Week 8 Gameday Chatter | Redskins vs. Cowboys| 10/26/2014

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
It's just infuriating. Absolutely infuriating.

It's the 4th quarter/overtime. The defense is as fatigued as it is going to get. You have 2 great examples of him running for 8+ yards a clip from the shotgun backed up against your endzone, and at the 20. The running game has been your bell cow all year. Your injured QB who just took a pain shot to his back and oh by the way wasn't exactly lighting up the universe with his blitz reads anyway staggers on to the field.

And you make the decision that you are going to, yet again, force him to try to carry the team. Even after he is blitzed and fumbles on his first pass attempt. Even after his first pass is almost picked.

It's beyond comprehension. Like willful ignorance.
Flashback to the last 3 years of Garrett's tenure. Hopefully this is the ALS icebucket they need to keep them from f*cking up the formula again. I think even Jerry could see that and demand they go back to what was working. IMO, it was probably Jerry and Stephen bitching about Murray's carries that caused the change in gameplan anyway. Maybe they'll stfu now.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Oooh... but, I was here for the entire game last night too.
Your first post was right after Randle fumbled.

Hey, buzzards start circling before the animal is completely dead. We understand. :art

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I blame Linehan, Callahan and Garrett for not adjusting to the all out blitz they thru at Romo. Bottom line, you bring that many people, someone is open somewhere, especially if the route is a hot read and is 3-4 yards in front of the QB.

Romo and Murray had a couple of those where its was a 3 yard pass and Murray turned it into a 20 yard gain. Why did they go away from that?
Gotta blame Romo too. He's the only one who can change protections at the line.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Gawd. :budd

Jiggyfly

Banned
That is exactly what I said last week and Jiggy argued with me about it.

Outside of the Dez TD in week 3, we are not creating any deep balls via playaction which is very strange given how effective out running game has been.

I don't know why these safeties are not biting.

Play design maybe? I'm not quite sure, but we just aren't getting anything open deep.
They have scored at least 5 touchdowns on play action this year and scored twice last week, what else do you want from play action?

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
They have scored at least 5 touchdowns on play action this year and scored twice last week, what else do you want from play action?
We're talking specifically about deep ball opportunities, and while out playaction had been solid, it is not producing big gains down the field.

Jiggyfly

Banned
I am not as freaked out as everybody from last nights lost, we beat ourselves and IMO it was mainly the missed tackles which kept far too many drives alive.

It was a classic trap game and with all of the missed tackles, dropped passes, turnovers, bad play calling and a Romo injury we were a last second drive away from winning the game.

If we make half of the tackles we usually make we win this game, I am disturbed about the play calling but I think this game will get them back to basics.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I am not as freaked out as everybody from last nights lost, we beat ourselves and IMO it was mainly the missed tackles which kept far too many drives alive.

It was a classic trap game and with all of the missed tackles, dropped passes, turnovers, bad play calling and a Romo injury we were a last second drive away from winning the game.

If we make half of the tackles we usually make we win this game, I am disturbed about the play calling but I think this game will get them back to basics.
Careful. You will begin to sound like me.

Jiggyfly

Banned
We're talking specifically about deep ball opportunities, and while out playaction had been solid, it is not producing big gains down the field.
There have been 3 TD's over 40 yards off play action this year, I think you need to look at the actual stats.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Lost also in all the offensive hand wringing, the defense played pretty poorly last night. And yet there were some things to get excited about with the defense like Melton's sacks, and Crawford got his first finally. McClain came up big several times. But the secondary (aside from Scandrick)......bleh

Jiggyfly

Banned
Lost also in all the offensive hand wringing, the defense played pretty poorly last night. And yet there were some things to get excited about with the defense like Melton's sacks, and Crawford got his first finally. McClain came up big several times. But the secondary (aside from Scandrick)......bleh
I think the defense played pretty well, the missed tackles in the second half killed us.

They played good enough to win but failed to come up with the big stop when needed.

dallen

Senior Tech
I blame Linehan, Callahan and Garrett for not adjusting to the all out blitz they thru at Romo. Bottom line, you bring that many people, someone is open somewhere, especially if the route is a hot read and is 3-4 yards in front of the QB.

Romo and Murray had a couple of those where its was a 3 yard pass and Murray turned it into a 20 yard gain. Why did they go away from that?
That was unforgivable. If they want to blitz that many you have to go max protect or call a draw or call a screen or do anything else besides continue to go 4 and 5 wide and let them bang on your injured QB. We just had no answer

dallen

Senior Tech

It was a big game for the Skins. But it was just one game. It sucked, but I'm not giving up yet

Jiggyfly

Banned
My biggest issue is the total lack of hot reads on every blitz we seemed to be looking long. every team seems to have some kind of hot reads off blitzes, but I don't ever remember doing those very well.

Escobar in the seam seems like something we could do very well off of blitzes, big target on a quick pass, I see teams do this to us on blitzes every week.

GShock

DCC 4Life
I think the defense played pretty well, the missed tackles in the second half killed us.

They played good enough to win but failed to come up with the big stop when needed.
That's just not true. They held them to 17 in regulation, they were in FG range, and Mincey came up with a huge sack to force the punt. That's a pretty big stop.

They only gave up a FG in overtime, which gave the offense a chance to tie or win.

Jiggyfly

Banned
That's just not true. They held them to 17 in regulation, they were in FG range, and Mincey came up with a huge sack to force the punt. That's a pretty big stop.

They only gave up a FG in overtime, which gave the offense a chance to tie or win.
You are right that was a big play, I just remember all of the missed tackles in OT.

Like I said I thought they did a lot of good things but the big plays and missed tackles killed them.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
The Roy Williams-type shoulder block tackles were kind of surprising.

Time to get back to basics.

Top Bottom