oklahoma, WV, etc. constantly schedule home & homes with good teams from the power 5 conferences so no excuse for Baylor to continue to load up on cupcakes.

Matter of fact I think Baylor is the only team in the Big 12 who is terrified to play a quality non-conference opponent.

Here's a quick look at Baylor's upcoming non-conference opponents.

2015: at SMU, Lamar, Rice
2016: Northwestern State, SMU, at Rice
2017: Liberty, UTSA, at Duke
2018: Duke, at UTSA
2019: Incornate Word, UTSA, at Rice

Nothing but absolute trash.

They've given themselves no room for error.
Yeah, at least TCu has Ohio St next year I think.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
I would push it up to 8 teams, that would pretty much eliminate anyone whining about being slighted. It pushes a playoff from the current three games to five and that's doable.
I do prefer an 8 team playoff but I guarantee it wouldn't keep teams from whining if they were left out. Just look at college basketball. I remember when it was 48 teams, then 52, then 64 and now 68. The last couple of teams out always feel slighted. Without a doubt with an 8 team playoff, team 9 and 10 would whine most years.

What I do like is that when it was the top 2 there were often legit concerns about team 3 or 4, so now that is covered. The main priority is making sure the top 2 team are included and I think that has been accomplished. I think 8 would be better but with 4 we at least have the top 2, imo.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
I do prefer an 8 team playoff but I guarantee it wouldn't keep teams from whining if they were left out. Just look at college basketball. I remember when it was 48 teams, then 52, then 64 and now 68. The last couple of teams out always feel slighted. Without a doubt with an 8 team playoff, team 9 and 10 would whine most years.

What I do like is that when it was the top 2 there were often legit concerns about team 3 or 4, so now that is covered. The main priority is making sure the top 2 team are included and I think that has been accomplished. I think 8 would be better but with 4 we at least have the top 2, imo.
Good point but 8 teams would still eliminate most of it without it becoming too drawn out like March Madness. Like you said, most of the complaining during the BCS era stemmed from those just outside the top two. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
IMO, when assessing blame, Baylor needs to look in the mirror for this very reason.

I've been railing against them and their soft non-conference schedule for the last few years. I knew it would come back to bite them in the ass.

I found it funny that when making the media rounds today, Art Briles tried to drop the excuse that non-conference schedules are put together year's in advance. While that's true, Baylor still loads their future schedule with nothing but cupcakes. They have no intention of changing their formula so they don't get to use the excuse that the schedule was made 5 years ago. Hell, this past spring they threw Incarnate Word (what?) on their schedule for the 2019 season. You telling me they couldn't find a N. Carolina State or Tennessee caliber team to put on the schedule? They definitely could but they're too chickenshit. Texas, Oklahoma St, TCU, Oklahoma, WV, etc. constantly schedule home & homes with good teams from the power 5 conferences so no excuse for Baylor to continue to load up on cupcakes.

Matter of fact I think Baylor is the only team in the Big 12 who is terrified to play a quality non-conference opponent.

Here's a quick look at Baylor's upcoming non-conference opponents.

2015: at SMU, Lamar, Rice
2016: Northwestern State, SMU, at Rice
2017: Liberty, UTSA, at Duke
2018: Duke, at UTSA
2019: Incornate Word, UTSA, at Rice

Nothing but absolute trash.

They've given themselves no room for error.
They are in your head.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
They are in your head.
I know OU's program is not as good as Baylor's but it still doesn't excuse the fact that Baylor purposely shies away from quality non-conference opponents.

They're never going to get the benefit of the doubt if they don't step up to the plate and schedule one of the big boys.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
One thing that folks fail to see about schools scheduling P5 games is that it is difficult to get P5 teams to do a home and away for schools like Baylor. Not many want to go to Waco in a possible losing situation. Plus the revenue is not really there.

Carp

DCC 4Life
One thing that folks fail to see about schools scheduling P5 games is that it is difficult to get P5 teams to do a home and away for schools like Baylor. Not many want to go to Waco in a possible losing situation. Plus the revenue is not really there.
Well, then they may just have to find alternative methods. Boise went and played Ole Miss and Georgia in the Chick Fil-A kick off games and visited Mich St and Wash. There are ways to improve your schedule, theirs is just not strong enough.

D

Deuce

UCF is begging for P5 teams to schedule them and have a lot of open dates on their schedule the next 3 days. Problem with a lot of those schools, Baylor included, is that they don't want to give up a home and home. They want it all on their own terms and nothing else.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Lot of rumors floating around that Muschamp has turned down the Aggies and we have moved on to Sumlins second choice of Foster and a deal is done and will be announced tomorrow

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Well, then they may just have to find alternative methods. Boise went and played Ole Miss and Georgia in the Chick Fil-A kick off games and visited Mich St and Wash. There are ways to improve your schedule, theirs is just not strong enough.
I can understand that as a mid-major conference member. P5 teams don't do P5 away only games. That is a terrible idea. It should but home and away, neutral field or nothing at all.

D

Deuce

Lot of rumors floating around that Muschamp has turned down the Aggies and we have moved on to Sumlins second choice of Foster and a deal is done and will be announced tomorrow
If Muschamp doesn't want a DC job at one of the highest levels, he must know he has a legit shot at another HC job. I would assume he could do better than Tulsa, but I think he could do really well there.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Foster leaving Beamer is about the equivalent of Fisher leaving Bowden. Unless Beamer is out at VT I would be shocked if that happened. If you guys could pull that off I say big time hats off to you.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I do prefer an 8 team playoff but I guarantee it wouldn't keep teams from whining if they were left out. .
As I said before, 8 teams is the right number.

Yes, teams are still going to complain, but the objective is to involve all the teams that truly deserve a shot at an NC, and an 8 team playoff does that.

If you can't make the top 8, tough shit.

To help with this process, I think there needs to be a standardized process for how the top 4 or 5 teams get in. I would get rid of all conference championship games and just determine a conference champion by using the same system the NFL uses to determine a division champion. That way, nobody can complain about having that extra game to impress while X conference does not.

Everyone would be on an even playing field with a clear understanding of what they need to do to get in.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom