2014 College Football Chatter...

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deuce

UCF's bowl announcement has been delayed for hours. They are going to the St. Pete Bowl, but the ACC planned to send Miami and now they are refusing to play us. Not they are juggling things around and will either send UNC or Pitt.

:lol

Don't call yourself a power program when you're scared of other teams in state.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I can't say OSU didn't deserve it, but they aren't beating any of the other teams in the playoff whereas TCU and Baylor could have. But again, I don't think they were necessarily the wrong pick.
I don't know about that. I could easily see Ohio State beating a Florida State team. Ohio State has as much talent as any of the teams in the playoff. With that being said, Alabama is going to beat Ohio State. Right now Alabama looks like the most dominant team in the country.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
UCF's bowl announcement has been delayed for hours. They are going to the St. Pete Bowl, but the ACC planned to send Miami and now they are refusing to play us. Not they are juggling things around and will either send UNC or Pitt.

:lol

Don't call yourself a power program when you're scared of other teams in state.
You really think they are scared to play y'all? Teams have to accept the invite to the bowl.

D

Deuce

You really think they are scared to play y'all? Teams have to accept the invite to the bowl.
That's one reason we know they're scared, the refused the invite. I get the reason. Losing to us is bad for recruiting so close to signing day when we are battling for similar players. Just think its funny.

GForce78NJ

Not So New Member
That's one reason we know they're scared, the refused the invite. I get the reason. Losing to us is bad for recruiting so close to signing day when we are battling for similar players. Just think its funny.
its probably more-so they have nothing to gain and everything to lose. They don't play that game, chances are they get 90% of the recruits they are battling for with UCF

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
As for the playoffs, I think teams 3-6 are incredibly close. I actually think the weakest is FSU, but when they are the only undefeated team from a power conference it's hard to argue against them. Alabama and Oregon were obviously shoe-ins. At #4 I have no problem with Ohio St. I do believe they are a little better than Baylor and TCU. Also, Baylor shot themselves with their weak out of conference schedule. In the end I think it's the right final 4. The only issue is the bowl committee looks foolish by having TCU so high and then dropping them after a 52 pt win. If they had been 5th or 6th all along then there would be no controversy.

Right now I think Oregon should beat FSU by double digits. Alabama/Ohio St should be a great matchup and I really want to see OSU pull it out.

As in aside, I was surprised to see Tennessee land a spot in the Gator Bowl. All the talk was Liberty vs. WVU or possibly Belk/Music City. For once they got a better bid then they deserved. At 6-6 I was fine with any of those 4 bowls.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Big 12 is quickly becoming the old Conference USA.
Just not much left out there to go after. With ND pretty much in the ACC the big fish would be BYU, IMO. Teams like UCF, Memphis, Cincy...just add more mediocrity to the conference.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Boise would be a huge get...Houston...Air Force...maybe.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Houston is trying to pry Leach away. He has a buyout and had to match his salary. I don't know it they can pull it off but I can see why they would go after him.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
I think the Big 12 snub was just based on name recognition, if it was Texas and OU instead of TCU and Baylor, one or both would be in. Small schools just can't be allowed to win.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I also think the selection committee bitched out and didn't want to have to answer questions as to who was more deserving between Baylor and TCU, especially if they chose TCU after they lost to Baylor, so they just went with Ohio St.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
After all of the bitching about who got left out I see that there are some good matchups for the Big12 and other related teams.

Baylor vs Michigan State in the Cotton Bowl at 11:30 a.m.Jan. 1
TCU vs Ole Miss in the Peach Bowl at 11:30 a.m. on New Year's Eve
K State vs UCLA in the Alamo Bowl
OU vs Clemson in the Russell Athletic Bowl
West Va vs A&M in the Liberty Bowl
Ok. St. vs Washington in the Cactus Bowl
UT vs Arkansas in the Texas Bowl

UH vs Pitt in the FW Armed Forces Bowl
Rice vs Fresno State in the Hawaii Bowl

Old conference tie-in bowls:

USC vs Nebraska in the Holiday Bowl
Illinois vs Louisiana Tech in the Heart of Dallas Bowl
Miami vs South Carolina in the Independence Bowl

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
I'll say this and keep in mind I have a slight bias, I have been at every TCU home game this year and while Baylor beat TCU in their building, it was a ridiculous game and TCU wins on a neutral field 8-10 times. Baylor played no one else in non-conference play and got beat by team that TCU walloped. TCU was playing better football and I think had the better chance to beat any of the teams in the top 4. Teams getting ranked ahead of teams they beat happens all the time so that was really not as big a deal as it was being made out. I think the top 4 should have stayed as it was, but I'm already over it. Sniff!

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Maryland really screwed themselves in terms of a bowl by blowing that Rutgers game but things could be alot worse than playing Stanford in San Francisco, and they sure as shit have been over the last 5 years.

Carp

DCC 4Life
The top 4 makes for very compelling games. Ala and OSU will be interesting, considering how Ala struggles with the deep ball and it appears that Jones' strongest asset is throwing it down the field.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
I'll say this and keep in mind I have a slight bias, I have been at every TCU home game this year and while Baylor beat TCU in their building, it was a ridiculous game and TCU wins on a neutral field 8-10 times. Baylor played no one else in non-conference play and got beat by team that TCU walloped. TCU was playing better football and I think had the better chance to beat any of the teams in the top 4. Teams getting ranked ahead of teams they beat happens all the time so that was really not as big a deal as it was being made out. I think the top 4 should have stayed as it was, but I'm already over it. Sniff!
I wouldnt say that was a slight bias....

D

Deuce

I'm looking forward to the Cowboys losing to the Eagles next week, but fortsbest telling us how Dallas is the better team despite losing head to head matchups.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
IMO, when assessing blame, Baylor needs to look in the mirror for this very reason.

I've been railing against them and their soft non-conference schedule for the last few years. I knew it would come back to bite them in the ass.

I found it funny that when making the media rounds today, Art Briles tried to drop the excuse that non-conference schedules are put together year's in advance. While that's true, Baylor still loads their future schedule with nothing but cupcakes. They have no intention of changing their formula so they don't get to use the excuse that the schedule was made 5 years ago. Hell, this past spring they threw Incarnate Word (what?) on their schedule for the 2019 season. You telling me they couldn't find a N. Carolina State or Tennessee caliber team to put on the schedule? They definitely could but they're too chickenshit. Texas, Oklahoma St, TCU, Oklahoma, WV, etc. constantly schedule home & homes with good teams from the power 5 conferences so no excuse for Baylor to continue to load up on cupcakes.

Matter of fact I think Baylor is the only team in the Big 12 who is terrified to play a quality non-conference opponent.

Here's a quick look at Baylor's upcoming non-conference opponents.

2015: at SMU, Lamar, Rice
2016: Northwestern State, SMU, at Rice
2017: Liberty, UTSA, at Duke
2018: Duke, at UTSA
2019: Incornate Word, UTSA, at Rice

Nothing but absolute trash.

They've given themselves no room for error.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
After all of the bitching about who got left out I see that there are some good matchups for the Big12 and other related teams.

Baylor vs Michigan State in the Cotton Bowl at 11:30 a.m.Jan. 1
TCU vs Ole Miss in the Peach Bowl at 11:30 a.m. on New Year's Eve
K State vs UCLA in the Alamo Bowl
OU vs Clemson in the Russell Athletic Bowl
West Va vs A&M in the Liberty Bowl
Ok. St. vs Washington in the Cactus Bowl
UT vs Arkansas in the Texas Bowl
Georgia Tech vs. Mississippi State in the Orange.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom