Week 6 Thursday Game Day Chatter | Eagles at Panthers | 10-12-2017

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I think Wentz has more confidence in throwing into tight windows. Dak is so careful to avoid the turnover, almost to a fault.

Secondly, Wentz has simplified reads although it's been more downfield this year; Coaches went full Romo offense on Dak this year leading to more miscommunication/sloppiness. Third, Dak has to deal with our FO/clusterfuck of a circus.

Overall, though, I still think Wentz is the better QB.
Maybe so.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Offensive coordinators are considered coaches too, right?
Yes, but I've been told it's the head coach's job to overrule bad decisions by coordinators.

It's besides the point, which is, this happens everywhere on a weekly basis.

We just don't document it regularly cause it's not the Cowboys. Passing on short yardage, going empty backfield, these are not "dumb" things limited to the coaches in Dallas. They are useful things that all coaches do.

A salient, intelligent critique would be that we use them too much, but that argument would require some work in actually trying to ascertain whether we do it more often, and have less success because of that.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Yes, but I've been told it's the head coach's job to overrule bad decisions by coordinators.

It's besides the point, which is, this happens everywhere on a weekly basis.

We just don't document it regularly cause it's not the Cowboys. Passing on short yardage, going empty backfield, these are not "dumb" things limited to the coaches in Dallas. They are useful things that all coaches do.

A salient, intelligent critique would be that we use them too much, but that argument would require some work in actually trying to ascertain whether we do it more often, and have less success because of that.
Just because it happens outside of Dallas doesn't make it right. DCC posters have made plenty of comments about how NFL coaches in general overthink things entirely too. There's genius in simplicity. The great coaches like Belichick and Saban understand this. Average to below average coaches struggle with it.

3rd and half a yard....Belichick is dialing up a nice simple QB sneak for Brady in most cases, just to keep the chains moving. But there are a lot of bad coaches out there who decide to get cute in those situations, and decide that 4 wide formations, jet sweeps, etc. are the way to go.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Fuck the Panthers.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Just because it happens outside of Dallas doesn't make it right. DCC posters have made plenty of comments about how NFL coaches in general overthink things entirely too. There's genius in simplicity. The great coaches like Belichick and Saban understand this. Average to below average coaches struggle with it.
Actually, it kind of does make it right. Passing on third and short is a legit approach in many situations, and this is verified by the fact that just about everyone does it.

Including Belichick.

3rd and half a yard....Belichick is dialing up a nice simple QB sneak for Brady in most cases, just to keep the chains moving. But there are a lot of bad coaches out there who decide to get cute in those situations, and decide that 4 wide formations, jet sweeps, etc. are the way to go.
Some times those things are the way to go. If you ran it up the gut every time, you'd be stopped every time. The defense would sell out to stop it.

My problem is the blanket critique every time we pass on third and short and it's incomplete. Here comes Texas Ace again to tell us it was a dumb idea!

No, it wasn't, necessarily.

The complainers offer no insight into why a call that didn't work out was bad, other than tired and false tropes about smash mouth football, playing to our strengths, etc, oh, and then when that doesn't work, they say we aren't getting creative enough moving Bryant around and doing different things.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Playing to our strength is a tired excuse?

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I'd be appalled, but as an Eagles fan, he probably really deserved it. Wouldn't shock me if the Panther fan had stuff poured on him and dumped on him all game.

Top Bottom