Williams: Rookie safety J.J. Wilcox doesn't think his inexperience will keep him from

Jiggyfly

Banned
If he was rated to go in that range, I can't see why. Success in the NFL is going to be a major long shot for a guy with that much to learn. On top of that, even if he can be developed it will take years and his rookie contract would be almost up by the time he's starting.
How much have you actually seen of his play?

You sure are making a lot of assumptions based only on what other guys have done in the past, what have you seen of his abilities that make you so sure it will take him 4 years to develop.

Yeah he might be a long range project or he might be a naturally instinctive guy who picks things up quickly, but its comical how you can say things like he was drafted to high while most likely seeing very little of him in action.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
"Light years. Light years," Cowboys defensive backs coach Jerome Henderson said when asked how far away Wilcox is. "You have that coupled with the fact that the league he played in.
Just what you want to hear about your 3rd round pick. Particularly at a position that's severely thin.

Good job, Cowboys.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member

You sure are making a lot of assumptions based only on what other guys have done in the past, what have you seen of his abilities that make you so sure it will take him 4 years to develop.

Yeah he might be a long range project or he might be a naturally instinctive guy who picks things up quickly, but its comical how you can say things like he was drafted to high while most likely seeing very little of him in action.
I watched the guy's "highlight" reel, and it left a lot to be desired. He looked pretty ordinary to me......against piss poor competition.

I didn't see a single "wow" play. It was just a bunch of standard tackles and few pass breakups.

If we're going to burn a pick on a small school project he should at least be dominant against the other small schools.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I watched the guy's "highlight" reel, and it left a lot to be desired. He looked pretty ordinary to me......against piss poor competition.

I didn't see a single "wow" play. It was just a bunch of standard tackles and few pass breakups.

If we're going to burn a pick on a small school project he should at least be dominant against the other small schools.
Compare him to Webb and it is clear.

We probably got a better player, a full round later.

I guess luck counts sometimes too.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard

Since we've drafted him, Matt Johnson and AOA in that range since 2010, I'm not impressed with this system of picking up small school safeties that we have.

A team like the pats or niners that come in to the draft with the starters set and extra draft picks can afford a luxury/project pick, but this team should be picking people who already know how to play. That goes double since the defensive backs coach has never coached the scheme before and will be learning on the job.

No, I didn't watch film of JJ Wilcox. I don't have to in order to know that this is a very risky boom or bust pick and those picks bust nearly 100% of the time in Dallas.

Top Bottom