Williams - Brandon Carr on his future: I just love being a Cowboy

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Brandon Carr on his future: I just love being a Cowboy

By Charean Williams

cjwilliams@star-telegram.com

ARLINGTON —

Some national media had the Cowboys releasing Brandon Carr earlier this month. The cornerback, though, remains on the roster.

Carr expects to line up in his familiar spot in the Cowboys’ starting lineup come opening day.

“I do, unless you guys know something I don’t know,” Carr said. “I just prepare for whatever happens and be ready. Right now, my thought process is get my body ready, get my mind mentally ready for the grind, and just be ready for wherever action comes.”

During a joint charity appearance with WWE Superstars at the North Texas Youth Education Center, Carr said more than once that he hopes to remain in Dallas.

Carr signed a five-year, $50.1 million deal with the Cowboys in 2012 and goes into the final year of that deal with a cap number of $13.8 million, including a $9.1 million base. Carr would not answer directly whether the Cowboys have asked him to take a pay cut.

“You know I don’t like to talk about those things,” Carr said. “I’ll let that side, that situation handle itself outside the media. What I will tell you is that I just love being a Cowboy; I love being in Dallas and the community. I look forward to playing another year.”

His answer remains the same as last year when the same questions about his future were posed. Carr made the Cowboys’ blink in 2015, declining to lower this salary and playing for an $8 million base with a $12.7 million cap number.

This year, Carr’s cap hit ranks fifth among NFL cornerbacks behind only Darrelle Revis, Richard Sherman, Trumaine Johnson and Josh Norman.

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones recently said that it’s hard for Carr – or anyone -- to live up to being “the $50 million man.”

“Going through this process, I knew a lot comes with the territory, comes with the name,” Carr said of Jones’ comment. “I’m just blessed to be able to have a situation to sign a contract like that. I’ve been playing the game for a long time. You dream it as a kid. My thing is to continue to work. I’m still in this league. I’m still alive. I still have an opportunity to get up each and every day to go do something I love to do, so just go out there and do it to the best to my ability, and we’ll see what happens down the road.”

Carr, who turns 30 in April, has no interceptions the past two seasons. He has six interceptions in his four seasons in Dallas, with 39 passes defensed.

The Cowboys would gain $9.1 million in cap space if they designated Carr a post-June 1 cut, and they would have $2.7 million count against the cap in dead money next season.

But can the Cowboys afford to cut Carr?

Orlando Scandrick is coming off major knee surgery after tearing two ligaments in his right knee during training camp. The Cowboys re-signed Morris Claiborne, but he has never played a full 16-game season. He has missed 24 of a possible 64 games in his career, including five games last season.

The Cowboys hosted free agent cornerbacks Leon Hall, Nolan Carroll and Patrick Robinson, but none signed.

“In my eight years, they’ve been doing it for eight years now, so it’s nothing new,” Carr said. “It’s all part of the process. You’ve got to continue to evaluate guys and bring them in and bring good guys for competition.”

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Translation: easy money

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Translation: easy money
Sure it is. Blame Goof Son for the idiotic contract that makes it that way. '

There were two top CBs in that free agent class and we just HAD to get Fat Rob his beloved CB. Carr and Finnegan. The Rams took Finnegan and then cut him. We went with the younger player, misjudged his abilities and now are stuck with him.

But the tragic part is that they love this guy. If he gave them the finger again on a cut, they would probably shrug their shoulders and say okay.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't even care if he lives up to the contract he signed. I just want an actually good player. Shit at least play at a Scandrick level for that kind of money. Instead we get a guy who is well below average starting corners.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Sure it is. Blame Goof Son for the idiotic contract that makes it that way. '

There were two top CBs in that free agent class and we just HAD to get Fat Rob his beloved CB. Carr and Finnegan. The Rams took Finnegan and then cut him. We went with the younger player, misjudged his abilities and now are stuck with him.

But the tragic part is that they love this guy. If he gave them the finger again on a cut, they would probably shrug their shoulders and say okay.
You had no issue with the contract when he signed it and certainly did not call it idiotic.

I actually think you were pushing for Finnegan.

That was the going rate for a CB at that time and the consensus was we got the younger better corner.

Hell even Smitty was OK with it.:lol

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Hell even Smitty was OK with it.:lol
I think Smitty was pissed it interfered with our ability to get Carl Nicks and wanted a backup-level CB talent. In the end we dodged the Nicks bullet only to take another.

That contract was an overreaction to the meltdown CB performance vs the Giants in 2011. As was trading up for and drafting Morris Claiborne.

That is what I fear, that we take a QB with the 4th pick in an overreaction to Romo's 2015 injuries and the terrible available quality at NFL backup QB.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Nicks got MRSA from the Buccaneers locker room, it's almost impossible that he also would have gotten it if he signed with Dallas instead. That's not dodging a bullet, he probably would have thrived here.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Nicks got MRSA from the Buccaneers locker room, it's almost impossible that he also would have gotten it if he signed with Dallas instead. That's not dodging a bullet, he probably would have thrived here.
Good point. He was clearly better than Carr at the time and was also badly needed.

Ironic that now OG is the one position we're absolutely loaded at while we're still ailing at CB.

Top Bottom