Training Camp/OTA's Chatter Thread...

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Teams had no respect for the Cowboys’ running game so they often used seven defenders in coverage and still managed to contain DeMarco Murray. Play coverage this season and the Cowboys should be more than happy to punish teams with their running game -- at least that's what Garrett and Linehan want you to believe.
"Oh, my God. It's the best zone scheme in the league," Pickett continued. "The last four weeks, nobody could stop it -- their zone scheme. And they gave up on it. We're just happy they did. We were, like, 'OK, we'll take it.'"

Pickett wasn't the only Green Bay player to express astonishment at Dallas' refusal to lean on Murray with a commanding lead.

"That's just who they are," cornerback Tramon Williams said. "They run the ball really well against everybody they play, but they just never stick with it."

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
"Oh, my God. It's the best zone scheme in the league," Pickett continued. "The last four weeks, nobody could stop it -- their zone scheme. And they gave up on it. We're just happy they did. We were, like, 'OK, we'll take it.'"

Pickett wasn't the only Green Bay player to express astonishment at Dallas' refusal to lean on Murray with a commanding lead.

"That's just who they are," cornerback Tramon Williams said. "They run the ball really well against everybody they play, but they just never stick with it."
That was high praise after a game which was horrifically painful because the Packers knew they could have got their ass kicked, but of course, thanks to inept coaching, that didn't happen.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

This makes me very angry every time I read it. Up 23 points! God damn.

Jiggyfly

Banned

If this does not get a head coach fired nothing will.:picard

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
If this does not get a head coach fired nothing will.:picard
Depends on the head coach's position in the family portrait.

Honestly, if Jones could find a way to extend Garrett and not have a full scale fan revolt, he would.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Depends on the head coach's position in the family portrait.

Honestly, if Jones could find a way to extend Garrett and not have a full scale fan revolt, he would.
He's testing the waters right now with these recent fluff pieces I bet

Jiggyfly

Banned
I have never been a full on hate Jerry guy but this infatuation with Garrett is pushing me to the dark side.

Bob Roberts

Professor StinkFinger
The bottom line is Jerry is comfortable now, which is about as scary as an Ebola diagnosis

Stars

DCC 4Life
I have never been a full on hate Jerry guy but this infatuation with Garrett is pushing me to the dark side.
I used to be the same way, but the last few years have broken me. I have no faith in Jerry or his redneck family. I'm sure there are already instructions in place to cryogenically freeze Jerry's body after he dies, so they can continue to posthumously take advice from their dark lord and master.

Cotton

Staff member
Dallas Cowboys wake-up call: Day 10
August, 2, 2014

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

OXNARD, Calif. -- Every day of Dallas Cowboys training camp, we’ll offer up a wake-up call that offers a quick review of the previous day and a preview of the current day.

Today’s schedule: The Cowboys return from an off day with a 3:45 p.m. practice. Jason Garrett’s news conference is at noon.

Quick thoughts on five padded practices:

In four padded practices, Tony Romo has completed 41 of 59 passes in team and 7-on-7 drills, a nearly 70 percent completion rate. Romo completed only 63.9 percent of his passes last season, which was his lowest in a full season since 2009 when he completed 63.1 percent. For all of the talk about what Romo has not done in training camp in terms of his schedule, when he has practiced he has not looked much different than in recent years.

Depending on a coach’s perspective, there can be cause for joy and elation in training camp. At least most of the time. There has to be some concern about how easy the Cowboys are running the ball against the defense. Now, you can say the offensive line is that good, but there have been runs where running backs DeMarco Murray and Lance Dunbar are 10 yards downfield before they get touched. There isn’t a lot of scheming going on in camp, but there has to be some worry.

As I think about my next roster projection, I might consider adding a sixth wide receiver. If I do, it would be LaRon Byrd at this point. He has made some nice plays the last few days. He’s not the fastest but he makes contested catches.

What I’m watching: Garrett thought the Thursday walk-through was a little lackadaisical and let the players know it. Let’s see if the players are sharp after an off day.

Romo did not practice after the first off day of camp and it will be interesting to see if he sits out of today’s work. With three straight practices before the team leaves for San Diego, perhaps Romo could increase his workload this week. The Cowboys will have a walk-through on Wednesday. He is questionable at best to play Thursday against the Chargers and next Friday will be an off day as well.

The cornerbacks could use some help just out of numbers. They have only five healthy corners right now, although Morris Claiborne (knee) and Sterling Moore (groin) could return after sitting out Thursday’s work.

They said it: “I love him. I feel like he’s one of the best coaches I’ve ever played for in my life. He just brings a whole other intensity, a whole other passion to the game, so it’s kind of hard not to want to play for him.” -- Linebacker Kyle Wilber on special teams coach Rich Bisaccia.

Cotton

Staff member
Mailbag: Checking In On Devin Street’s Progress
Posted 47 minutes ago

A KAPLAN
NEW YORK, NY
Obviously even before DeMarcus Lawrence went down there was so much talk about the pass rush. The injury to the No. 34 pick only amplified the potential for last year's problem to carry over -- with that in mind, I haven't read anything about how Caesar Rayford is doing. They were so high on him last year and pass rushing was supposed to be his thing, but he seems to be a forgotten man. Were the Colts right to cut him?

Bryan: Caesar Rayford was the great mystery after what I observed from his preseason tape with the Colts. I thought Will McClay and the pro staff had really found a gem there but in that first season, that wasn’t the case at all. He really was a man without a position and that hurt his development in my opinion. In these practices he has lined up at end but has also taken snaps at tackle. His play has been more in line with what we saw last season but there is still a ways to go here.

David:Like Bryan mentioned, my biggest impression from Rayford is that the coaches have been moving

him around the line, both inside and outside. As always, he looks like he should be a force, and he has had some flashes during practice. But he’s not consistently catching eyes like some of his counterparts – Henry Melton and Tyrone Crawford, mainly.

LANCE PHILLIPS
LOVELADU, TX
I haven't heard much mention about Devin Street. How is he doing at camp? Where do you think he will fit in?

Bryan: I have been much more impressed with what Street has been able to do in these practices as opposed to how he has played in the OTAs and minicamps. Right now I would think that he is looking at the fourth spot with the potential to see some work with Bryant and Williams. He has done a nice job with his route running and has been consistent with his hands. He is looking comfortable with all the opportunities in which they have put in his direction.

David: All credit due to Cole Beasley. I thought heading into camp that Street was a serious contender to win the slot spot and take playing time away from Beasley, and that just hasn’t been the case. To this point, Beasley has looked impressive and I’d be stunned to see anyone unseat him. That’s not a knock on Street at all. He has looked good in practice and, just like in OTAs, my main takeaway from watching him play is his versatility within the formation. It will be fun to watch him get some snaps in San Diego.

Cotton

Staff member

Cotton

Staff member

Cotton

Staff member

Cotton

Staff member