Week 11 Gameday Chatter | Cowboys Bye Week | 11/16/2014

Carp

DCC 4Life
I am seeing some things we can do against the Colts...vulnerable up the middle, particularly with a FB leading the way.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Gronkowski is making some nice blocks too. Witten is always a willing blocker, might be having his best year blocking. Seems to be springing more big runs with kick out blocks in shotgun than I can ever remember. Although we are actually running this year, so it's all kind of new.

22cowboysfan22

Brand New Member
That hit on Emmanuel Sanders is the epitome of a hit on a defenseless receiver. Why was it not called? Why is it ever called? What is the point of the penalty? It's retarded.
It was called:

(13:28) (No Huddle, Shotgun) 18-P.Manning pass incomplete deep right to 10-E.Sanders (94-R.Quinn). DEN-10-E.Sanders was injured during the play. He is Out. PENALTY on STL-23-R.McLeod, Unnecessary Roughness, 15 yards, enforced at DEN 47. Penalty on STL-22-T.Johnson, Illegal Contact, declined.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Yeah...they called it and he'll he fined.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
It was called:

(13:28) (No Huddle, Shotgun) 18-P.Manning pass incomplete deep right to 10-E.Sanders (94-R.Quinn). DEN-10-E.Sanders was injured during the play. He is Out. PENALTY on STL-23-R.McLeod, Unnecessary Roughness, 15 yards, enforced at DEN 47. Penalty on STL-22-T.Johnson, Illegal Contact, declined.
Yeah, but there is some weird confusion about what hitting a defenseless receiver is. It's a confusing penalty. Wasn't called there, but that fits the definition of the penalty perfectly. Why not just leave the unnecessary roughness penalty in place and forego this defenseless receiver crap that can't or isn't enforced consistently?

GForce78NJ

Not So New Member
The Colts defense is poor. We should be able to run all over them. The key is stopping Andrew Luck from 400 yards passing, 100 yards rushing and 4 TDs total

Carp

DCC 4Life
Yeah, but there is some weird confusion about what hitting a defenseless receiver is. It's a confusing penalty. Wasn't called there, but that fits the definition of the penalty perfectly. Why not just leave the unnecessary roughness penalty in place and forego this defenseless receiver crap that can't or isn't enforced consistently?
Pretty much the same thing under a different name...kind of how roughing the passer is basically unnecessary roughness.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Yeah...they called it and he'll he fined.
Some dude was arguing with me on Twitter about this. I said he'd probably be fined as well but the other guy kept insisting it was a legal hit just because the announcers and Mike Carey said it was legal.

However if you read the NFL rule book it clearly defines that type of hit as an illegal hit against a defenseless receiver. Doesn't matter that McLeod lead with his shoulder because it was a hit around the head and Sanders had no way of defending himself.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Some dude was arguing with me on Twitter about this. I said he'd probably be fined as well but the other guy kept insisting it was a legal hit just because the announcers and Mike Carey said it was legal.

However if you read the NFL rule book it clearly defines that type of hit as an illegal hit against a defenseless receiver. Doesn't matter that McLeod lead with his shoulder because it was a hit around the head and Sanders had no way of defending himself.
Yeah...it does not matter how he hit him, it was how Sanders was when he got hit. There is a difference between a hit like that and the one Hitchens was called for last week.

Cotton

Staff member
Pretty much the same thing under a different name...kind of how roughing the passer is basically unnecessary roughness.
Then just clean up the rules and call it one thing. And call it consistently, because the defenseless receiver penalty is not even close to being a consistent call.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
This defenseless receiver crap makes no sense. You're supposed to stand around and not tackle the guy until he's already off and running? Bullshit.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Then just clean up the rules and call it one thing. And call it consistently, because the defenseless receiver penalty is not even close to being a consistent call.
Not seeing the issue. Most penalties are inconsistent honestly...depending on the crew working. Same with PI, etc. That penalty in particular is a 15 yarder...don't care what they call it.

Carp

DCC 4Life
This defenseless receiver crap makes no sense. You're supposed to stand around and not tackle the guy until he's already off and running? Bullshit.
Is that what you saw today? I didn't.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
I disagree.

I think if they can get a combo of SA and Austin fans they can support a team here. SA fans are seriously passionate about the Spurs and I think they could be the same for a football team.

Comparing Texas sports fans to Florida sports fans who won't show up for any sport is unfair. Florida and Georgia won't turn out for any pro sport and Jacksonville is basically the worst of both states. Texas people love football and Dallas is too far for people from here to want to go up for a game.
It is all about TV sets, bro. SA can be passionate all that they want but it is not enough. You need a bigger following than what SA can offer.

That was the comparison to Jacksonville. Showing up to games is only part of it. SA just now got a real college football team in the last 3-4 years. Imagine that - a city of this size and no college team.

Cotton

Staff member
Not seeing the issue. Most penalties are inconsistent honestly...depending on the crew working. Same with PI, etc. That penalty in particular is a 15 yarder...don't care what they call it.
Nothing is as wildly inconsistently called as this one. No one can even explain how it's supposed to work. It's a dumb penalty that can't even be enforced correctly.

Cotton

Staff member
Is that what you saw today? I didn't.
How many times have you seen a receiver hit right after he catches the ball even though he isn't looking forward? What 4-5 times a game? It's a stupid penalty. And no one really even understands it.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
It is all about TV sets, bro. SA can be passionate all that they want but it is not enough. You need a bigger following than what SA can offer.

That was the comparison to Jacksonville. Showing up to games is only part of it. SA just now got a real college football team in the last 3-4 years. Imagine that - a city of this size and no college team.
Most big colleges were founded 100 years ago. A lot has happened since then. Are you saying San Antonio isn't as big as Lubbock or College Station? Really?

There are enough combined TV sets in SA/Austin to dwarf dying cities like Buffalo, St Louis, Oakland (where most fans are 49ers fans), Cleveland, Detroit, etc.

Also, San Antonio is growing like crazy. Oil and Gas money is everywhere south of SA now. It's not a town of poor Mexicans anymore. Plenty of guys driving trucks and working on rigs in the Eagle Ford Shale can afford tickets. There is also a ton of investment in the city trying to make it a tech hub. AT&T pledged recently to make SA the first metro area in the state to get internet at Gb speeds. In 5 years, 1604 will be as built up as 410. Add in Austin affluence and you have a damned big vein to tap into.

We can handle the Raiders or the Chargers better than the disinterested "Isn't football too 'Red State' for us" Californians any day.

Tony D

DCC 4Life
Jonas Gray for Pats from ND
168 yards
4 TD

You can find backs anywhere. Will we give DeMarco big contract? Makes sense not to.

Top Bottom