Week 2 Preseason Chatter Thread

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
They called pass interference on Cassius Vaughn just there? Really?

I just saw tight coverage and a great play when he stole the ball from Agholor.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Whoa!

The Ravens actually covered the RB/WR in the flat for a change. Props.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
I never wanted to bang an NFL head linesman until tonight

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
Look at Angry Piggy waltzing on the sidelines like a fat smug prick.

God, I hate the Eagles so effing bad. And he makes it a lot easier.

Seems to me he is doing that Spurrier did with the Redskins. All kinds of shock and awe in the preseason.
But they've gone 10-6 two years in a row, set a team record for points in 2014 and on one's seemed to slow down their "gimmicky" Mickey Mouse offense. Spurrier could only dream of equaling that.

D

Deuce

Fly, Tebow, Fly

as an aside, I don't think my heart could take Josh Reese making the Eagles and Terrence Plummer making the Redskins rosters.

townsend

Banned
But they've gone 10-6 two years in a row, set a team record for points in 2014 and on one's seemed to slow down their "gimmicky" Mickey Mouse offense. Spurrier could only dream of equaling that.
They had a well built team though. Reid left that team stacked. Spurrier had Patrick fucking Ramsey.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
They had a well built team though. Reid left that team stacked. Spurrier had Patrick fucking Ramsey.
He's done it with Nick Foles and Mark Sanchez, though. That's impressive any way you slice it.

townsend

Banned
He's done it with Nick Foles and Mark Sanchez, though. That's impressive any way you slice it.
What's your criticism of Nick Foles? That he had a mediocre rookie year? He obviously played well in 2013. Am I to believe that Chip is such a sooper genius that he can produce 20 something TDs and like 3 Ints out of scrap?It's not like he's Tim Tebow.

Sanchez was always good enough to win with a team around him, Rex made it to two AFC championships with Sanchez.

So seeing as how he helped choke away a division that was all but wrapped up, I can't say that 10-6 and sitting at home in January is any kind of acheivement with what was a pretty good team.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
And he wasn't able to do it with Vick or Barkley, so there's that. Even Sanchez struggled at times last year, particularly with turnovers.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
And he wasn't able to do it with Vick or Barkley, so there's that. Even Sanchez struggled at times last year, particularly with turnovers.
I hate Chip Kelly and his arrogance as much as the next guy but his system has shown the ability to win with trash QBs. There are many teams like the Browns who would absolutely kill to be able to go 10-6 with QBs that basically anyone could have had.

With that being said I think Kelly's system is going to perennially be good but not good enough to win championships. I just don't think you'll beat top teams consistently doing the things he does.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Eagles think “dirty” Terrell Suggs tried to hurt Sam Bradford

Posted by Michael David Smith on August 23, 2015, 6:52 AM EDT

Eagles quarterback Sam Bradford saw his first game action in a year on Saturday when he faced the Ravens, and it didn’t take long for Bradford to receive a brutal hit to his surgically repaired knee.

Ravens linebacker Terrell Suggs was penalized for hitting Bradford in the knee, and afterward the Eagles ripped him for it.

“He hit him low and tried to hit him around his knees,” Eagles left tackle Jason Peters said. “He’s that type of player who is dirty and will take shots on the quarterback. . . . He’s trying to take a cheap shot at the quarterback. I’m pretty sure he planned it. We practiced against them all week. I’m pretty sure he was thinking about it.”

Bradford confirmed that he thought Suggs was intentionally going at his injured knee, and he had words with Suggs about it.

“I was a little upset,” Bradford said. “I’m not sure I could probably repeat what I said to him. But it’s part of the game and I’m sure it’s not the last time that something like that’s going to happen this year. But hopefully it doesn’t.”

Suggs, however, says the Eagles’ use of the read-option means that the quarterback is a runner and can be hit like a runner.

“When you run the read-option, you have to know the rules,” Suggs said. “If you want to run the read-option with your starting quarterback that’s had two knee surgeries, that’s on you. That’s not my responsibility to update you on the rule. I could’ve hit him harder on that. I didn’t. I eased up.”

Suggs is right that quarterbacks can be hit like runners when they’re running the ball on read-option plays, and the penalty was confusing because the referee announced the penalty as “roughing the passer” even though it wasn’t on a passing play — Suggs hit Bradford after Bradford handed off to Darren Sproles. Roughing the passer was clearly the wrong call, but Suggs still could have been flagged for unnecessary roughness. The league office will likely have more to say about the hit this week.

Genghis Khan

I hate Chip Kelly and his arrogance as much as the next guy but his system has shown the ability to win with trash QBs. There are many teams like the Browns who would absolutely kill to be able to go 10-6 with QBs that basically anyone could have had.

With that being said I think Kelly's system is going to perennially be good but not good enough to win championships. I just don't think you'll beat top teams consistently doing the things he does.
Andy Reid made Koy Detmer, Ty Detmer, AJ Feely, Kevin Kolb, and an absolutely done Jeff Garcia look good. That was a QB friendly system.

Foles struggled last season, as did Sanchez. Vick struggled the previous year, and Barkley looked like complete garbage. They run 5 billion plays so some of the raw numbers are inflated, but as a QB friendly system Kelly's offense is overrated.

Genghis Khan

Eagles think “dirty” Terrell Suggs tried to hurt Sam Bradford

Posted by Michael David Smith on August 23, 2015, 6:52 AM EDT

Eagles quarterback Sam Bradford saw his first game action in a year on Saturday when he faced the Ravens, and it didn’t take long for Bradford to receive a brutal hit to his surgically repaired knee.

Ravens linebacker Terrell Suggs was penalized for hitting Bradford in the knee, and afterward the Eagles ripped him for it.

“He hit him low and tried to hit him around his knees,” Eagles left tackle Jason Peters said. “He’s that type of player who is dirty and will take shots on the quarterback. . . . He’s trying to take a cheap shot at the quarterback. I’m pretty sure he planned it. We practiced against them all week. I’m pretty sure he was thinking about it.”

Bradford confirmed that he thought Suggs was intentionally going at his injured knee, and he had words with Suggs about it.

“I was a little upset,” Bradford said. “I’m not sure I could probably repeat what I said to him. But it’s part of the game and I’m sure it’s not the last time that something like that’s going to happen this year. But hopefully it doesn’t.”

Suggs, however, says the Eagles’ use of the read-option means that the quarterback is a runner and can be hit like a runner.

“When you run the read-option, you have to know the rules,” Suggs said. “If you want to run the read-option with your starting quarterback that’s had two knee surgeries, that’s on you. That’s not my responsibility to update you on the rule. I could’ve hit him harder on that. I didn’t. I eased up.”

Suggs is right that quarterbacks can be hit like runners when they’re running the ball on read-option plays, and the penalty was confusing because the referee announced the penalty as “roughing the passer” even though it wasn’t on a passing play — Suggs hit Bradford after Bradford handed off to Darren Sproles. Roughing the passer was clearly the wrong call, but Suggs still could have been flagged for unnecessary roughness. The league office will likely have more to say about the hit this week.
What a joke. Nothing wrong with the hit.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
What's your criticism of Nick Foles? That he had a mediocre rookie year? He obviously played well in 2013. Am I to believe that Chip is such a sooper genius that he can produce 20 something TDs and like 3 Ints out of scrap?It's not like he's Tim Tebow.

Sanchez was always good enough to win with a team around him, Rex made it to two AFC championships with Sanchez.

So seeing as how he helped choke away a division that was all but wrapped up, I can't say that 10-6 and sitting at home in January is any kind of acheivement with what was a pretty good team.
So you're saying Sanchez is actually good? K.

And no, I don't think Foles is anything special. He's a decent player who had one great year that I doubt he ever duplicates.

I don't get the Kelly hate, other than obviously the team he coaches. I was a big-time doubter of his when he came into the league, thinking he was mainly just another spread college coach who out-talented teams, but he's been a lot better than that so far.

Of course he hasn't revolutionized football and he needs talent to win, but that's any coach.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Violence is a big part of nipping the read-option in the bud. Suggs is right, though the NFL might just change the rule again to protect QB's who run.

Top Bottom