Cowboys hot topic: It may be time for an “amicable divorce” from Dez Bryant

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
So it’s Dez holding the offense back?

Not the idiotic coaching or lack of confidence in the running game when the superstar RB is gone or the eroding talent on the OL or the frigging inexperienced QB who looked lost most of last year.

Blame Dez.

Jesus Christ, the Dak cult lives.

It's really ridiculous.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

Not the idiotic coaching or lack of confidence in the running game when the superstar RB is gone or the eroding talent on the OL or the frigging inexperienced QB who looked lost most of last year.

Blame Dez.

Yeah because it has got to be only one player. :lol Couldn't possibly be that both players struggled last year. Especially when one is almost 30 and had multiple injuries over the last few years. And the other was a young QB who still has a ton to learn.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Blame Dez.

Yes. The answer to your question is yes.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
It's really ridiculous.
Let’s ignore the multiple fing elephants in the room, ie Dak, the coaching staff, and micromanaging ownership.

In fact, blame anyone but Dak who is above reproach at all times.

It’s horsecrap.

He never was Randy Moss, but Dez is still pretty damned good.

Focus us on getting better elsewhere and not throwing the baby out and turning a hole at WR into a yawning chasm.

Cotton

Staff member
Let’s ignore the multiple fing elephants in the room, ie Dak, the coaching staff, and micromanaging ownership.

In fact, blame anyone but Dak who is above reproach at all times.

It’s horsecrap.

Focus us on getting better elsewhere and not throwing the baby out and turning a hole at WR into a yawning chasm.
There is no one on this board that has absolved Dak of all fault. Not one person.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Why because he makes the occasional circus catch? It amazes me how people think of NFL players as the same thing they were 3 + years ago. Three years in the NFL is a lifetime. You can't keep paying a guy 17 mil a year because three years ago he was really good.

Dez still makes the occasional great circus catch but he just isn't a great WR anymore. Eventually you just have to let the guy go when the cost far exceeds the utility.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
he just isn't a great WR anymore. Eventually you just have to let the guy go when the cost far exceeds the utility.
No one says Dez is the same guy from 2014, but neither is his QB.

Who cares how much he costs— who are you going to replace him with?? And don’t pull some ambiguous unnamed WR out of your nethers.

If you can’t answer that question, then you can’t release him. A decision that big can’t be made in a vacuum. Yay we saved a few million. So what? You created a glaring mfing hole that can’t be filled this year.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
There is no one on this board that has absolved Dak of all fault. Not one person.
I don't think that's true in any real sense.

There are a handful of people that bristle REAL hard at any and every mention of Dak's flaws, or if someone dares to have the opinion that there's a good chance Dak isn't our solution at QB or god forbid that Dak is a big reason for our problems and limitations on offense.

People have attacked me for daring to suggest that it isn't Dez, it's Dak.

If you don't think that's what's been going down here, fair enough, but that's been my experience.

Cotton

Staff member

There are a handful of people that bristle REAL hard at any and every mention of Dak's flaws, or if someone dares to have the opinion that there's a good chance Dak isn't our solution at QB or god forbid that Dak is a big reason for our problems and limitations on offense.

If you don't think that's what's been going down here, fair enough, but that's been my experience.
Sliding scale of blame. Dak can be at fault to a lesser degree than Dez, and I think he is. That is not to say Dak has no blame, though. But, couple Dez's incessant yammering for the ball with his drops and half-ass route running and it's easy to take the position that Dez is holding Dak and the entire offense back.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
No one says Dez is the same guy from 2014, but neither is his QB.

Who cares how much he costs— who are you going to replace him with?? And don’t pull some ambiguous unnamed WR out of your nethers.

If you can’t answer that question, then you can’t release him. A decision that big can’t be made in a vacuum. Yay we saved a few million. So what? You created a glaring mfing hole that can’t be filled this year.
Right now we can replace Dez with a receiver who catches 50% of the balls thrown at him for 800 yards. Shouldn't be very difficult. That's the point.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Oh bullshit, I've said Dak needs to play better. I just don't agree with the over the top ridiculousness that Dak is somehow the center of everything wrong on offense.
:lol

Saying he can play better is fine. Still doesn't stop you from throwing a tantrum every time somebody suggests he isn't the 2nd coming.

Carry on.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
:lol

Saying he can play better is fine. Still doesn't stop you from throwing a tantrum every time somebody suggests he isn't the 2nd coming.

Carry on.
Sure, because I've ever once called him the second coming...

deadrise

DCC 4Life
Maybe Dak's downturn in performance is a chicken-and-egg thing. Other teams decided they were no longer afraid of Dez as a deep threat, which meant that Dez had to rely more on running good patterns, which he sucks at. Teams also figured out to nullify Beasley.

The Garrett brain trust, unable to adapt to changing circumstances, answered by convincing Dak he had to force the ball more to Dez. Which equals some bad choices and bad throws.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Maybe Dak's downturn in performance is a chicken-and-egg thing. Other teams decided they were no longer afraid of Dez as a deep threat, which meant that Dez had to rely more on running good patterns, which he sucks at. Teams also figured out to nullify Beasley.

The Garrett brain trust, unable to adapt to changing circumstances, answered by convincing Dak he had to force the ball more to Dez. Which equals some bad choices and bad throws.
Well it's not just Dez. There were a lot of factors that went wrong last year. The injuries to Tyron Smith had a massive impact. Obviously the Zeke stuff had a massive impact. It wasn't just Dez and Dak.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Well it's not just Dez. There were a lot of factors that went wrong last year. The injuries to Tyron Smith had a massive impact. Obviously the Zeke stuff had a massive impact. It wasn't just Dez and Dak.
Garrett and Linehan deserve the lions share of blame imo, letting a jag like Clayborn look like a stud because they refused to alter their gameplan vs Atlanta is some of the worst coaching I have ever seen

deadrise

DCC 4Life
True. But the larger point is Garrett's inability to adjust to those contingencies -- unlike another team in the same division that adapts on the fly to key injuries and whatever else comes along. Or the team up Boston way that competes for the Big Game every year with an ever-changing cast of characters.

Garrett loses Smith and Zeke, but all he does is bury his head deeper in the same predictable playbook and the same scheme that opposing teams already have already figured out.

Jerry and his asshole son talk about making the offense Dak-friendly, which means nothing. How about making the coach creative, innovative, adaptable, unpredictable. Or better yet, how about a different coach?

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Garrett and Linehan deserve the lions share of blame imo, letting a jag like Clayborn look like a stud because they refused to alter their gameplan vs Atlanta is some of the worst coaching I have ever seen
The Chargers game was a horror show too. They were not prepared.

Top Bottom