Must See Movies

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Pass. Now it there's some Zoe Saldana alien nipple action I might be inclined.
I saw it yesterday and really enjoyed it. I had the same reservations from the trailers but didnt have much to do yesterday so went ahead and saw it. Im glad I did because I found it to be quite funny and nice some real nice action.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I would say GOTG was the best movie this summer...with Edge of Tomorrow second.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Been wanting to see that for weeks. Kenneth Turan (LA Times movie critic) said he didn't get what all the hullaballo was about as it was universally praised, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to dig it. Linklater's stuff is usually very solid.... "Bernie" was phenomenal.
"Boyhood" is getting pretty over the top positive reviews. It's a neat concept and it's enjoyable, but it's not a total "Wow!" or anything. Just a well done coming of age story with a unique approach in filming scenes over a period of 12 years. If you like Linklater you'll like it.

Did you know that the real Bernie Tiede was released from prison after 17 years under the conditions that he live with Linklater, who had been pushing for his release? Apparently he lives in a garage apartment at Linklater's and works as a paralegal somewhere here in Austin.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
I would say GOTG was the best movie this summer...with Edge of Tomorrow second.
Pretty sure I'm going to see GOTG later tonight. I don't go see many of the movies based off of comic books and the first time I saw the trailer with the talking raccoon my first thought was "OMG...retarded". It has gotten a lot of love in this thread though and several of my friends have also been talking it up quite a bit, so I'm going to go check it out.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Pretty sure I'm going to see GOTG later tonight. I don't go see many of the movies based off of comic books and the first time I saw the trailer with the talking raccoon my first thought was "OMG...retarded". It has gotten a lot of love in this thread though and several of my friends have also been talking it up quite a bit, so I'm going to go check it out.
It's got some heart to it...the talking raccoon thing is weird, but when explained it makes sense. Each character makes sense and are easy to like.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
Edge of Tomorrow rebranded with Live. Die. Repeat. lmao

Edge of Tomorrow rebranded with Live. Die. Repeat. lmao

The Tom Cruise vehicle Edge of Tomorrow was one of the best movies of the summer, featuring one of its most audacious concepts and, in Emily Blunt's Rita, one of the year's best female characters (in a year that has not exactly been brimming with great female characters, particularly in mainstream Hollywood films). Naturally, it completely bombed at the box office. Having made just under $100 million might mark the film as a success in some circles, but that's against a $178 million budget, so… not so great. (The movie performed better overseas, where it made over $264 million, but because of marketing costs and what cut of ticket sales the studio is allowed to take home, it is very, very unlikely the film is in the black yet.)

Warner Brothers, the studio behind the film, has decided that what kept the movie from success was its title, according to Criticwire's Sam Adams. This isn't such a bad assumption, considering Edge of Tomorrow sounds like one of the terrible Pierce Brosnan James Bond movies or maybe a film about a young woman and a gentle cowhand who share one summer of forbidden passion amid the African veldt. It does not sound like a movie where Tom Cruise fights a war against aliens by dying endlessly, then being resurrected every time with the knowledge needed to get a few steps further in the next life.

Thus, Warner Brothers has renamed the film, an unprecedented step in this day and age, replacing Edge of Tomorrow with its much better advertising tagline: Live Die Repeat. On the DVD cover, EdgeofTomorrow gets smushed into one word right next to the words "Cruise" and "Blunt" along the bottom of the DVD.

Also, as discovered by The Film Stage, the film is actually being retitled entirely on iTunes, where it now goes by Live Die Repeat: Edge of Tomorrow.

It's a bit of a desperate play by Warner Brothers to make a movie that didn't do very well into a bigger hit on DVD and Blu-Ray. Will it work? Probably not. But if it does, look out for Beware the Cloud: Sex Tape and No, We Didn't Just Rip Off E.T.: Earth to Echo replacing the titles of two of this summer's other notable bombs.

Foobio

DCC 4Life
"Boyhood" is getting pretty over the top positive reviews. It's a neat concept and it's enjoyable, but it's not a total "Wow!" or anything. Just a well done coming of age story with a unique approach in filming scenes over a period of 12 years. If you like Linklater you'll like it.

Did you know that the real Bernie Tiede was released from prison after 17 years under the conditions that he live with Linklater, who had been pushing for his release? Apparently he lives in a garage apartment at Linklater's and works as a paralegal somewhere here in Austin.

I did hear about that. I thought it was very strange...

Carp

DCC 4Life
They call him the November Man because when he come passes through...nothing lives.

lol wut

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
I enjoyed Guardians of the Galaxy. Coming out of it I felt like maybe I wasn't quite as impressed as most people I've heard talk about it (a downside to being exposed to a big buildup I think), but all the same, it was fun. Very goofy, which was OK. The space action was pretty cool. The Drax the Destroyer character cracked me up. Also, Zoe Saldana...yes please.

I might not recommend it quite as enthusiastically as most, but have told a couple people who haven't seen it yet that it's worth going to the theater to see.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I enjoyed Guardians of the Galaxy. Coming out of it I felt like maybe I wasn't quite as impressed as most people I've heard talk about it (a downside to being exposed to a big buildup I think), but all the same, it was fun. Very goofy, which was OK. The space action was pretty cool. The Drax the Destroyer character cracked me up. Also, Zoe Saldana...yes please.

I might not recommend it quite as enthusiastically as most, but have told a couple people who haven't seen it yet that it's worth going to the theater to see.
I think it is a movie that will get better with repeated viewings. I knew nothing about the characters really, so I was not as invested as I would be in Han Solo or someone along those lines. Now that I know them better I think I will enjoy the movie more and the sequels.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I just noticed that Crackle has Private Resort on it.

I'll be watching that following the game.

Loved that movie as a kid. Laughs, crude jokes, nudity....typical 80s teen comedy. :towel

D

Deuce

The first Sin City was cool because of the effects, the way it was shot and the overall vibe of it. The content was just ok, but you forgave it because of everything else.

The new one didn't do it for me. Outside of multiple looks at Eva Green's bodacious bod, I was bored.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

Saw it on Sunday afternoon with my boy and I liked it.

Went to a different theater than usual and that was an experience as well. This theater serves you food, beer, wine etc. along with the flick.

It is amazing how hard it is to eat a bleu cheese burger in the dark.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Saw it on Sunday afternoon with my boy and I liked it.

Went to a different theater than usual and that was an experience as well. This theater serves you food, beer, wine etc. along with the flick.

It is amazing how hard it is to eat a bleu cheese burger in the dark.
Is it an Alamo Drafthouse? We have one here now, and that is where we watched GOTG. It was a great experience all the way around.

Top Bottom