2 athletes convicted of raping unconscious women given wildly different sentences

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
The dangerous level varies per person.

townsend

Banned
So what if they did drugs days before? They were intoxicated having smoked marijuana a week before hand? And deserve mandatory jail time for it? Nonsense.

Just part of the over hysteria of DUI.

As for the level, it should first and foremost be set where people are actually a significant danger, if you're putting them in jail for it. While it varies from person to person, lots of people have literally no feeling of impairment at .08.
I do agree that blood tests for long lingering drugs is BS. I can't speak authoritatively on BAC limits, I've driven with 3 or 4 beers in my system and felt fine, and had days where a couple drinks got me tipsy enough where it was dangerous. Like most of these things, no one's very anxious to have a level discussion about. Taking up for the bad guys is never a good idea in a witch hunt.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I do agree that blood tests for long lingering drugs is BS. I can't speak authoritatively on BAC limits, I've driven with 3 or 4 beers in my system and felt fine, and had days where a couple drinks got me tipsy enough where it was dangerous. Like most of these things, no one's very anxious to have a level discussion about. Taking up for the bad guys is never a good idea in a witch hunt.
Exactly.... witch hunt.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
in PA, do you get pulled over for being over .08% BAC? Or do you have to drive in a manner that gets you pulled over and then it's discovered you're over the limit?
Hmmm... damn good question.

~Berman head swing~

Smitty?

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
How else would they know you are over the limit unless they pull you over for a different reason?

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
I will now never drive in California or Pennsylvania.

Rev

Staff member
Everybody thinks they can handle it until they can't.

Rev

Staff member
You're quoting Jenna Jameson?
Joke if you want but distracted driving whether by drinking or texting is just plain stupid. I'm just glad I'm not sharing the road with you. You are just playing with fire each time you do and could be involving other people.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Joke if you want but distracted driving whether by drinking or texting is just plain stupid. I'm just glad I'm not sharing the road with you. You are just playing with fire each time you do and could be involving other people.
Absolutely. Texting is probably worse than intoxication behind the wheel because the driver is more distracted and impaired as to reaction time with this task.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Back me up, Schmitty. We're just good folks making dumb mistakes. That's all.
We should probably just throw everyone in jail who drives poorly in any manner. Since they clearly are a danger to society.

Rev

Staff member
We should probably just throw everyone in jail who drives poorly in any manner. Since they clearly are a danger to society.
Yeah because thats exactly what I said. It's about minimizing the distractions. Drunk driving and texting? Give me a break.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Yeah because thats exactly what I said. It's about minimizing the distractions. Drunk driving and texting? Give me a break.
Agree. Driving is a difficult enough task without throwing in things that make it more difficult. It just takes a split second to get splattered.

Kbrown

Not So New Member
Do you people ever think that maybe because you're so close to the internal works of the law that you kind of lose focus on real life implications, like not having repeat drunk drivers putting kids at risk?

It's like an astronomer who can't appreciate how beautiful a sunrise is, because he's thinking of solar gases and shit.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Do you people ever think that maybe because you're so close to the internal works of the law that you kind of lose focus on real life implications, like not having repeat drunk drivers putting kids at risk?

It's like an astronomer who can't appreciate how beautiful a sunrise is, because he's thinking of solar gases and shit.
Not really. I think it's easy for someone to be super judgmental when they aren't actually dealing with things first hand. I think there is such a stigma about drunk driving that no one really wants to have an honest conversation about it, they just want to get super pissed off. There are many people who drive with BAC levels over .08 multiple times over their life spans who probably never once put a child at risk. Hell, I think a lot of people who act really judgmental about DWI's drive after having a drink or two and have no idea they may be driving at a level that would be legally intoxicated.

I want to stop car related fatalities. I completely agree with that. But why do we draw the line as the people who are drunk during those are the devil, while everyone else it is just an honest "accident?" There are certain people though who not just drink and drive, but they have zero ability to control themselves. Believe it or not I've dealt with some of them first hand as well and they are scary. But we lump everyone together unfortunately.

Last edited:

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Not really. I think it's easy for someone to be super judgmental when they aren't actually dealing with things first hand. I think there is such a stigma about drunk driving that no one really wants to have an honest conversation about it, they just want to get super pissed off. There are many people who drive with BAC levels over .08 multiple times over their life spans who probably never once put a child at risk. Hell, I think a lot of people who act really judgmental about DWI's drive after having a drink or two and have no idea they may be driving at a level that would be legally intoxicated.

I want to stop car related fatalities. I completely agree with that. But why do we draw the line as the people who are drunk during those are the devil, while everyone else it is just an honest "accident?" There are certain people though who not just drink and drive, but they have zero ability to control themselves. Believe it or not I've dealt with some of them first hand as well and they are scary. But we lump everyone together unfortunately.
If you drive you deal with it first hand. If your daughter is T boned by someone who is driving without a licence and insurance and she has three joint replacements and back surgery you are dealing with it first hand.

Genghis Khan

I think radio, CD players, lighters, heaters, air conditioning, air vents, air fresheners, vanity mirrors, cup holders, and any flat surfaces that could be used for placing food should all be illegal to use while the vehicle is moving. Why stop at texting? Eliminate all distractions.

Trunks and glove compartments don't thrill me either. You could get distracted by what may or may not bein there.

We should also develop devices like in A Clockwork Orange that force your eyelids open.

These measures may seem extreme to some, but if it saves one life it will have been worth it.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
How else would they know you are over the limit unless they pull you over for a different reason?
Checkpoints? Tail lights being out? Cops pulling over people without good reason just to see if they are drunk late at night? Or other legitimate but non DUI traffic stops like for speeding, running a stop sign, etc, none of which automatically imply danger to others beyond what a fully sober driver might be.

Smitty

DCC 4Life

Have you ever thought that maybe you aren't close enough? It's real easy to take a machismo "tough on crime/tough on drug use/tough on DUI stance" without considering the very real damage you are doing to a person's life who maybe really wasn't much more of a danger than someone fiddling with their stereo or texting.

I get that we have to think of the children and all but im suggesting that having mandatory sentencing for DUI isn't the way to accomplish it.

Genghis Khan

Checkpoints? Tail lights being out? Cops pulling over people without good reason just to see if they are drunk late at night? Or other legitimate but non DUI traffic stops like for speeding, running a stop sign, etc, none of which automatically imply danger to others beyond what a fully sober driver might be.
This is exactly what I was saying. You can't pull someone over for being over the BAC because it's impossible to know until you've stopped the driver for a different reason.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
My favorite is a person's license plate light being out.

Top Bottom