Cowboys considered firing OC Linehan during bye week

p1_

DCC 4Life
By Austin Knoblauch
Digital Content Editor
Published: Nov. 11, 2018 at 09:33 a.m.
Updated: Nov. 11, 2018 at 09:47 a.m.

The Dallas Cowboys' offensive woes are no secret, and it appears the team was close to making a significant change to their coaching staff even before the season started.

Speaking on Good Morning Football Weekend, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport said Cowboys head coach Jason Garrett seriously considered firing offensive coordinator Scott Linehan before the start of the season. Instead, Garrett decided to "go all-in" with Linehan and embrace some of the changes to the receiving room he recommended, per Rapoport.

Garrett also mulled over the idea of firing Linehan during the bye week following the Cowboys' loss to the division rival Washington Redskins last month, Rapoport reported. In the end, the team opted to fire offensive line coach Paul Alexander.

Following Monday's loss to the Tennessee Titans, Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said the team would not make any in-season coaching changes.

The 3-5 Cowboys will have to win the vast majority of their remaining slate of games in order to preserve their playoff aspirations. If the team fails to make the postseason for a second straight season, it could jeopardize Jason Garrett's nine-year run in Dallas.

While Garrett's job should be safe through the balance of the season, the team has potential replacements on their radar should they feel compelled to make a move.

"If they do end up replacing Jason Garrett at the end of this season, I'm told both [Cowboys executive vice president] Stephen and [owner] Jerry Jones have an affinity for [Oklahoma coach] Lincoln Riley," Rapoport reported. "So the Cleveland Browns, if they're interested in Baker Mayfield's old coach, may have some competition."

As Jerry Jones noted after Monday's loss, there's still plenty of football left for the Garrett, Linehan and the rest of the Cowboys to turn things around. A win over the Philadelphia Eagles on Sunday could help Dallas get their season back on track.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Must have realized that they wouldnt have had a scapegoat at the end of the season.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm down with that. He either would have Dak humming or we would know for sure he has to go.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
p1_ said:
"If they do end up replacing Jason Garrett at the end of this season, I'm told both [Cowboys executive vice president] Stephen and [owner] Jerry Jones have an affinity for [Oklahoma coach] Lincoln Riley," Rapoport reported. "So the Cleveland Browns, if they're interested in Baker Mayfield's old coach, may have some competition."
I was already ready to root against the Boys tonight, but this just fucking seals it. I unashamedly cheer, "FLY EAGLES FLY!"

p1_

DCC 4Life
yall gettin behind the cause.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Let's get rid of the ginger finally!
:towel

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I feel like the playoffs are the water mark for Garrett. Fail to get in, and he's out. I can only hope that Jackass Jerry agrees.
Playoffs get him an extension.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Well, at least we are safe from an extension for one more year.
And I dont think there will be a lame duck season, riding out the last year of his contract.

Cotton

Staff member
And I dont think there will be a lame duck season, riding out the last year of his contract.
You think he gets fired after this season?

p1_

DCC 4Life

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
They at least wouldn't be given the 8 year lease gingerfuck has had. If Garrett gets an extension it's over, we will be stuck with him forever

Cotton

Staff member
Dead to me.
:lol

I was wondering how long it would take to get a reply from you. I fucking hate the Eagles, but I hate Jason Garrett and Jerry Jones more.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
:lol

I was wondering how long it would take to get a reply from you. I fucking hate the Eagles, but I hate Jason Garrett and Jerry Jones more.
I hate nothing more. They are ISIS.

ISIF, if you will.

Top Bottom