We Lose Nothing Next Year

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
This is premature but it's the bye week so whatever.

Over the past 10 years anytime we've had a successful season there's usually been some sort of cataclysmic event the next year that torpedoes the year after there were high expectations following the previous season. After 2009, Romo went out for the year in 2010. After 2014 Romo again got hurt in 2015 and missed the majority of the season. After 2016 Elliott got suspended in 2017 for 6 games and that largely sunk our playoff hopes. After 2018 Garrett lost the team in 2019 and they basically quit on him.

We haven't made the playoffs in back to back seasons in 15 years, and the Dak injury likely would've been enough to sink us again similar to those other seasons. Now that McCarthy (and Quinn) seem to have navigated that and shown the ability to finally string together relatively successful seasons, I've been thinking about what next year looks like in the context of the rest of the conference.

Going into 2023 Rodgers will be a year older, still probably won't have much of anything at WR and for all we know will be leading a QAnon renaissance instead of playing in the NFL. Brady will almost certainly be retired and best known for dating some supermodel half his age. The Rams still don't have any draft picks or real cap space to improve their roster and Donald will be another year older. The Eagles will lose about 5 key starters and after about another 150 carries Hurts will be less effective in his role as a pseudo-power back. The 49ers will be starting Lance at QB and will likely be demonstrably worse than they are with Garoppolo, and the Vikings will still be starting Cousins as pretty much the same 10ish win team they've been the entire time he's been there.

There are no clear young up and coming teams. Even when the Bengals won 4 games or whatever in Burrow's rookie season you could sense that he was going to be good, there isn't really anybody like that in the NFC.

Justin Fields? Daniel Jones? Please.

Kyler Murray is a headcase and significantly overpaid.

Geno Smith? Marcus Mariota? Lol.

So then you have us, with arguably the best QB in the conference on any given day (no worse than 3rd or 4th) and a defense that is starting to look pretty loaded with ascending talent even beyond Parsons/Diggs (Williams, Wilson, Armstrong, Clark, Osa, Bland).

We lose basically nothing in free agency next year with only Schultz, Pollard, McGovern, Wilson, Brown, LVE and Barr as notable UFA's. Most of those guys will be easily re-signed if the organization so chooses (Pollard, Wilson, Brown, the LB's) and/or are easily replaceable (Schultz, McGovern, also the LB's).

So the long and short of what I'm trying to say is, now that we have a coaching staff who can seemingly carry over success from one season to the next, the only thing keeping us from going into 2023 as arguably the top contender in the NFC is retaining Quinn.

Now if only Stephen could dig a few pennies out of the couch cushions to sign someone like Dre'Mont Jones in free agency.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
It is fun thinking ahead to who might be good and who won't.

I think you've hit them all... I thought Murray would be good, but I guess all he cared about was getting paid. I do think Jones can be okay. I might think more of Fields than you do, though. He's not there now and may never get there, but I do think he has potential to be pretty dangerous one day.

I wonder if Lance ever does anything with more seasoning.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
It is fun thinking ahead to who might be good and who won't.

I think you've hit them all... I thought Murray would be good, but I guess all he cared about was getting paid. I do think Jones can be okay. I might think more of Fields than you do, though. He's not there now and may never get there, but I do think he has potential to be pretty dangerous one day.

I wonder if Lance ever does anything with more seasoning.
I always wonder if a guy like Fields had gone to a team like the Ravens would things be different? The guy is really a dynamic runner. But the Bears just seem to have no real plan for him. Maybe they are getting there but ultimately he will never be better than a mediocre passer. It's his legs that are special.

Last edited:

data

Forbes #1
You forgot about the refs, but when the refs conspire against us in 2023, Dan Quinn will command ‘not another yard’

• Props
Reactions: p1_

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Never saw that movie, either. :tippytoe

data

Forbes #1
Never saw that movie, either. :tippytoe
It’s tragic. After the events of this season, Defensive Coordinator leaves football to become an oil driller, but saves Earth from an asteroid. Head coach moves on to become a corrupt police officer in Los Angeles but redeemed himself with an Academy Award.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
This is premature but it's the bye week so whatever.

Over the past 10 years anytime we've had a successful season there's usually been some sort of cataclysmic event the next year that torpedoes the year after there were high expectations following the previous season. After 2009, Romo went out for the year in 2010. After 2014 Romo again got hurt in 2015 and missed the majority of the season. After 2016 Elliott got suspended in 2017 for 6 games and that largely sunk our playoff hopes. After 2018 Garrett lost the team in 2019 and they basically quit on him.

We haven't made the playoffs in back to back seasons in 15 years, and the Dak injury likely would've been enough to sink us again similar to those other seasons. Now that McCarthy (and Quinn) seem to have navigated that and shown the ability to finally string together relatively successful seasons, I've been thinking about what next year looks like in the context of the rest of the conference.

Going into 2023 Rodgers will be a year older, still probably won't have much of anything at WR and for all we know will be leading a QAnon renaissance instead of playing in the NFL. Brady will almost certainly be retired and best known for dating some supermodel half his age. The Rams still don't have any draft picks or real cap space to improve their roster and Donald will be another year older. The Eagles will lose about 5 key starters and after about another 150 carries Hurts will be less effective in his role as a pseudo-power back. The 49ers will be starting Lance at QB and will likely be demonstrably worse than they are with Garoppolo, and the Vikings will still be starting Cousins as pretty much the same 10ish win team they've been the entire time he's been there.

There are no clear young up and coming teams. Even when the Bengals won 4 games or whatever in Burrow's rookie season you could sense that he was going to be good, there isn't really anybody like that in the NFC.

Justin Fields? Daniel Jones? Please.

Kyler Murray is a headcase and significantly overpaid.

Geno Smith? Marcus Mariota? Lol.

So then you have us, with arguably the best QB in the conference on any given day (no worse than 3rd or 4th) and a defense that is starting to look pretty loaded with ascending talent even beyond Parsons/Diggs (Williams, Wilson, Armstrong, Clark, Osa, Bland).

We lose basically nothing in free agency next year with only Schultz, Pollard, McGovern, Wilson, Brown, LVE and Barr as notable UFA's. Most of those guys will be easily re-signed if the organization so chooses (Pollard, Wilson, Brown, the LB's) and/or are easily replaceable (Schultz, McGovern, also the LB's).

So the long and short of what I'm trying to say is, now that we have a coaching staff who can seemingly carry over success from one season to the next, the only thing keeping us from going into 2023 as arguably the top contender in the NFC is retaining Quinn.

Now if only Stephen could dig a few pennies out of the couch cushions to sign someone like Dre'Mont Jones in free agency.
Unless the Packers drastically improve I could see Rodgers walking away. The rest of the scenario I agree with-however I just don’t see the Cowboys ever winning anything major….Jerry is too risk adverse. He and Stephen have gone into this shell about not spending money, and crying about the cap.

They simply refuse to reliably sign difference makers, and they tend to give away difference makers and hang on to players they shouldn’t. The roster is good, but it’s not good enough to overcome the few weak links it has in order to win a SB.

p1_

DCC 4Life
post more, seriously.

Top Bottom