Week 3 Preseason Chatter Thread - 8/22/13-8/23/13

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I thought that game was in Houston? I had some guy at work selling tickets to the game, so you're telling me he was going to drive up to Dallas for the 4th preseason game?

:laff

I had no idea that game was being played in Dallas.
:lol

And I wasn't thinking either arguing with you about it.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Minnesota does not look like a playoff team.

And Ponder...please.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Very impressive drive by Kaepernick.

Did it all with his arm, too.

1bigfan13

Staff member
Also, Joe Staley pretty much owned Jared Allen that entire drive.

1bigfan13

Staff member
Lavelle Hawkins isn't too bright. Great return but two taunting penalties on the same play.

That takes some skill.

The pointing the ball at the opponent penalty was weak sauce but he's been in the league long enough to know that taking off your helmet after a score will draw a penalty.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Frederick got beat badly by a DT early in the 3rd.

Hopefully an aberration.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I just watched the first half last night, the OL wasn't great by any means but I think once Leary gets back it will still be better than it was last year, even if it's just average as a whole. Frederick looked solid once again, of course Bernadeau, Free and Parnell were a bit leaky but they did ok considering Bernadeau and Free were getting shuffled around.

You can really tell that the defense is buying in to what Marinelli/Kiffin are preaching. That Church fumble was straight Chicago style with the other DB (I think Scandrick or Allen) holding up the WR a bit while the other defenders fly to the ball. I haven't seen our defense gang-tackle and fly around like this in a while. I think we're going to give up yards through the air here and there because there are pockets of space when you're playing zone, and I don't fully trust our run D even though it looked really good last night, but we're definitely going to fly around and force turnovers more than we have in years.

I'm pleasently surprised with the safeties too, they aren't elite obviously but so far they look solid and like they won't be liabilities. Our pass rush did not look particularly good though, you could see Ware and Hatcher doing a little something but we need Spencer back for sure. Even without Ratliff I think we can get away with Hayden as long as we have those 3 rolling.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I was never worried about Church, I saw enough from him last year that I believed he was coming along quite well as a pretty decent "in the box" safety. He's not a center fielder, but even as a strong safety he wasn't going to be getting Roy Williams burned.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I was never worried about Church, I saw enough from him last year that I believed he was coming along quite well as a pretty decent "in the box" safety. He's not a center fielder, but even as a strong safety he wasn't going to be getting Roy Williams burned.
Agreed, it was just a matter of him being healthy or not, he's not elite at all but I think he's one of those guys who you can start and get away with when you say you can't have steak on every plate. He's decent in coverage, is somewhat physical and willing to stick his nose in there.

Ideally you'd like to have him be your 2nd best starting safety but there's always our 2014 first rounder.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Well if you watched the game you could have answered your own question, yes it was an aberration as was the play Sturm highlighted.
And "hopefully" it stays that way.

The Bernadeau thing is not an aberration, it may have only happened to him once this particular game, but he is the victim of being abused over and over again.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I'm thinking after that we can go CB in the 2nd, I'm not sure if I can trust Webb in the nickel and we have to cut Scandrick to save money. Then RB in the 3rd after that, not sure about re-signing Murray either.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ideally you'd like to have him be your 2nd best starting safety but there's always our 2014 first rounder.
I actually think the ceiling with Wilcox is really high. You see flashes of it right now but given some time I think he could be a legit starter and play maker in this defense.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I actually think the ceiling with Wilcox is really high. You see flashes of it right now but given some time I think he could be a legit starter and play maker in this defense.
Better safe than sorry, might as well just take a safety with that 2014 1st.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Better safe than sorry, might as well just take a safety with that 2014 1st.
:lol

Probably best to just take a corner in the first round. You can never have too many from what I have heard experts say. Plus you can always move one to safety in a pinch. Probably why they are the most important position on defense.

Top Bottom