Why I Can't Say 'Love the Sinner/Hate the Sin' Anymore

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Except, of course, that gay people aren't sinning in a strictly moral, non religious sense.

Genghis Khan

So god creates a segment of people that are inherently attracted to the same sex and completely unattracted to the opposite sex. Then god says, but don't act on it.

Awesome job at being god.

Genghis Khan

Notice that in the article that Jesus also, when he knelt in the sand with the woman, he said "go and sin no more."

Just saying there has to be a mechanism in place for recognizing that there is behavior that is sinful, and advising people to stop behaving that way.

Jesus are with prostitutes and befriended them, while also recognizing that such behavior was sinful. I think the issue is that homosexual people don't want to be told that they are acting sinfully.

If we're gonna reconcile this with Jesus, it's probably that, while it was sinful to be a prostitute, he didn't differentiate between those people and rich people who sinned by not caring for the poor, or people who lie to their spouses, etc. In our society, homosexuality carries a much bigger stigma than those infractions.

Unless of course you don't actually believe in the concept of sin.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
So god creates a segment of people that are inherently attracted to the same sex and completely unattracted to the opposite sex. Then god says, but don't act on it.

The problem is that you are arguing from a secular standpoint and trying to prove that you are right. Anyone else arguing from a theological standpoint will feel that they are right as well. Secularism charges and flows with the trends of society. Theological viewpoints stay the same throughout time for the most part. At least they are supposed to. I'm sure I am over simplifying that somehow...

To your point though - God is not responsible for the flaws of man. Man is responsible for that. People have all sorts of tendencies like alcoholism. Most agree and tendency/studies that some people are more prone to addiction. Some people can control it and others can't at all. Some would say it goes to genetics. I think we can all agree that alcoholics should stay away from booze all together since they struggle. I'd bet that some here have called them weak or idiots without concern that they may have been born with certain tendencies. I see nobody making that a theological debate or social war when I'd bet there are more alcoholics than gays. Everyone just thinks they shouldn't drink.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard

I don't think everyone agrees that sociological elements don't have anything to do with homosexuality. No "gay gene" has ever been found by the human genome project.

In my view it has nothing to do with sin, of course. Humans are unpredictable at all times in what they find sexual. I don't get being gay anymore than I get being into feet, but I don't think people are inherently drawn to feet either.

EZ22

The One Who Knocks

We are created in his image, dood!

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Unless of course you don't actually believe in the concept of sin.
Well if you aren't religious then why would a religious interpretation mean anything to you? This entire article and thread is approaching the issue from a religious perspective though.

Smitty

DCC 4Life

He also said "Don't commit adultery either" but we have urges to do that.

If you are questioning why God created humans who are able to disobey him, you are asking a question that is best not answered in this thread.

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
My exploration into my own path to finding God only started a few years ago, so my opinions won't be as learned as some here. That having been said. Part of the problem when dealing with the gay issue is that the radical supporters of gays will look for any quote from any individual that is anything but positive regarding gay issues, and turn it into "gay bashing". It isn't enough that folk are tolerant of their lifestyle or behavior, everyone has to walk lockstep and usher in the era of gay is grand. The problem is, my Bible, and truth be told many of the major religions of the world, teach that homosexuality is wrong and is sinful. If you wish to be Christian, your aim is to get as close to God as you can through trying to live as sin free a life as possible and by doing good works. You cannot ask for forgiveness of a sin if you know in your heart you intend to commit the sin again. That is the plight of mortal man, we are sinners and our goal is to strive to be as sin free as we can. And when we fail we ask forgiveness and try not to do it again. Marriage is a sacrament given by God that is between a man and a woman. It is a religious institution, not a made made one. Government should never have gotten involved in the first place, but it is definitely not theirs to change the definition of and pervert because 2-3% pf the population feel they deserve it.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

He gives you this extraordinary gift, and then what does He do, I swear for His own amusement, his own private, cosmic gag reel, He sets the rules in opposition. It's the goof of all time. Look but don't touch. Touch, but don't taste. Taste, don't swallow. Ahaha. And while you're jumpin' from one foot to the next, what is he doing? He's laughin' His sick, fuckin' ass off!

I don't think I have ever seen a better spot for this quote...

Top Bottom