Video Game Chatter

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
For those of you with PS4's, I'm sure you know that the battery life on the DS4 is not as good as the DS3 was. Probably the biggest reason for that is because of the big ass blue light on top of it.

So it's nice to find out that in Sony's next firmware update for the PS4 will be the option to turn that light off, thereby extending the battery life.
For me that light makes absolutely no sense. Of course if you have multiple people playing in the same room the idea is that the light is different colors on each controller right?

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
For me that light makes absolutely no sense. Of course if you have multiple people playing in the same room the idea is that the light is different colors on each controller right?
Well, the light is big like that because it's supposed to be detectable by the camera to implement all the features that go with that peripheral, but for those of us who don't have or want the camera, it's just a battery eating light.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Finally, something new to play on PS4.

Infamous comes out tomorrow and the ratings have all been good.

Looking forward to getting my hands on this one.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Finally, something new to play on PS4.

Infamous comes out tomorrow and the ratings have all been good.

Looking forward to getting my hands on this one.
I'm anxious to see the PS+ update for April. I've gotten Resogun, Don't Starve, Contrast, and Dead Nation so far. Nice little Indie games while I'm waiting for the next blockbuster.

Which.... will not be Infamous for me.... I didn't care for the previous ones. Watchdogs looks like it could be the one.

D

Deuce

I've heard good things about Don't Starve. It's quick too. Some games can last only like 15 minutes.

EZ22

The One Who Knocks
Never played either of them so suck it!

Why is 2k better?

D

Deuce

Not sure what you mean..... it can last indefinitely, unless you die.
That's correct, but there's a bunch of things you have to do to survive as well as fight off monsters. Plus the game time is sped up so just cause you last 3 days, in gameplay it's actually 15 minutes.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Never played either of them so suck it!

Why is 2k better?
For starters, NBA2K along with the The Show have been by far and away the best sports games in the industry for about 5 years running now.

NBA Live on the other hand has been so bad for a while now, that the 2012 version was completely cancelled just weeks before it launched because it was so awful. So the original plan was to wait another year but EA said they still weren't comfortable releasing an NBA Live 2013 and decided to put all the work they had already done into the 2014 version that would be on PS4/XB1.

So to recap, they cancelled NBA Live 11, 12, and 13 in order to put a real effort into fixing the game until they felt they got it right.

Well, they had 3 years to work on this version and it too was terrible.

Here are some of the reviews:

Operation Sports - http://www.operationsports.com/reviews/729/nba-live-14/

3.5 out of 10

NBA Live 14 is easily the worst title in the PlayStation 4's holiday lineup and a stinging, flagrant foul against longtime fans of EA Sports' increasingly irrelevant basketball brand.

IGN - http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/11/19/nba-live-14-review

4.3 out of 10

NBA Live 14 sinks lower than I ever thought this once-proud series could go. Making the totally fair comparison to NBA 2K14 would be like LeBron James playing a pickup game against an arthritic giraffe. But even taken in isolation, the resurrected NBA Live is a mess of a hoops sim both in your hands and in your eyes that wouldn’t even make the D-League All-Star team. In fact, there’s only one thing about NBA Live that’s better than its competitor: the net. Yes, that one thing is the net, and it is the best net I’ve ever seen in a basketball game. There, I said something nice.

Meanwhile, NBA2K has averaged scores of 9 for the last 4 years straight. It makes you wish that 2K could get their hands on football again.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
For starters, NBA2K along with the The Show have been by far and away the best sports games in the industry for about 5 years running now.

NBA Live on the other hand has been so bad for a while now, that the 2012 version was completely cancelled just weeks before it launched because it was so awful. So the original plan was to wait another year but EA said they still weren't comfortable releasing an NBA Live 2013 and decided to put all the work they had already done into the 2014 version that would be on PS4/XB1.

So to recap, they cancelled NBA Live 11, 12, and 13 in order to put a real effort into fixing the game until they felt they got it right.

Well, they had 3 years to work on this version and it too was terrible.

Here are some of the reviews:

Meanwhile, NBA2K has averaged scores of 9 for the last 4 years straight. It makes you wish that 2K could get their hands on football again.
It's never a good sign to have development lag behind so badly that parts of the game look like they were meant for the previous console generation.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
That's correct, but there's a bunch of things you have to do to survive as well as fight off monsters. Plus the game time is sped up so just cause you last 3 days, in gameplay it's actually 15 minutes.
Longest I lasted in limited plays was like 30~something days, and it took a couple hours. But that's just scratching the surface.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Maybe the person I've heard playing it just sucks. But she still enjoyed it.
:lol

That's possible. In 15 minutes, I don't see how you could possibly do anything. The game is built on collecting resources, and using those resources to make things, and then using those things to make new things, etc. There are like 7 different item trees that go 10 deep. The amount of resources you have to collect to build some of the upper level stuff (and survive throughout the game) is enormous and really time consuming.

But yeah, it's fun. Unforgiving, but fun. If you die... it's over. You have to start a new game from scratch. Even if you spent 5 hours surviving. There are things you can do to resurrect yourself, but you have to have created them in the game. If you don't... game over.

D

Deuce

That's possible. In 15 minutes, I don't see how you could possibly do anything. The game is built on collecting resources, and using those resources to make things, and then using those things to make new things, etc. There are like 7 different item trees that go 10 deep. The amount of resources you have to collect to build some of the upper level stuff (and survive throughout the game) is enormous and really time consuming.

But yeah, it's fun. Unforgiving, but fun. If you die... it's over. You have to start a new game from scratch. Even if you spent 5 hours surviving. There are things you can do to resurrect yourself, but you have to have created them in the game. If you don't... game over.
I think her shortest game was she was picking berries and didn't realize they were poisonous. I've heard people on podcasts playing it too. One person mentioned chopping trees to build shelter and one of the trees came to life and chased them away. She thought she got away easily cause of how slow it was, but it reappeared later that night because it never gave up and killed her. :lol

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Pretty cool feature done by SI.com about the features that have been removed from the Madden games over the years by the NFL:

It’s Not In the Game: Eight Features the NFL Made EA Sports Remove from “Madden”

There are a staggering number of steps involved in bringing a video game with the sophistication and legacy of Madden to market, and it shouldn’t surprise you to learn that getting sign-off from the NFL is one of them. Even less surprising is the fact that the league has over the years insisted that EA remove existing features that fans loved, or planned elements that would have been enthusiastically received. It’s the league’s shield on the cover, so they get a say.

Extra Mustard reached out to a handful of former and current Madden producers to learn more about the role the so-called No Fun League (the Nixing Features League? Anyone?) has played in shaping the Madden franchise over the past 25 years. Some producers were measured in their assessment. Said one, “The ownership of the project was very much with EA, but the NFL does have approval rights, as is true of any company that works with licensors. This is not unique to Madden.” Others took a stronger position, such as the producer who told us, “The NFL is ultra-conservative and made us change or remove things all the time.”

Whatever the case, the league clearly has influence over the contents of the game—and as these eight example show, it doesn’t hesitate to use it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THE AMBULANCE

The famed Madden ambulance made its debut in Madden ’92, and with its proclivity for running over players en route to retrieving injured stars, it was an immediate fan favorite. Over time the NFL’s own enthusiasm for the emergency vehicle waned, and it eventually became the first in-game element that the NFL asked to have removed. It last appeared in Madden NFL 2001.

“In retrospect, it probably wasn’t the most tasteful thing to celebrate a major injury,” says one producer. “And this was in the era before concussion awareness that we have today.” Even so, the EA team pushed to revive the beloved feature. ”We asked NFL every year if they were ok with bringing the ambulance back,” says a different producer. “They said, ‘We know it’s your legacy, but not comfortable with it.’”

Eventually the two parties compromised on having a cart that drove onto the field, with the league feeling that was more authentic. But even that addition came with caveats: “They did not want to see a player strapped to a backboard, motionless,” says the second producer. “That was a hard restriction, given to us in the mid-2000s. If a guy was carted off the field, he had to be moving around, not paralyzed.”

http://extramustard.si.com/2014/03/12/ea-sports-madden-features-nfl-remove/

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I used to love the ambulance.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Not sure what to expect from this one since it's a digital download game, but the old school RBI Baseball from the NES days is making a return:

http://www.pastapadre.com/2014/03/12/first-details-on-rbi-baseball-14

Two months have passed from when RBI Baseball 14 was initially announced and now MLB Advanced Media is finally following up with information on the game. As expected it will be a digital download and feature simplistic gameplay and limited features. It’ll be out for Xbox 360, PS3, iOS, and Android on April 10 with Xbox One and PS4 said to follow “shortly” after those launch. Price is yet to be announced.

RBI 14 will feature two-button controls and the game modes are limited to Exhibition, Season, and Postseason. There is no online play functionality. It apparently won’t utilize microtransactions which is a relief considering MLBAM’s track record on mobile. All teams and licensing are included but rosters will be limited to 16 players. The focus is on accessibility and making games quick to complete.

Ultimately the hope out of a digital download-only sports game that won’t top $15 is to get some fun out of it. The experience isn’t going to be as rich as a full retail release title and RBI never was meant as a competitor to MLB: The Show. Whether this route with RBI will be seen as appealing to consumers remains to be determined.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Pretty cool feature done by SI.com about the features that have been removed from the Madden games over the years by the NFL:

It’s Not In the Game: Eight Features the NFL Made EA Sports Remove from “Madden”

There are a staggering number of steps involved in bringing a video game with the sophistication and legacy of Madden to market, and it shouldn’t surprise you to learn that getting sign-off from the NFL is one of them. Even less surprising is the fact that the league has over the years insisted that EA remove existing features that fans loved, or planned elements that would have been enthusiastically received. It’s the league’s shield on the cover, so they get a say.

Extra Mustard reached out to a handful of former and current Madden producers to learn more about the role the so-called No Fun League (the Nixing Features League? Anyone?) has played in shaping the Madden franchise over the past 25 years. Some producers were measured in their assessment. Said one, “The ownership of the project was very much with EA, but the NFL does have approval rights, as is true of any company that works with licensors. This is not unique to Madden.” Others took a stronger position, such as the producer who told us, “The NFL is ultra-conservative and made us change or remove things all the time.”

Whatever the case, the league clearly has influence over the contents of the game—and as these eight example show, it doesn’t hesitate to use it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THE AMBULANCE

The famed Madden ambulance made its debut in Madden ’92, and with its proclivity for running over players en route to retrieving injured stars, it was an immediate fan favorite. Over time the NFL’s own enthusiasm for the emergency vehicle waned, and it eventually became the first in-game element that the NFL asked to have removed. It last appeared in Madden NFL 2001.

“In retrospect, it probably wasn’t the most tasteful thing to celebrate a major injury,” says one producer. “And this was in the era before concussion awareness that we have today.” Even so, the EA team pushed to revive the beloved feature. ”We asked NFL every year if they were ok with bringing the ambulance back,” says a different producer. “They said, ‘We know it’s your legacy, but not comfortable with it.’”

Eventually the two parties compromised on having a cart that drove onto the field, with the league feeling that was more authentic. But even that addition came with caveats: “They did not want to see a player strapped to a backboard, motionless,” says the second producer. “That was a hard restriction, given to us in the mid-2000s. If a guy was carted off the field, he had to be moving around, not paralyzed.”

http://extramustard.si.com/2014/03/12/ea-sports-madden-features-nfl-remove/

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I used to love the ambulance.
I forgot about it. It was awesome.

Top Bottom