What I'd like to see out of the draft

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hitchens was a pretty good find in the third round, although they probably could have gotten him later. Williams I would say was a worthwhile pick too.
Hitchens was a fourth rounder I believe.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Hitchens in the 4th and Williams in the 3rd have been fine picks for where they were taken.

Yea, everybody hates Williams because he isn't Dez Bryant and can't produce with shit at QB in a simplistic offense as the number 1 WR. He also more or less saved our season in the playoff game against Detroit last year and had a big TD against the Packers in the next game. Romo obviously makes him better than he is but that doesn't change the fact that for how our team is constructed, with an elite QB and WR, that Williams in the 3rd and as our 2nd WR has been just fine.

Hitchens is a borderline starter and quality depth at the least, getting a guy like that in the mid 4th is fine, not great like a Jay Ratliff type of pick, but fine.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Those are good picks. We don't always fail the third round and beyond. We just haven't really aced any picks lately. There aren't any elite type finds for us in a long time.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Our biggest problem has been consistently fucking up the second round. There are always starters available in the second but that's where we draft injured guys and TEs.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Our biggest problem has been consistently fucking up the second round. There are always starters available in the second but that's where we draft injured guys and TEs.
Randy Gregory and Lawrence are both going to be excellent second rounders for us in my opinion but prior to them I agree. It was a bunch of injured LBers and second string TEs.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
Nobody is going to hit on all six-seven guys.

But even a couple of megasteals after round 3 makes or breaks a draft.

We have not had one of those in forever.

For that, I blame the scouting department. I think ours is average to mediocre at best.

When we have not had a solid unexpected hit since Jay Ratliff something is wrong.

I mean, literally, we have had a handful solid contributors picked after the first round in recent years:

2008 - Orlando Scandrick (I don't count Erik Walden, because we didn't even keep him)
2007 - Doug Free

2005 was perfect. Barber and Canty in the 4th, Ratliff in the 7th.
That and our second record picks almost seem to be cursed. Demarcus Lawrence seems to be panning out but Gregory wasn't a major factor his rookie year. Gavin Esconar? Feh. Bruce Carter? He flashed but walked away unchallenged after he became a FA. Love Sean Lee but his durability is still a question mark and was an issue in college. Martellus Bennett? Whatever. Anthony Fasano? Solid but unspectacular and no longer on the team. Kevin Burnett? Feh. Jacob Rogers? Double feh. Al Johnson? Feh. You could basically say the same about the third round as well. You have Demarco Murray(Gone), Terrance Williams, Tyrone Crawford. Jason Hatcher who came into his own after a few years then walked. After that, you have to go back to Jason Witten, the last time Dallas really hit a home run on a third round pick.

I don't really have a priority in this draft because there are multiple positions that warrant a 1st or 2nd round pick but Dallas needs to start replicating the recent first round success in the second and third rounds as well. Those are the rounds that you need to find starters or almost immediate contributors in some form. You don't have to nail every player you select but you really need to be consistently successful in the first three rounds.

Top Bottom