We’re starting to see some positive comments about defensive tackle Trysten Hill

p1_

DCC 4Life
The second-year Cowboys defensive tackle needs to have a big season.
By RJ Ochoa

It seems like most Dallas Cowboys fans are pleased with the overall state of their roster. To be frank, it is difficult not to be given what the organization has done over the course of the last few months.

Minds around the National Football League all believe the Cowboys to be contenders this season and a lot of it obviously has to do with the players on their team. Football is a game of attrition, though, and depth will undoubtedly be tested. In fact it already has been for Dallas as they lost Gerald McCoy a week ago.

McCoy’s loss means that younger defensive tackles are going to have to step up and contribute more than expected. One of those names is Trysten Hill which has different people feeling a variety of ways.
Stephen Jones is pretty confident in Trysten Hill these days

One person the Cowboys want to help mitigate the loss of Gerald McCoy is unquestionably second-year defensive tackle Trysten Hill. The former UCF product did not have a stellar rookie season with the Cowboys and his attitude is one that was questioned throughout the campaign.

Stephen Jones spoke Monday on 105.3 The Fan and mentioned Hill when talking about players that are showing up strong so far in camp. He did hint at things not being supremely easy for Hill under former defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli.

“Well I’ll put Leighton in that same deal with Jaylon. Obviously they had that, they’ve kind of, if you would the sophomore, didn’t quite play as well as they did the year before, but they’ve both come back and really making plays and have us really fired up. Both Leighton and Jaylon. And you know the other one that has really, which we need more than ever now, but he’s certainly answered the bell, is Trysten Hill. Has really shown up in practice. Consistent. And just doing a great job for us. Sometimes it’s just hard on rookies. What they have to go through to get on the field, some are able to get it done and digest it and do it. Rod can give ‘em some tough love and sometimes some players don’t respond as well to the tough love. I know he was inactive some and was limited on his play time when he was active, but boy he has really come along, and certainly with Gerald going down has really stepped into that role and so far has just been, put one really good practice after the other the last few days.”

Stephen also highlighted Leighton Vander Esch, but nobody is shocked by him having success. The facts are that Hill performing well is likely going to be a “I’ll believe it when I see it” sort of thing for a lot of fans.

Whether or not Hill develops into the type of player the previous coaching staff thought he could be remains to be seen, but for now there is support for him in the building. Let’s hope that helps in any way that it can.

Shiningstar

DCC 4Life
are we? or does the media want to play narrative?

the field will determine the status. it is the ultimate sorter

DontCryWolfe

DCC 4Life
Part of me wants this guy to go balls out moreso the reaction from this board than the results on the field.

Dont get me wrong, I think he sucks too, but the prospect of reading booze comment “HILL BIZNATCH!!!” in a game day thread is tantalizing.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
If booze ever homers out, the apocalypse will not be far behind.

• Props
Reactions: p1_

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sounds like a full on propaganda effort.
I don't know if it's full on propaganda. The guy might be trying hard right now. But I have no faith he won't fall back into his lazy ass ways. And I never thought he was anything special as a physical talent in the first place.

Stasheroo

DCC 4Life
I've heard it coming from a lot of sources, but i will remain skeptical until I see it on the field, certainly based on how terrible his rookie season was. But the fact is, with McCoy being gone, the team desperately needs Hill to 'get it' and step up this year.

In my opinion, his problems are of the mental variety, not physical. He might move fast on the field, but half the time he's had no idea where he needed to move fast. No clue of reading and reacting to the actual play, a dog chasing cars on the field with no plan.

The team needs him to play a considerable role this year, and to stop this current cycle of getting little to no contributions from drafted players for two to three years. That's the course that 2019's top two draft picks are currently on.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Too much of a coincidence that there’s suddenly buzz about Hill.

It went from how well he “asks questions” to all of a sudden talk about his play in practice.

Really sounds like spin to keep up fan confidence in the position.

I get it.

Thing is we do have depth, we just don’t have a legit starting 3T

Shiningstar

DCC 4Life
Too much of a coincidence that there’s suddenly buzz about Hill.

It went from how well he “asks questions” to all of a sudden talk about his play in practice.

Really sounds like spin to keep up fan confidence in the position.

I get it.

Thing is we do have depth, we just don’t have a legit starting 3T

this is going to be where coaching makes the difference. Usually with Garrett it was "we re done guys, unless i have steak at every position, we cant do much"

If MM and crew can get around and there is going to be positions on teams that you have to do that with, teams do do it and are successful, so lets see if our coaches can work with it. you arent getting steak at every position, sometimes you gotta roll and make do.

I say lets see what the coaches got.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
We will see.

Top Bottom