Week 4 Thursday Night Chatter | Vikings at Rams | 09-27-18

BipolarFuk

Demoted
Goff with 5 TD passes.

Who said Dak was part Goff again?

I'd settle for 2.5 per game.

p1_

DCC 4Life
I hope dickhead Jer and goof son were watching and that it made them sick to their stomachs

midswat

... soon
Just keep looking at it. It’ll show up..... soon.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Goff in his 3rd year looking like Montana.

Dak in his 3rd year looking like Jerry Lewis.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I hope dickhead Jer and goof son were watching and that it made them sick to their stomachs
Goff was definitely my favorite QB in that draft. McVay has been awesome for him though. A coach has such an impact on a QBs development. If they still had Fisher I wonder how bad he would look right now.

GShock

DCC 4Life
Goff was definitely my favorite QB in that draft. McVay has been awesome for him though. A coach has such an impact on a QBs development. If they still had Fisher I wonder how bad he would look right now.
Terrible, no doubt. Good coaching can elevate mediocre talent (see Parcells with Quincy, Pederson with Foles, Belichick with Cassel). Talent can overcome mediocre coaching (Cowboys with Switzer, Manning taking Jim Caldwell to the Super Bowl and winning one with Kubiak). But Dak is not talented enough to overcome Garrett. And Garrett is not maximizing Dak's talent.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I sincerely hope no one is again trying to suggest that the only difference between Dak and Goff is coaching.

Cause that's just dead wrong.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Can we not hear about this ever again no matter which side you are on? Time to let it die.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
As someone else mentioned, Gurley and Goff were looked at as busts just 2 years ago under Fisher, now they're MVP candidates. Their OL is full of journeymen JAG's and the only guy who could be considered an elite talent is Whitworth at 35, yet their OL looks like one of the best in the league.

Definitely not coaching or offensive strategy though.

Dak never had the natural arm talent that Goff does but if he played under a coach like McVay he'd probably look way more like Russell Wilson than this shell of a player that we see today. Further, if Dak were on the Rams instead of Goff (maybe not current broken Dak but if you go back in time and put 2017, going into his 2nd season Dak under McVay) I'm sure they'd still be a top team in the NFC with a similar record.

That's not really a stamp of approval on Dak so much as it is that I believe McVay could make the offense look good with any reasonably talented QB. I don't think you'd see much if any drop off if you gave him someone like Cousins, Dalton or even a Tannehill type.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I think people are underrating Goff. He needed a year coming from a spread system, and that happened to be spent under Fisher. McVay helps of course, but Goff would have looked very good and much improved regardless. No coach can make a player throw as easily and accurately as he's done for the last year or so.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
It's funny when you see that McVay and Garrett got their starts in coaching about the same time.

Garrett had two years of coaching QBs then he was hired on as our OC, taking over as HC within a couple years.

McVay started as an assistant WR coach, then an assistant TE coach, soon earning the TE coach title and held that for a few years before being promoted to OC.

One came along gradually and seems to have his own philosophy, the other was rushed before he was ready and doesn't know his ass from a hole in the ground. Sadly, their QBs seem to be following their leads.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I think people are underrating Goff. He needed a year coming from a spread system, and that happened to be spent under Fisher. McVay helps of course, but Goff would have looked very good and much improved regardless. No coach can make a player throw as easily and accurately as he's done for the last year or so.
I don't mean to imply that Goff would be a terrible QB without McVay, he is definitely a more naturally talented passer than Dak, my point is that circumstances play a massive role in dictating how QB's perform and especially develop and its no more evident than with Goff. Heck, Aikman said as much last night when he said that he thinks the only difference between Wentz being considered the better player last year was because he had the benefit of starting off with Pederson while Goff languished for a year under Fisher/whoever their OC was.

Part of Goff's year 1 to year 2 jump is normal progression, but I'd say the majority of it was the change in offensive scheme/philosophy.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member

DLK150

DCC 4Life
Dear god, he makes my brain hurt when he issues a statement. The rationale you state is partly based on who Tavon Austin is with? Seriously? Have you not seen your starter looking like he couldn't take the reins at Appalachian State and be successful?

:dunce

Top Bottom