Week 7 Gameday Chatter Thread | Cowboys vs Giants | 10/25/2015

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Agreed, and sometimes pressure is better than a sack, like when it causes an interception.

I just don't think the "QB pressure" stat accurately tracks what you are describing.
A pressure is useful if the coverage behind it isn't complete crap.

I am not impressed with how we are doing with that.

6.4: The average yards per play allowed by the Cowboys' defense in the last three games, the worst figure in the league. The fine gents over as ESPN Stats and Info give us more kindling to add to this fire: Dallas is allowing the NFL's highest opponent completion percentage during that span and are the only defense that has not forced a turnover since Week 3. And this has been the case throughout the Jason Garrett era. Here's a disturbing fact provided by ESPN S&I:

On a per-play basis, the Cowboys' defense has been in the bottom half of the league for the past six seasons. Since 2010, only the Falcons have allowed more yards per play (5.84) than the Cowboys (5.81).

Additionally, the Cowboys are allowing points on 43 percent of opponents’ drives this season, sixth worst in the NFL, and are forcing a turnover on 5 percent of drives, second worst in the league (to the Jaguars, who come in at 4 percent). Both are on pace to be the Cowboys’ worst rates in the past 15 seasons.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I am not impressed with how we are doing with that.
Good stuff.

IMO it's all several ways of saying the team lacks a stout interior DL and has struggled to field DL of any quality for long. The linebacking deserves equal criticism.

Every NFL defense must be physical at the right time. It's called situational defense, and it's hurt us since the mid-90's because we always choose light, supposedly fast guys who at best have instincts but rarely the power to match.

Greg Hardy is the polar opposite of a typical Cowboys defender.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
We're really still bitching about the defense?

The only real criticism of the defense in my opinion is the lack of turnovers, because 3 is truly horrendous.

Aside from that what are we blaming them for?

Holding strong against the Patriots for a half but getting torn up after being left out to dry by the offense? Or holding strong against the Saints for most of the game despite missing several key players and then folding after being on the field the entire game, again?

They gave up 13 points and less than 300 yards to the Giants, generally keeping them in check. The Giants offense basically had two real drives against us, one where their backup RB got into a groove and broke a couple nice runs, and the ~90 yard drive following a Cassel pick, most of which was nothing more than a ridiculous one handed catch by Randle.

Fact of the matter is the defense is doing just fine, and if we had Romo and Dez, and presumably leads in games, I'd imagine we'd all be very comfortable with what the defense is doing. I also bet we'd have a few more turnovers as well, although 3 is miserable either way.

Jiggyfly

Banned
So [MENTION=63]Jiggyfly[/MENTION], how do you feel about my hypothesis that McFadden is a better RB than Randle?
Considering Randle was averaging 12 yards a carry before he got hurt I would not be basing this game on being the definitive answer.

With that said McFadden did show a lot of power which was a difference as the game went on but he also missed some holes, he could have scored twice on the their 1st drive if he had better vision.

Also my initial point still stands McFadden had done nothing to show he deserved the starting position when you 1st made that proclamation, a proclamation you could not even give a good reason for.

I don't really care who starts but the running success in this game was due to better blocking and play calling moreso than the difference in runners.

Jiggyfly

Banned
I don't remember Lawrence and Crawford showing up like that, but they also could be credited with pressures because Eli was getting away from Hardy's side.

If this was so then Hardy would have been given the pressure.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I doubt those pressures were from the Giants game. More than likely, a season total.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
I doubt those pressures were from the Giants game. More than likely, a season total.
Theres something to that, the total is close to 50, I don't remember the giants having tht many pass plays...

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Yeah, good point. You're probably right.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
We're really still bitching about the defense?
Situational defense.

Like when you have the opponent pinned at the 1 yard line-- a chance to destroy them with a safety or defensive score. You must at least get a three and out since the full playbook is not open and give your offense the ball back, maybe exactly where they had it.

Instead its a gut-wrenching scoring drive. Call it a fluke if you like, but Eli Manning has done that to Dallas since the 2007 playoffs with :47 left to play in the first half.

Overall they played well enough, but our defense doesn't have the will to bury the other team or win the game when they have the chance.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Situational defense.

Like when you have the opponent pinned at the 1 yard line-- a chance to destroy them with a safety or defensive score. You must at least get a three and out since the full playbook is not open and give your offense the ball back, maybe exactly where they had it.

Instead its a gut-wrenching scoring drive. Call it a fluke if you like, but Eli Manning has done that to Dallas since the 2007 playoffs with :47 left to play in the first half.

Overall they played well enough, but our defense doesn't have the will to bury the other team or win the game when they have the chance.
Exactly.

Top Bottom