Watkins: The Cowboys think Randy Gregory is worth the risk

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
The Cowboys think Randy Gregory is worth the risk
By Calvin Watkins Aug 13, 2018

OXNARD, Calif. —​ From the moment the Cowboys​ selected defensive end Randy Gregory in the second round​​ of the 2015 draft they knew.

Gregory, 25, had issues going back to college, where he failed two drug tests at Nebraska and another one at the National Scouting Combine, which moved his stock from a mid-first-round pick to second- or third-rounder.

The Cowboys understood this and rolled the dice. This is what they do. They take chances on troubled souls. They drafted Michael Irvin. They signed Terrell Owens. They drafted Quincy Carter. They signed Alonzo Spellman. They traded for Pacman Jones. They signed Tank Johnson. They signed Greg Hardy.

Jerry Jones’ life is based on risk. He risked it all to buy the Cowboys in 1989. He fired legendary coach Tom Landry and took criticism for it. He challenged the NFL establishment and now he is the NFL establishment.

Owners come to him when they need something done. Just ask Stan Kroenke, the owner of the Los Angeles Rams.

When you think of the Cowboys, risk comes to mind. Gregory, a troubled but talented player, fits into their M.O.

The Cowboys felt Gregory was a good kid who needed help. But two factors pushed him away from this, according to a source with knowledge of the situation.

One of Jason Garrett’s biggest mantras since taking over as coach in 2011 is finding “the right kind of guys.” During his Monday morning news conference, Garrett talked about not only a support system outside the locker room for Gregory, but one inside the locker room. The Cowboys believe men like Sean Lee, Tyrone Crawford, Jeff Heath, Dak Prescott, Chidobe Awuzie and Jaylon Smith are leaders. These are men who can help guide Gregory to the right path.

In Gregory’s rookie season, the path was blocked by Hardy. According to a source, the defensive end was a negative influence on Gregory. So as the second-rounder dealt with drug and mental problems, he also received bad advice in the locker room from Hardy, who was dealing with his own issues.

With that influence, it was easy for Gregory to fail his first NFL drug test, which led to his suspension. The Cowboys wanted Gregory in their own player development program, but a source said the NFL stepped in and placed Gregory in the league’s program.

Another failed test and Gregory was done for the 2017 season. This had to be the lowest point.

“I can’t give you an exact date; there was a couple of times in the last two years and maybe last year where I had a lot going on in my personal life,” Gregory said in his first chat with reporters on Monday. “I had a lot going on back at home with my parents, things with the team obviously, the drug program. Just everything career-wise, and there was a lot I had going on mentally and physically. Just trying to get myself back to baseline so I can continue on in my path.”

Last year, when Gregory began his comeback from the suspension, the Cowboys insisted he enter their own development program. The league agreed and the results were positive. Gregory met with NFL commissioner Roger Goodell on the back end of his reinstatement plans and was impressed.

“The NFL treats these guys as bad guys,” Gregory’s agent Mike Ornstein said. “This is a disease. This is the same thing with David Irving. It’s the same deal. Josh Gordon, all these guys. Once the league starts looking at it as a disease and not a ‘bad guy’ thing then we will have a better chance. I have been very involved with Roger on this. And trying to explain it to him. He had to be the ultimate guy to bring him back. He met with him because I asked him to. He was able to get him back into the league.”

Gregory was reinstated in late July and just got involved in his first padded practice on Sunday. He might not be ready to play in a game until the Cowboys face Arizona on Aug. 26.

Gregory didn’t believe this was possible because he thought his career was over. Like anything else, life is a process. Sometimes a long one. Gregory won’t say if he has bipolar disorder or what troubles him, but he understands this might be his last chance.

A real last chance from a franchise designed to take risks.

“I think they have diagnosed me with a lot of things at this point,” Gregory said. “I can’t say what I believe what is right and what is wrong. I do trust a doctor’s opinion over mine. But I also understand there is a lot of different things you can do throughout that process to make life easier for yourself. And a lot of those things I was putting in front of myself (were) self-sabotaging. I had to realize that. And grow up a little bit. I think I have. I can’t address the bipolar thing. I think that is kind of a private matter. Anybody that deals with what I have to deal with and gone through what I have gone through and understands the process I have been through understands that there is obviously a mental aspect to it, along with emotional.”

There’s no guarantee Gregory will succeed. Addiction is a daily fight regardless if the battle is with drugs or alcohol. Place mental illness into the equation, who knows what could go wrong or right for a person.

Compassion is needed. Tough love, too.

The Cowboys used to have the “Dez Rules” in place with former wide receiver Dez Bryant. Somebody would travel with Bryant to road games and live at his house. Bryant needed permission to hang out after midnight and needed to stay away from strip clubs. These rules worked during the first two seasons of Bryant’s development and may have had a long-term effect, as Bryant’s off-the-field issues settled down.

Gregory has is own sort of “Randy Rules” where a sober partner will live with him every day during the season. Ornstein said they’ll see how the plan goes for a year and evaluate it for the offseason.

This is the risk the Cowboys are taking with a talented player overcoming his problems.

“I got a good schedule like, I said before. got around the right people,” Gregory said. “Therapy has always helped. Being consistent with that. A healthy dose (of) medication and just realizing what I have on my plate, my priorities and being happy. Not only with what I am doing but with myself internally has been like the biggest, I think.”

Top Bottom