Watkins: Stephen Jones - Hatcher outplayed contract

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Stephen Jones: Hatcher outplayed contract

December, 1, 2013

By Calvin Watkins | ESPNDallas.com

Dallas Cowboys defensive tackle Jason Hatcher will become a free agent after the 2013 season, and the guarantees he returns to the team next season are undetermined.

Cowboys executive vice president Stephen Jones said on KRLD-FM before the team's victory over the Oakland Raiders on Thanksgiving Day, Hatcher has outplayed his contract and understands if there's any frustration on the player's part regarding his undetermined future.

Hatcher signed a three-year, $6 million contract with a $2.5 million signing bonus in 2011. This has been one of Hatcher's better seasons. He's got 34 tackles, leads the team with nine sacks and has five tackles for loss.

He's also emerged into one of the team leaders on and off the field.

"What a class act," Jones said last Wednesday. "He's a leader. He certainly has been solid for us. Not unlike any other player we ever had here, he wants to be paid fairly. He's certainly outperforming his contract, I'll be the first to admit that but unfortunately for us, we're in a situation that we got a very very tight cap situation and I know he understands that from a business standpoint. He may not like it but understands it."

The Cowboys are projected to be $31 million over the salary cap in 2014. Getting under the cap isn't a problem, but having space to do anything with Hatcher is.

He turns 32 in July and signing him to a three-to-five year contract at that age and considering the position he plays, is questionable. Traditionally the Cowboys have let younger defensive linemen, Chris Canty and Stephen Bowen, leave for other teams in free agency. The Cowboys also declined to give a long-term, second contract to a former first-round pick, Marcus Spears.

Former defensive tackle Jay Ratliff received two contracts, most recently a five-year, $40 million contract extension, that produced no results on the field due to injuries.

So paying a defensive lineman seems remote, but Hatcher is playing so well that he's placed the Cowboys in a difficult situation.

"But we've told him before, we've had some really great players, guys that are some of the best we've had here in Darren Woodson and Jay Novacek that actually went into free agency and tested the waters and ended up back here in Dallas. I don't know what will ultimately happen with Jason Hatcher. We certainly would love to (have) him back.

We certainly don't know what the salary cap is going to be next year as far as the league is concerned. We’re so tight that we’ll need to see that before we can make a decision on what we can do with Jason financially. We certainly want to be in the mix. We respect there may be a little frustration but what a class act. He certainly doesn’t show any of that with his teammates with he's done on the football field. I have complete admiration for the job he's done this year."

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I like that idea, gives us another year to stabilize the DL without committing to an older player...worked nicely with Spencer
The first time, maybe. Not so much, this year. It was like a self-imposed 10 mil salary cap penalty.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Hatcher Plans To Test Market After Finishing Season

Posted 30 minutes ago

David Helman DallasCowboys.com Staff Writer

IRVING, Texas – Not that anyone needed the confirmation, but Jason Hatcher feels pretty strongly about his performance in so far this season.

If his fantastic level of play on the field didn’t say enough, Hatcher said it himself Tuesday. In the Cowboys’ locker room, a reporter told Hatcher that team executive vice president Stephen Jones had said on Thanksgiving that Hatcher had outplayed his current contract, which expires after this season.

“Absolutely I did – thank you, Stephen, for recognizing that,” he said.

Hatcher is in the final month of a $6 million deal he signed in 2011. To say his output in the Cowboys’ new 4-3 defense has improved since then would be an understatement. His tackle total of 40 is the second-highest of his eight-year career, and he leads the team in sacks with nine.

Pressed for specifics about Jones’ comments, though, Hatcher was hesitant.

“I don’t want to just talk about my contract, man. I just want to focus on these next couple of games, man, and let the chips fall where they may,” he said. “I’m not worried about it. I think my play will take care of everything it is – there’s nothing you can really do about the situation or my contract, so there’s no need to talk about it.”

He’s not wrong about his play. From the three-technique spot on the Cowboys’ line, Hatcher is the NFC’s third-leading sack artist from the defensive tackle position. Among defensive tackles, he leads the league in sacks – a far cry from his production as a 3-4 nose tackle.

“It creates a lot of one-on-ones, so if you’re a decent pass rusher you can make some head in this scheme,” he said. “God blessed me to play this position, and it worked out well for me. I’ve just got to keep getting better.”

His availability is certain to draw some interest, especially given the success he’s had since switching positions. Hatcher said he plans to explore that interest when the season is over, though he reiterated his focus on finishing the season well.

“I’m going to test the market – I’m going to test the market. But you guys just leave me alone about my contract. I just once to focus on – I’m a Cowboy,” he said. “I’ve got a star on my helmet. I’m not trying to think about that. I’ll let it take care of itself when it happens. I’ve got four games to play, to be the best three-technique in the league and help my team go to the playoffs. That’s my approach.”

Of course, Hatcher’s age and the wear-and-tear on his body are sure to play a factor in whatever his future holds. He’s missed one game this season because of injury, and he’s been battling a stinger for a large portion of the year. He’ll be 32 when the 2014 season starts.

It raises an interesting question, which one reporter brought up: what if Hatcher had played three-technique, his college position at Grambling State, from the get-go?

“Man … that’s all I’ve got to say,” he said.
--------------

Said it all along. Give him a fair offer considering his age and the fact he has exactly one year of quality production. Then let him test the waters. If he gets a better deal...well, bye.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I like that idea, gives us another year to stabilize the DL without committing to an older player...worked nicely with Spencer
Money will be tight next year. Opposed to franchising, I would transition tag him. There is a difference of a million to million and a half...but all you have is the right of first refusal.

For whatever reason, teams don't use the transition tag often, even though it is a cheaper option.

Franchising him is risky, signing him long-term is patently retarded.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Jason Hatcher almost asked for trade

December, 3, 2013

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas – If the season played out the way the Dallas Cowboys had hoped, Jason Hatcher would likely not be having the kind of season he is having.

Hatcher The idea when the Cowboys moved to the 4-3 in the offseason was to play Jay Ratliff at the three technique and put Hatcher at nose tackle. In Monte Kiffin’s scheme, the three technique is the glamour position and the nose tackle does the grunt work.

But Ratliff never played a down for the Cowboys in 2013 and was cut on Oct. 16. Hatcher has put up a career-high nine sacks in 11 games (he missed one game with a stinger) and has five tackles for loss, 23 quarterback pressures, three pass deflections, a forced fumble and 40 tackles.

“Horrible,” Hatcher said when asked about the possibility of playing nose tackle. “Horrible. Horrible. I’m not a nose tackle. I probably would’ve been asking to be traded or something because I don’t like to play the nose. I’m not going to say I’m glad Rat is gone because I wish we had him because he’s a helluva football player, but God works in mysterious ways and I’m at the position. I’m making plays and having a helluva year, so I’ve got to keep it up.”

The timing couldn’t be better for Hatcher, who will be an unrestricted free agent following the season. He also turns 32 in July, which could keep the Cowboys and other teams from making a big financial play to sign him.

But speaking on KRLD-FM recently Cowboys executive vice president Stephen Jones said Hatcher has outperformed the three-year, $6 million deal he signed in 2011.

“Thank you Stephen for saying that,” Hatcher said. “I think it’s awesome. I don’t want to just talk about my contract. I just want to focus on these next couple of games, man, and let the chips fall where they may. I’m not worried about it. I think my play will take care of everything. It’s nothing you can really do about the situation with my contract, so there’s no need to be talking about it.”
-----------------

The more this guy opens his mouth, the worse he sounds sometimes.

You'd think this was a guy who had been a major producer for more than 75% of a single football season.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Hatcher has been flapping his yap way too much about himself. Just actually do what you say and let your performance dictate your fate. Stop patting yourself on the back every time you talk to the media.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Jason Hatcher almost asked for trade

December, 3, 2013

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas – If the season played out the way the Dallas Cowboys had hoped, Jason Hatcher would likely not be having the kind of season he is having.

Hatcher The idea when the Cowboys moved to the 4-3 in the offseason was to play Jay Ratliff at the three technique and put Hatcher at nose tackle. In Monte Kiffin’s scheme, the three technique is the glamour position and the nose tackle does the grunt work.

But Ratliff never played a down for the Cowboys in 2013 and was cut on Oct. 16. Hatcher has put up a career-high nine sacks in 11 games (he missed one game with a stinger) and has five tackles for loss, 23 quarterback pressures, three pass deflections, a forced fumble and 40 tackles.

“Horrible,” Hatcher said when asked about the possibility of playing nose tackle. “Horrible. Horrible. I’m not a nose tackle. I probably would’ve been asking to be traded or something because I don’t like to play the nose. I’m not going to say I’m glad Rat is gone because I wish we had him because he’s a helluva football player, but God works in mysterious ways and I’m at the position. I’m making plays and having a helluva year, so I’ve got to keep it up.”

The timing couldn’t be better for Hatcher, who will be an unrestricted free agent following the season. He also turns 32 in July, which could keep the Cowboys and other teams from making a big financial play to sign him.

But speaking on KRLD-FM recently Cowboys executive vice president Stephen Jones said Hatcher has outperformed the three-year, $6 million deal he signed in 2011.

“Thank you Stephen for saying that,” Hatcher said. “I think it’s awesome. I don’t want to just talk about my contract. I just want to focus on these next couple of games, man, and let the chips fall where they may. I’m not worried about it. I think my play will take care of everything. It’s nothing you can really do about the situation with my contract, so there’s no need to be talking about it.”
-----------------

The more this guy opens his mouth, the worse he sounds sometimes.

You'd think this was a guy who had been a major producer for more than 75% of a single football season.
I see nothing wrong with what he said why should he have been happy playing nose going into a contract year?

The fact that he never complained openly about it says a lot in my opinion and lets not act like he has been a scrub the last few years, I think it was an insult they gave the guy whose job he took more money than him.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I see nothing wrong with what he said why should he have been happy playing nose going into a contract year?

The fact that he never complained openly about it says a lot in my opinion and lets not act like he has been a scrub the last few years, I think it was an insult they gave the guy whose job he took more money than him.
I will act like he's been a role player the last few years because that is exactly what he has been.

Everything Hatcher has accomplished this year is a result of circumstance.

Jiggyfly

Banned
I will act like he's been a role player the last few years because that is exactly what he has been.

Everything Hatcher has accomplished this year is a result of circumstance.
Role player, ok then conversation over.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Role player, ok then conversation over.
What else would you call a player who starts 38/115 career games with one season in the last three he started all games he was active? A consistent quality contributor?

Jiggyfly

Banned
What else would you call a player who starts 38/115 career games with one season in the last three he started all games he was active? A consistent quality contributor?
Hatcher has been a productive starter the last 3 years, Beasly is a role player.

Even if he was a role player I have no issue with him not wanting to play out of position and give him props for not bitching about it all offseason.

Top Bottom