Training Camp/OTA's Chatter Thread...

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Many a different time. I just tried and its not on yet.
Seen some people over at the zone say its up, watching it on tv myself so not sure but maybe try a different browser?

p1_

DCC 4Life
Y'all need to start a thread

D

Deuce

Why should we watch a scrimmage? This D is just going to give us more of the same.

@toddarcher: Dez Bryant ends 2 minute with at least 55 yard TD. Beat Scandrick on slant and sprinted to end zone. Where were the safeties?

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Why should we watch a scrimmage? This D is just going to give us more of the same.

@toddarcher: Dez Bryant ends 2 minute with at least 55 yard TD. Beat Scandrick on slant and sprinted to end zone. Where were the safeties?
Yep. The defense is going to be brutal for a while. It's probably going to take at least two good offseasons of FA pickups and drafts to right the ship.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Wilcox popped Bryant. Caused a brew-ha-ha.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Looked like Wilcox tried to stomp him abit
Yeah, that was a bit odd.

Bryant apparently has been chattering at Terrence Mitchell a bit, telling him to take it easy, because he supposedly hurt Harris.

Eff that if these DBs suck ass, I at least want them to have attitude.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Yeah, that was a bit odd.

Bryant apparently has been chattering at Terrence Mitchell a bit, telling him to take it easy, because he supposedly hurt Harris.

Eff that if these DBs suck ass, I at least want them to have attitude.
I really hope this isn't a sign of Dez having his attitude coached out of him

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I really hope this isn't a sign of Dez having his attitude coached out of him
I don't think it is that.

I think it does have him asserting the fact he's kind of a big deal now and he can tell lowly DBs what to do.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
I don't think it is that.

I think it does have him asserting the fact he's kind of a big deal now and he can tell lowly DBs what to do.
Hope you're right, I'm just sick of the emotionless "leaders" on this team

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Sorry LT went over to neighbors and watched it..it was on 387 on time warner
I found it. It was on the local DFW channel 21. My Kindle browser apparently wouldn't process the video and I was too lazy to go upstairs to my computer room.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Three thoughts on Day 12 of Cowboys camp

August, 4, 2014

By Jean-Jacques Taylor | ESPNDallas.com

A few days ago, I was watching practice with former Pro Bowl guard Nate Newton, while the offense was gashing the defense virtually every play.

Newton leaned over and said, “If Butch Davis or Dave Wannstedt was coaching this defense and they had a day like this, he’d tell one of his guys, 'Enough of this, let’s take them to the ground. I want to see somebody get hit.'

Well, J.J. Wilcox took it upon himself to drill Dez Bryant during Sunday’s Blue and White scrimmage. Less than a minute later, punches were being thrown.

Bryant had been talking trash virtually the entire scrimmage, and he had just taken a slant about 80 yards for a touchdown on the previous series. Finally, Wilcox had heard and seen enough.

He delivered a message. Good for him. Next time, delivering it sooner would be even better.

Zack Martin gets matched up with former Pro Bowl defensive tackle Henry Melton much of the time, and it hasn’t seemed to bother him.

It’s just training camp, but he looks like a player who is going to be a quality starter for a long time.

That is good because it’s devastating when a franchise misses on a first-round pick. One of the biggest reasons the Cowboys have only one playoff win since 1996 is they missed on a pair of first-round picks in 2008.

Coming off a 13-3 season, the Cowboys had two first-round picks and three of the first 61 picks.

They drafted Felix Jones, Mike Jenkins and Martellus Bennett. Neither first-rounder received a second contract with the Cowboys.

They spent a third-round pick on DeMarco Murray to replace Jones, they spent $50 million on Brandon Carr to replace Jenkins and they essentially spent a second-round pick on Gavin Escobar to replace Bennett.

Jones, Jenkins and Bennett didn’t have to be stars, but what if they were? The Cowboys would have more than one playoff win.

The same is true if they had each had been good players like Anthony Spencer. Or really good players like Greg Ellis.

None of them were impact players in Dallas, and the Cowboys have spent a lot of time, money and resources cleaning up that mess.

Dallas might have a similar situation with Morris Claiborne, but it looks like they got it right with Martin.

If the Cowboys can keep Tony Romo upright -- that is a huge if -- this could be the Cowboys’ best offense since the glory days of the early 90s.

In 2007, the Cowboys scored 455 points (28.4 per game) as Tony Romo passed for 4,200 yards with 36 touchdowns and 19 interceptions. Terrell Owens had 1,355 yards receiving with 15 touchdowns, and Jason Witten had 1,145 yards with seven touchdowns.

This offense should be able to run it, and the triumvirate of Dez Bryant, Witten and Terrance Williams is better than T.O., Witten and Patrick Crayton.

The key, as it was in 2007, will be the offensive line. If that unit plays to its immense potential this offense will be one of the league’s best -- as long as Romo is in the lineup.

Key number: 257

The Cowboys’ defense was on the field for 1,094 plays last season and 257 of them -- 65 runs and 192 passes -- gained 10 yards or more.

That’s 23.4 percent. Wow.

The 65 runs of 10 plus yards they allowed ranked second only to Chicago’s 84. Philadelphia (202) and Minnesota (200) were the only teams that allowed more pass plays of 10 yards or more.

The Tampa 2 scheme is designed to stop big plays because the safeties and linebackers are supposed to keep plays in front of them.

This is the biggest indictment of Monte Kiffin as defensive coordinator. He couldn’t get his players to play the scheme the way it was designed.

Player to Watch: Martez Wilson

The Cowboys are trying to convert Wilson from a linebacker to a defensive end, in part, because they are so desperate for someone, anyone who can rush the passer.

Wilson, who played nine games with three different teams last season, has a quick first-step and he used it to scoot past tackle Jermey Parnell during Sunday’s Blue & White scrimmage. Then he stripped the ball from quarterback Brandon Weeden and returned it from a touchdown.

“One of the things he has that’s just so evident is great quickness and explosiveness off the ball,” coach Jason Garrett said. “The biggest thing for him to do is to learn how to play the position and all the nuances of playing with his hand on the ground as a defensive end.”

The Cowboys need pass-rushers and playmakers, which is why he will get every opportunity to make the team.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Mid-Day Report: No Claiborne In SD; DB Help On Way

Posted 3 hours ago

David Helman

DallasCowboys.com Staff Writer

OXNARD, Calif. – Morris Claiborne won’t practice Tuesday or play in Thursday’s game against San Diego, as he continues to work his way back from tendonitis in his knee.

“I won’t be playing in the Chargers game. I won’t be even be practicing today, I’ll be doing the routine they have me doing on the field,” said Claiborne following the Cowboys’ Tuesday morning walkthrough. “I’ll be doing some drills on the field, so I won’t be practicing.”

Claiborne is one of several hampered cornerbacks at a position that hasn’t been at 100 percent capacity since the start of camp. Brandon Carr has been absent since the Cowboys arrived in California, as he copes with the death of his mother. Claiborne hurt his knee last week, and that was quickly followed by injuries to Sterling Moore and Dashaun Phillips.

To offset those losses, the Cowboys are bringing in several new faces at the position. The team is expected to give physicals to, and likely sign, two new defensive backs – Korey Lindsey and Johnny Thomas.

Lindsey was a seventh-round draft pick out of Southern Illinois in 2011, and he has spent time with six NFL teams in the past three years. Thomas, a safety, played for Oklahoma State, where he was ruled ineligible for the 2011 season. He went undrafted in 2012.

Cowboys coach Jason Garrett said at his afternoon press conference that the team wants to get the two into practice as quickly as possible. Unfortunately, their flight is delayed and they may not be available Tuesday.

In the meantime, Claiborne said he’ll continue to work on rehabbing his knee during practice on Tuesday.

“I’m getting back – we’re just kind of managing it,” he said. “It is what it is. I’ll be doing the same thing I’ve been doing every day and just rehabbing.”

Claiborne said his hope going forward is to be ready to practice when the Cowboys return from San Diego, and to be ready to play for the second preseason game on Aug. 16 against Baltimore.

Coping with his third injury stint in as many training camps, Claiborne insisted he isn’t frustrated with the situation.

“I’m at a good place right now, I’m good. I’m not stressed out over anything,” he said. “I know this is like the third year that I’m missing time, but I’m in a better place right now than I was those last two years.”

Here are some other highlights from Garrett’s afternoon press conference:

•Tony Romo isn’t going to practice Tuesday, in keeping with the scheduled off days the coaching staff has given him during training camp. Romo practiced Monday, and he said after the Blue-White scrimmage on Sunday that he expected to practice either Monday or Tuesday, but not both.

•Garrett said the Cowboys coaching staff will begin having conversations about playing time for the San Diego game on Tuesday afternoon. “As a general comment,” he said he expects the first-team players to play a small amount, with the second team and the third team getting significantly more playing time. Romo said Sunday he doesn’t expect to play against the Chargers, and he expects he’ll see his preseason debut against Baltimore.

•The Cowboys have worked a lot on different end-of-game and end-of-half scenarios, with a lot of that coming in two-minute situations. Garrett said he thought the team has handled itself well in implementing the gameplans, as the coaching staff has given out a lot to digest in the installation period.

•With the focus on offensive line in recent drafts, Garrett said he thought the Cowboys have an opportunity to be a physical team for the first time “in a while.”
------------

So very ready for Claiborne just to GTFO.

I used to rag on Newman for being all talk and no action, but good Christ...this guy is a total waste. "Injured" constantly, unproductive when he really does play.

p1_

DCC 4Life
I fear you're spot on with this. This will go down as the biggest bust of this Duck Dynasty. Hope I'm wrong, but this has fail written all over it.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I wonder if it would be worth our time to call up the Detroit Lions about Suh. Aren't they are rumors that that relationship is not going to last? I wonder if they would listen to an offer of like a second round pick?

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
------------

So very ready for Claiborne just to GTFO.

I used to rag on Newman for being all talk and no action, but good Christ...this guy is a total waste. "Injured" constantly, unproductive when he really does play.
I always thought Newman caught too much grief around here.

He was pretty good for the majority of his Cowboys career.

That bow-legged SOB was no All Prop but at least he held his own which is more than we can say about Claibust.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

Top Bottom