Whitmire: Jerry Jones OK with Kiffin, but wants more from Romo

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Jerry Jones OK with Kiffin, but wants more from Romo

KEITH WHITMIRE |

Published: Thursday, November 21, 2013, 4:32pm

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones had a lot to get off his chest Thursday.

In addition to announcing the head coach Jason Garrett would return in 2014, Jones also said he is content with Monte Kiffin in charge of his drowning defense but would like to see the Cowboys get more production out of quarterback Tony Romo.

The defense is ranked last in the NFL and has already set some historic lows for the franchise. Yet Jones told reporters he isn't at all disappointed with the job Kiffin is doing with a defense that, in all fairness, has been picked apart by injuries.

"I like, and have liked for years, where he's trying to go with this defense," Jones said in comments published by The Dallas Morning News. "I like if we were going to have somebody take us where we are with our personnel, for better or for worse, where we are in the bye week, what adjustments we needed to make, getting these guys that are coming back healthy, there's nobody in coaching I'd rather have managing that than Monte Kiffin on defense."

As for Romo, whom Jones signed to a $108 million contract before the season, the owner said the Cowboys need more games like the 51-48 loss to Denver. Romo passed for 506 yards and five touchdowns in that game, but both he and the offense have struggled since.

Jones said he is confident Romo can recapture the form he had against the Broncos starting with Sunday's game at the Giants.

"There's an old adage that once you've seen players do it, then you know they can do it," Jones said. "Will they do it again? Or can they do it again? Or how often do they do it again? That's the question. But they can do it.

"And Tony can do what we want him to do. And do what it takes to win this ballgame. That's where I am. I am not concerned. As a matter of fact, we're going into the game, Tony's one of, if not the strength, one of the most important strengths of our entire team."

Top Bottom