What will the league do about the current state of officiating?

son of deadrise

DCC 4Life
I hesitate to be the originator of a thread, but I'm just wondering what others think about an issue I've been reading and hearing about more and more over the last several days, to wit: "As NFL team owners head to Dallas for winter meetings, the league needs to address its officiating meltdown."

Would be great to hear ideas or suggestions. They can't possibly put more things under review. Those things take too long as it is -- they're painful.

It's a fast-paced, chaotic game played at a higher speed than any other sport. What's the answer?

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
The refs sucks.

/thread

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Nothing of substance. If the cacophony gets high enough, they might make cosmetic changes that they'll market as a big deal but won't be impactful.

The real solution, outside of technology changes like lasers, is to allow coaches to challenge penalties. But they won't do that.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Nothing of substance. If the cacophony gets high enough, they might make cosmetic changes that they'll market as a big deal but won't be impactful.

The real solution, outside of technology changes like lasers, is to allow coaches to challenge penalties. But they won't do that.
The ability to challenge game altering penalties has to be implemented at some point of the game. May not be next year, might not be in 5 years but the integrity of the game depends on it in the future IMHO.
There are too many important games being decided on ridiculous holds, pass interference, and illegal contact penalties. The holding calls some of these refs are making are atrocious.

shoop

Semi-contributing member
If they wanted to fix it they would need to:

Make officials full time employees

Give officials a scorecard and hold them accountable for the calls that they make.

Whoever is head of the officiating crew does a Q&A with media and also with each team.

Allow teams to ask for review after a game. Institute penalties for crews that make egregious errors.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Stick their heads in the sand, say things are fine and maybe make some under the radar changes that they publicize to the hilt.

The NFL as an organization, and Goodell in particular, are control freaks that make billions every year, you think the officiating is just something they leave off to the side without worrying about it?

They're getting exactly what they want out of the officiating, whatever that is exactly, the only problem is when enough people start complaining and they get forced into doing something to save face. They're getting close to that point but ultimately I don't think it'll be anything meaningful.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
So is it just me or does officiating feel like it is so much worse than it used to be? Is this just recency bias or nostalgia in my head? I'm sure I have always bitched about officials but it feels like there are way more issues now than there used to be 10, 20 or 30 years ago.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
So is it just me or does officiating feel like it is so much worse than it used to be? Is this just recency bias or nostalgia in my head? I'm sure I have always bitched about officials but it feels like there are way more issues now than there used to be 10, 20 or 30 years ago.
I certainly don’t remember complaining about guys like Red Cashion back in the day.

Bill Shatner

Lock phasers on target
There are a lot more cameras and those cameras are way higher quality than they used to be so we are seeing more of the game and more clearly.

But the obvious choice is full time employee refs instead of fucking lawyers looking for a prestige side gig. Also, every official's kid these days get nepo'ed into the job if they want it.

And much harsher penalties for major fuck ups. Like 6 months of public defending.

How about mandatory retirements for some of these 70 year old fat fucks huffing and puffing on the sidelines?

Genghis Khan

It's probably recency bias.

There were tons of controversial calls back in the day. Including huge, impactful calls.

For example:

"Swann ran right up my back," Barnes told reporters in the locker room. "When I saw the flag, I knew it was on him. I couldn't believe the call. Maybe [Swearingen] needs glasses. Maybe he was for Pittsburgh."

Or in 1981 when the Lions had 12 men on the field for their game winning FG that wasn't called. Had it been called correctly the game goes to OT.

Or the Mike Renfro TD ruled incomplete in the 79 championship game between the Oilers and the Steelers.

Maybe even the immaculate reception.

There are tons of examples.

Genghis Khan

I don't think making officials full time would make one bit of difference.

MLB and the NBA both have full time officials and they're still horrendous.

I also don't think scoring officials would help. The NBA has the last 2 minutes report that they release for close games. Sometimes they actually say an official got a call or 2 wrong but nothing ever seems to happen from it. And a lot of times even the last 2 minutes report doesn't seem accurate. It just seems like window dressing to make it seem like the NBA gives a shit about officiating mistakes.

The NBA claims that "too many" (whatever that means) mistakes gets assigned games reduced but yet Scott Foster and Tony Brothers both work tons of games and they might be the worst officials in sports outside of Angel Hernandez.

And the bottom line is that with this report in place NBA officiating is still terrible.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
It's probably recency bias.

There were tons of controversial calls back in the day. Including huge, impactful calls.

For example:

"Swann ran right up my back," Barnes told reporters in the locker room. "When I saw the flag, I knew it was on him. I couldn't believe the call. Maybe [Swearingen] needs glasses. Maybe he was for Pittsburgh."

Or in 1981 when the Lions had 12 men on the field for their game winning FG that wasn't called. Had it been called correctly the game goes to OT.

Or the Mike Renfro TD ruled incomplete in the 79 championship game between the Oilers and the Steelers.

Maybe even the immaculate reception.

There are tons of examples.
I agree refs made mistakes back then. But they weren't really that often. Now, it's in every damn game.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I think a lot of what we’re seeing missed are plays the refs purposefully don’t call every time. Like cops that could pull people over all the time for speeding in 55 mph zones. Sure they could pull over everyone, but what good would that do? Sure they could raise the speed limit, but that would likely cause even more harm because those limits apply to everyone, good drivers and bad.

Similarly there’s an art to calling NFL penalties so they get the point across but don’t destroy the rhythm or fairness of the game. And like with every artist, refs have good performances and bad ones. The more plays and the more complex each play gets, the harder it is to pull off that balancing act.

They can call DPI or Offensive Holding on every play, so suppose they did? Passing game grinds to a halt, there’s a period of adjustment, and then America starts tuning out a bunch of 16-7 games. They don’t call the penalties, then the same thing happens but for different reasons as teams can hold off pass rushers but no WR’s can get open because they are held and interfered with.

So all they can strive for is to call each game consistently within itself and somewhere uniformly in between. Don’t overbalance calls one way or another. You see makeup calls all the time, and I bet the refs have a running count each game and know when they are up or down.

They also (and way too often) give too much benefit of a doubt to the best teams as determined by record and reputation as a kind of reward for being consistently good (or well liked).

Bottom line, I unfortunately don’t see how it can change. You don’t want lasers and AI tracking every bit of contact for accuracy any more than you want those same lasers and AI tracking every human being on the street or car in the road.

data

Forbes #1
I think a lot of what we’re seeing missed are plays the refs purposefully don’t call every time. Like cops that could pull people over all the time for speeding in 55 mph zones. Sure they could pull over everyone, but what good would that do? Sure they could raise the speed limit, but that would likely cause even more harm because those limits apply to everyone, good drivers and bad.

Similarly there’s an art to calling NFL penalties so they get the point across but don’t destroy the rhythm or fairness of the game. And like with every artist, refs have good performances and bad ones. The more plays and the more complex each play gets, the harder it is to pull off that balancing act.

They can call DPI or Offensive Holding on every play, so suppose they did? Passing game grinds to a halt, there’s a period of adjustment, and then America starts tuning out a bunch of 16-7 games. They don’t call the penalties, then the same thing happens but for different reasons as teams can hold off pass rushers but no WR’s can get open because they are held and interfered with.

So all they can strive for is to call each game consistently within itself and somewhere uniformly in between. Don’t overbalance calls one way or another. You see makeup calls all the time, and I bet the refs have a running count each game and know when they are up or down.

They also (and way too often) give too much benefit of a doubt to the best teams as determined by record and reputation as a kind of reward for being consistently good (or well liked).

Bottom line, I unfortunately don’t see how it can change. You don’t want lasers and AI tracking every bit of contact for accuracy any more than you want those same lasers and AI tracking every human being on the street or car in the road.
It’s worse now because of the increased repertoire that gets called. Back in the day, you’d have your questionable DPI, offensive holding and is it a catch/fumble. Fine. You have three main types of controversial calls. Sometimes these things may occur on a play, usually they don’t.

But today’s game there are so many additional penalties that it’s harder to have one play occur without any of them happening:
QB helmet grazed
QB hit below the knee
Defender landing on the QB
Defender lowered helmet
Defender hits QB sliding
Defensive holding
Hitting defenseless receiver
Horsecollar
Peelback block

With the heightened QB protection in conjunction to rise of running QBs, it further exacerbates the probability that a penalty could be called on any given play.

And then there’s the increase in television cameras capturing (and replaying) more of the off-the-ball action. Decades ago you don’t get much scrutiny/replays over DPI for receivers that weren’t the intended receiver. Nowadays, there’s essentially a camera isolated on every receiver.

Last edited:
Top Bottom